Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis

We have an independent jobber here that will make hoses, a lot of what they do is heavy stuff, farm equipment and big trucks.

What is the strange bracket on the Saginaw pump?

I don't know what the bracket is. Was hoping Jonathan knows since he pulled the pump off the van.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, the plot thickens. First, here's the fitting on the Sag for Dad's truck, which clearly takes a flare:

And here's the fitting on the Sag from the '95 Superduty with a partial o-ring in it on the left, which is what was confusing me, and w/o it on the right. Obviously it takes a fitting with an o-ring on the end.

Then here's the hose fitting that is needed, which is the end of the Chevy hose with the partial 0-ring dug out of the Sag fitting:

Then here's the fitting on the C-II pump from the Superduty and the fitting on the hose that mated with it. I don't fully understand how this seals as the tip of the hose fitting is .250" OD at its smallest point and the hole in the pump's fitting is .1875". But, that's really not important as we've figured out what the Saginaw pumps I have need.

Gary, the C2 pump fitting seals at the outer end, under the hex, probably uses a washer or O-ring into a recess, it should be a swivel fitting that allows the hose to move if needed.

Gary, the C2 pump fitting seals at the outer end, under the hex, probably uses a washer or O-ring into a recess, it should be a swivel fitting that allows the hose to move if needed.

Yes, I found another hose I have that actually has a nylon gasket under the head of the fitting. So I realized that's how it seals there.

Bummer! I hope that isn't the case here. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Both my NAPA's have shops attached to them.

So did CarQuest, before Advance bought them out.

Around here any place that services plows or construction equipment will make up hydraulic lines on the spot.

Upfitter's that do plows, places that rent Bobcats, excavators and the like (United Rentals) or dedicated hydraulic shops.

Personally, I like Midland Truck Parts because I know everyone from the drivers to the manager, and they take care of me.

In addition to the large aluminum casting there was a steel leg that braces the back of the pump to the block.

Jonathan - I can't get that bracket to go to the block any way I twist it. Do you remember where on the block?

All - I think I may have figured things out on the needed hose. Let's see if I can articulate it.....

The fitting that goes into this Saginaw is a 3/8" pipe fitting with a .375" OD tube. And the business end of the tube where the o-ring goes is .337", with the o-ring itself measuring .300 ID x .430 OD x .067" thick as best I can measure.

The local parts stores don't have the right fittings, but recommended that I go to Ameriflex to have that fitting put on the end of the new hose. And, from the info that came with the hose, shown below, that is a Standard O-Ring Flare.

O-Ring_Installation_Instructions.thumb.jpg.b45b97db6648a498e75b87b971309d56.jpg

So that left me trying to figure out what bends I want on it. I found this one up in the attic, and while its fitting is a flare instead of an o-ring flare, meaning it is probably the right end for Dad's truck, it does screw into the fitting so it let me mock it up.

Potential_Lower_End_For_Sag_To_Booster_Hose.thumb.jpg.fb680c1b3a33f2271288585511ec9a11.jpg

And here's a couple of shots of how it would fit. I'd been thinking that it should come out, turn right, then left/straight back and connect to the hose. What do you think?

Potential_Lower_End_In_Place.thumb.jpg.41087aa5679f616b0976db5a30d17c4e.jpgPotential_Lower_End_In_Place_-_II.thumb.jpg.4703ea762846b2ec907ea3f1b53c55de.jpg

In addition to the large aluminum casting there was a steel leg that braces the back of the pump to the block.

Jonathan - I can't get that bracket to go to the block any way I twist it. Do you remember where on the block?

All - I think I may have figured things out on the needed hose. Let's see if I can articulate it.....

The fitting that goes into this Saginaw is a 3/8" pipe fitting with a .375" OD tube. And the business end of the tube where the o-ring goes is .337", with the o-ring itself measuring .300 ID x .430 OD x .067" thick as best I can measure.

The local parts stores don't have the right fittings, but recommended that I go to Ameriflex to have that fitting put on the end of the new hose. And, from the info that came with the hose, shown below, that is a Standard O-Ring Flare.

So that left me trying to figure out what bends I want on it. I found this one up in the attic, and while its fitting is a flare instead of an o-ring flare, meaning it is probably the right end for Dad's truck, it does screw into the fitting so it let me mock it up.

And here's a couple of shots of how it would fit. I'd been thinking that it should come out, turn right, then left/straight back and connect to the hose. What do you think?

Just talked to the folks at AmeriFlex. They don't really bend up a whole new end. Instead they usually have 5 or 6 different bent ends for any given fitting, and will lay them out on the counter and let me pick one of them. But, they might be able to tweak one a bit.

I doubt that they are going to have one as fancy as shown above. So I'm thinking of what will work. If they have one that'll do what is shown below it'll work great.

But it only takes "5 minutes" once I pick one, so next week after the one comes in from Rock Auto I'll go down and see what we can do.

Simple_End_On_Saginaw_Hose.thumb.jpg.c0e04c79c5782df010faac5a4cd6493f.jpg

Gary, I would first turn it around so the slot is on the pump. It may go to an exhaust manifold bolt.

Gary, I would first turn it around so the slot is on the pump. It may go to an exhaust manifold bolt.

Thanks, Bill. I did that thinking as you that it might go to an exhaust manifold bolt, but it didn't in that try. Maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow.

But that aluminum bracket is SOLID. I'm not sure it really needs a brace. However, if I can get it to go somewhere I'll use it.

Thanks, Bill. I did that thinking as you that it might go to an exhaust manifold bolt, but it didn't in that try. Maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow.

But that aluminum bracket is SOLID. I'm not sure it really needs a brace. However, if I can get it to go somewhere I'll use it.

Mine didn't come with a brace.