Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis

Summit has these for $16.

But I'm drawn to this one from Dirty Dingo Motorsports via Amazon. Perhaps it is because they show the pic below. But I need to verify the fitting sizes as they don't give the metric size.

I'm liking the external ones as they are somewhat obvious when you lay a new pump beside the old one. But the internal one isn't as obvious. Anyway, this looks to be the better approach rather than modify the pumps.

Did some checking today and confirmed that these are the fitting sizes:

• Early Saginaw ('78 Lincoln): 5/8-18

• Late Saginaw ('95 E350): 16mm-1.5mm

Note that I may have previously said the early fitting is 3/8" pipe. It isn't. The male fitting measures .580" in the grooves and .613" on top of the threads. (The grooves may be smaller but my calipers won't go down in to the bottom.) And 5/8-18 is supposed to be .555 & .625". But 3/8 pipe is supposed to be .675" on the top of the threads at some point, so this isn't 3/8 pipe.

Given that, I've opted to not go with the Dirty Dingo part as they say theirs is 3/8 pipe. I doubt it, but why take the chance.

So, I ordered these from Summit. One is the right size and the other is the next size larger. And they have good reviews, for the most part.

CPP_Fittings.thumb.jpg.674887a355f9d2636e2370b3f14c382e.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some checking today and confirmed that these are the fitting sizes:

• Early Saginaw ('78 Lincoln): 5/8-18

• Late Saginaw ('95 E350): 16mm-1.5mm

Note that I may have previously said the early fitting is 3/8" pipe. It isn't. The male fitting measures .580" in the grooves and .613" on top of the threads. (The grooves may be smaller but my calipers won't go down in to the bottom.) And 5/8-18 is supposed to be .555 & .625". But 3/8 pipe is supposed to be .675" on the top of the threads at some point, so this isn't 3/8 pipe.

Given that, I've opted to not go with the Dirty Dingo part as they say theirs is 3/8 pipe. I doubt it, but why take the chance.

So, I ordered these from Summit. One is the right size and the other is the next size larger. And they have good reviews, for the most part.

I got the above fittings in this morning and thought I'd close this off as the smaller of the two was a perfect fit. Now I can tell my kids to use an '95 E350 power steering pump, but make sure to pull the adapter out before returning the old one as a core.

Adapter_In_95_E350_Saginaw_Pump.thumb.jpg.e470794a249cc84967da8091ce9bd478.jpg

I got the above fittings in this morning and thought I'd close this off as the smaller of the two was a perfect fit. Now I can tell my kids to use an '95 E350 power steering pump, but make sure to pull the adapter out before returning the old one as a core.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together! :nabble_smiley_grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Bill - I have to keep the outlet fitting (pressure union) as that's what mates with this hose. But looking at the exploded view, below, that doesn't appear to have anything to do with the pressure or flow.

Is it the control valve that determines the pressure? It may be directly behind the fitting.

So, are you saying I should swap the ham can, inc the fitting to the E-series pump?

A little tidbit of info to add. There isn't enough difference between 37 degree and 45 degree flares to worry about. Once you tighten the tube nut or flare nut down it will swage the line into compliance. I had this discussion with my guy at the hose shop a couple of months ago. Regardless they flare at 45 degrees no matter what and nothing comes back to them.

A little tidbit of info to add. There isn't enough difference between 37 degree and 45 degree flares to worry about. Once you tighten the tube nut or flare nut down it will swage the line into compliance. I had this discussion with my guy at the hose shop a couple of months ago. Regardless they flare at 45 degrees no matter what and nothing comes back to them.

Good to know, Brandon. Thanks.