Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis

Oh! I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, I'll check out the one I built for Dad's truck. Perhaps it has a different fitting on it.

But do you agree with me that it looks like the fittings in that pic should work together? Should I take more/better pics to help show them?

In the for-what-it’s-worth department, in all my reading on Saginaw conversions I have never heard any mention of multiple pressure line fitting types other than being different than C2. The business end that I bought for my conversion was packaged as a 3/8” fuel line repair kit so I’m thinking it must be a fairly standard thing?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the for-what-it’s-worth department, in all my reading on Saginaw conversions I have never heard any mention of multiple pressure line fitting types other than being different than C2. The business end that I bought for my conversion was packaged as a 3/8” fuel line repair kit so I’m thinking it must be a fairly standard thing?

Gary, remember when I took the pictures of the 460 Saginaw and one of the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L ones. The outlet fitting and flow control valve are what changes the actual pump portion, then the "ham can" or small round can + the pulley fits it to the engine application. Chrysler used the O-ring on the end of the tube as does GM with a fixed tube, Ford likes the swivel O-ring design.

Gary, remember when I took the pictures of the 460 Saginaw and one of the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L ones. The outlet fitting and flow control valve are what changes the actual pump portion, then the "ham can" or small round can + the pulley fits it to the engine application. Chrysler used the O-ring on the end of the tube as does GM with a fixed tube, Ford likes the swivel O-ring design.

Bill, this is exactly what I meant above.

That the other automakers use different output fittings.

Bill, this is exactly what I meant above.

That the other automakers use different output fittings.

Ok guys, the plot thickens. First, here's the fitting on the Sag for Dad's truck, which clearly takes a flare:

Fitting_On_Sag_Pump_For_Dads.thumb.jpg.177685c9b59560c54c08cf0507659e22.jpg

And here's the fitting on the Sag from the '95 Superduty with a partial o-ring in it on the left, which is what was confusing me, and w/o it on the right. Obviously it takes a fitting with an o-ring on the end.

E-Series_Sag_Fitting_With_O-Ring.thumb.jpg.c4d4a05afe32c196210e5f2037e35d80.jpgE-Series_Sag_Fitting_Without_O-Ring.thumb.jpg.9b6506b9af87305ed84be8254f15af25.jpg

Then here's the hose fitting that is needed, which is the end of the Chevy hose with the partial 0-ring dug out of the Sag fitting:

Correct_Hose_Fitting_For_E-Series_Sag.thumb.jpg.ab8a2957cbf1e429371a4dc12b641804.jpg

Then here's the fitting on the C-II pump from the Superduty and the fitting on the hose that mated with it. I don't fully understand how this seals as the tip of the hose fitting is .250" OD at its smallest point and the hole in the pump's fitting is .1875". But, that's really not important as we've figured out what the Saginaw pumps I have need.

C-II_Fitting_From_SuperDuty.thumb.jpg.61ceb11bc3ba5c70964039e5bc24aa0d.jpgHose_End_That_Mated_With_C-II_Pump.thumb.jpg.6d8cb3d02a449f63fafff144d5fa4b2e.jpg

Ok guys, the plot thickens. First, here's the fitting on the Sag for Dad's truck, which clearly takes a flare:

And here's the fitting on the Sag from the '95 Superduty with a partial o-ring in it on the left, which is what was confusing me, and w/o it on the right. Obviously it takes a fitting with an o-ring on the end.

Then here's the hose fitting that is needed, which is the end of the Chevy hose with the partial 0-ring dug out of the Sag fitting:

Then here's the fitting on the C-II pump from the Superduty and the fitting on the hose that mated with it. I don't fully understand how this seals as the tip of the hose fitting is .250" OD at its smallest point and the hole in the pump's fitting is .1875". But, that's really not important as we've figured out what the Saginaw pumps I have need.

So, there are at least two fittings for the Sag pump - flare and o-ring style. I don't remember off hand where I got the one for Dad's truck, but will look for what I said when I got it. But we know the one for the Superduty takes an o-ring.

So now we need to decide on the best approach to get the right hose. Here are three different approaches, but I'm sure there are others. Please chime in:

• Use the flare fitting, either via using the pump that was for Dad's truck or swapping fittings. And then have a hose made with a flare on the bottom. That could be done via using the Superduty replacement hose like Alfie did.

• Stay with the o-ring fitting and have that style of end put on a new Superduty hose.

• Use the o-ring fitting and have a new fitting put on the top of the Chevy hose - assuming the Chevy hose will connect to the pump w/o a lot of re-bending, and I'll check that out after lunch......

So, there are at least two fittings for the Sag pump - flare and o-ring style. I don't remember off hand where I got the one for Dad's truck, but will look for what I said when I got it. But we know the one for the Superduty takes an o-ring.

So now we need to decide on the best approach to get the right hose. Here are three different approaches, but I'm sure there are others. Please chime in:

• Use the flare fitting, either via using the pump that was for Dad's truck or swapping fittings. And then have a hose made with a flare on the bottom. That could be done via using the Superduty replacement hose like Alfie did.

• Stay with the o-ring fitting and have that style of end put on a new Superduty hose.

• Use the o-ring fitting and have a new fitting put on the top of the Chevy hose - assuming the Chevy hose will connect to the pump w/o a lot of re-bending, and I'll check that out after lunch......

The Chevy hose has a long metal tube down at the bottom that has all the wrong bends on it, so it isn't a good place to start. I think I'll return it and get the Superduty hose that goes to the C-II pump and then have a new fitting put on it.

But I need to figure out what bends it ought to have in the metal tubing, so I put the bits and pieces together to see what would be needed.

First, here are the lines connected to the booster. The low pressure return and the supply from the pump are the ones that came with the booster from the Superduty. The high pressure return is the new Superduty one.

PS_and_Hydroboost_Hose_Routing.thumb.jpg.0dfea4290d2d8332985cce34ce6fb184.jpg

And this shows the lower end:

Power_Steering_Hoses.thumb.jpg.4904a979df36c7ad50f2e489e7eed69b.jpg

And then here's the back of the pump. The red line shows what I'm thinking for the metal line to go to the pump's output, and there's plenty of room to make gentle bends. And, Jonathan, do you remember what the bracket circled in yellow goes to?

Back_Of_Saginaw_Pump_-_Output.thumb.jpg.45eb7adbbdb8696d7e35ece95ce1d3f0.jpg

And I installed the cooler off Huck:

PS_Cooler_Tube_Installed.thumb.jpg.5d4f1dbcd7b242f2ce2cfa2a9db1c99b.jpg

And here are the low pressure return lines. the return from the hydrobooster fits the Saginaw pump like it was made for it, and I'll install a tee as shown and connect the return from the cooler to it. The return line from the booster measures .388 ID and the one from the cooler measures .313". But a 3/8" barb fits perfectly.

Return_Lines.thumb.jpg.684d792e0d69b7d07d7ee99b5792b013.jpg

The Chevy hose has a long metal tube down at the bottom that has all the wrong bends on it, so it isn't a good place to start. I think I'll return it and get the Superduty hose that goes to the C-II pump and then have a new fitting put on it.

But I need to figure out what bends it ought to have in the metal tubing, so I put the bits and pieces together to see what would be needed.

First, here are the lines connected to the booster. The low pressure return and the supply from the pump are the ones that came with the booster from the Superduty. The high pressure return is the new Superduty one.

And this shows the lower end:

And then here's the back of the pump. The red line shows what I'm thinking for the metal line to go to the pump's output, and there's plenty of room to make gentle bends. And, Jonathan, do you remember what the bracket circled in yellow goes to?

And I installed the cooler off Huck:

And here are the low pressure return lines. the return from the hydrobooster fits the Saginaw pump like it was made for it, and I'll install a tee as shown and connect the return from the cooler to it. The return line from the booster measures .388 ID and the one from the cooler measures .313". But a 3/8" barb fits perfectly.

The return labeled is printed for the Chevy line and the Superduty line is on order. Now I need to find someone that will put the fitting the new hose. IIRC I've had O'Reilly's here make hoses. Or was it Bumper To Bumper? Guess I need to talk to these folks and see.

The return labeled is printed for the Chevy line and the Superduty line is on order. Now I need to find someone that will put the fitting the new hose. IIRC I've had O'Reilly's here make hoses. Or was it Bumper To Bumper? Guess I need to talk to these folks and see.

In AZ I could not get any of the parts houses to make one, even Napa. I had to go to a machine shop.