Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis

And to answer your other question... no I did not send the van line since it was not for hydroboost. It was extremely short and went straight to the gearbox. There were no Ford vans with hydroboost that I know of. The vehicle was a ‘95 E350.

1. You could try what you have, but I would wrap it with rags in case it leaks it won’t spray and make a mess.

2. You could have the end changed like I did, parts and labor to crimp on the universal union was a bit over $50. The steel line is cut-to-length which saved me on my long I-6.

3. Order the Chevy line (~$20) and return it and try #2 if it does not fit or work for some reason.

4. There is supposedly a way to adapt the fitting, but my understanding was it wasn’t just a single part, and I was unable to confirm exactly what I needed and adding more joints that could leak didn’t thrill me.

My plans for starting up the engine is not to have the PS/AC belt on, so won't have to worry about leaks at that point. But later I'll certainly want to have rags handy.

However, I'll probably just order the Chevy line. That will be far less expensive than having something made.

Thanks.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My plans for starting up the engine is not to have the PS/AC belt on, so won't have to worry about leaks at that point. But later I'll certainly want to have rags handy.

However, I'll probably just order the Chevy line. That will be far less expensive than having something made.

Thanks.

I just ordered the pump/hydroboost hose for the Chevy, and ordered the hydroboost/steering gear hose for a '95 SuperDuty w/a 7.5L. Should be in next Wednesday.

Meanwhile I'll get back to the transfer case........

I just ordered the pump/hydroboost hose for the Chevy, and ordered the hydroboost/steering gear hose for a '95 SuperDuty w/a 7.5L. Should be in next Wednesday.

Meanwhile I'll get back to the transfer case........

Well, the hoses from Rock Auto came in today. And the high-pressure return line from the hydroboost unit to the sector box looks like it'll work, although it will take some tweaking of the bends to get it where I want it.

But the Chevy hose, #366630, doesn't fit. The fitting for the hydroboost end is metric, with a 1.5mm pitch and a .700" OD while the one that came off the hydroboost has an 18 tpi pitch and measure .680" OD.

Alfie - Do you have a part number for the fitting you used, the one below? And do you know if it is the correct fitting for the Saginaw pump? Someone that knows ID'd the fitting? Have you fired it up?

I ask because I think I'm going to have to have a hose made as well, so if you've solved the problem maybe I can swap the Chevy hose for the Superduty hose and have that end put on.

IMG_0291.thumb.jpeg.004fc9429bb508306e0c71395f6ce092.jpeg

Well, the hoses from Rock Auto came in today. And the high-pressure return line from the hydroboost unit to the sector box looks like it'll work, although it will take some tweaking of the bends to get it where I want it.

But the Chevy hose, #366630, doesn't fit. The fitting for the hydroboost end is metric, with a 1.5mm pitch and a .700" OD while the one that came off the hydroboost has an 18 tpi pitch and measure .680" OD.

Alfie - Do you have a part number for the fitting you used, the one below? And do you know if it is the correct fitting for the Saginaw pump? Someone that knows ID'd the fitting? Have you fired it up?

I ask because I think I'm going to have to have a hose made as well, so if you've solved the problem maybe I can swap the Chevy hose for the Superduty hose and have that end put on.

Bummer... sorry to give you bad information Gary 😔. So much for an affordable off the shelf solution...

Next best thing will be to get the F-Superduty pump to hydroboost hose and have the end changed. One thing about the way I did it on my I-6 with the universal union and cut-to-fit steel line is you can make up the length that you loose when the hydroboost C2 end is cut. I am curious if this is what Alfie did also, or something different. The hose shop told me they could use the hydroboost end hard line from my original line, and build the rest (hose + Saginaw end) and the hose could be any length, but it would have almost doubled the price.

Bummer... sorry to give you bad information Gary 😔. So much for an affordable off the shelf solution...

Next best thing will be to get the F-Superduty pump to hydroboost hose and have the end changed. One thing about the way I did it on my I-6 with the universal union and cut-to-fit steel line is you can make up the length that you loose when the hydroboost C2 end is cut. I am curious if this is what Alfie did also, or something different. The hose shop told me they could use the hydroboost end hard line from my original line, and build the rest (hose + Saginaw end) and the hose could be any length, but it would have almost doubled the price.

Jonathan - No problem. It was worth a try.

I think I'll order the Superduty hose and then figure out what connector is needed for the pump and have it put on. I'd like to get someone that knows fittings to eyeball the one on the pump and say "Oh, that's an XYZ fitting." That way those that come after us will know what to get.

Perhaps Alfie knows?

Jonathan - No problem. It was worth a try.

I think I'll order the Superduty hose and then figure out what connector is needed for the pump and have it put on. I'd like to get someone that knows fittings to eyeball the one on the pump and say "Oh, that's an XYZ fitting." That way those that come after us will know what to get.

Perhaps Alfie knows?

Gary,

In your. 2/11. 4:04 reply it looks almost like the C2 pump has an inverted flare fitting (no O-ring), where the Sag has a swivel connection.

I recall that when I was installing the pump I got from Bill's friend Donnie Medllin(?) I had removed the output fitting from the pump(s) to see if I could swap them, to no avail.

Gary,

In your. 2/11. 4:04 reply it looks almost like the C2 pump has an inverted flare fitting (no O-ring), where the Sag has a swivel connection.

I recall that when I was installing the pump I got from Bill's friend Donnie Medllin(?) I had removed the output fitting from the pump(s) to see if I could swap them, to no avail.

I don't know enough about hydraulic fittings to know what to call any of them. But the C-II appears to be flat.

The Saginaw pump has an o-ring in it that apparently takes a tapered tip on the end of the fitting. And I think the two in this pic would work. But I want someone that knows about those kinds of things to confirm that before I try.

But you've nixed what I was thinking about. I have the Sag I rebuilt for Dad's truck and wondered if it might have a different fitting. I think I'll still look, but you are saying the fittings don't interchange? So I'd have to use the whole pump?

Hydroboost_Hose_and_Saginaw_Fitting.thumb.jpg.7f8f512c4463b476339a22daf5f733ed.jpg

I don't know enough about hydraulic fittings to know what to call any of them. But the C-II appears to be flat.

The Saginaw pump has an o-ring in it that apparently takes a tapered tip on the end of the fitting. And I think the two in this pic would work. But I want someone that knows about those kinds of things to confirm that before I try.

But you've nixed what I was thinking about. I have the Sag I rebuilt for Dad's truck and wondered if it might have a different fitting. I think I'll still look, but you are saying the fittings don't interchange? So I'd have to use the whole pump?

Gary,

I'm saying the C-II and Saginaw fittings don't interchange.

I know nothing about Saginaw to Saginaw, but there were a HUGE array of those pumps built for all three of the major U.S. automakers of the time.

Gary,

I'm saying the C-II and Saginaw fittings don't interchange.

I know nothing about Saginaw to Saginaw, but there were a HUGE array of those pumps built for all three of the major U.S. automakers of the time.

Oh! I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, I'll check out the one I built for Dad's truck. Perhaps it has a different fitting on it.

But do you agree with me that it looks like the fittings in that pic should work together? Should I take more/better pics to help show them?

Oh! I misunderstood. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, I'll check out the one I built for Dad's truck. Perhaps it has a different fitting on it.

But do you agree with me that it looks like the fittings in that pic should work together? Should I take more/better pics to help show them?

I see an O-ring in one fitting and none in the other.

Even if the thread and depth were the same, having no seal, or two seals against one another, is not going to work.