Bullnose Forums

Hydroboost Planning

Gary Lewis

Jonathan - I'm confused and conflicted. I thought the stuff I got from Jim included a Saginaw pump, but now I'm not sure. I'll need to go look.

Anyway, whatever pump it came with is probably the one I'm going to use since I've powder coated the bracket for that pump and I don't think the C2 and Sag use the same bracket.

And, while he had to cut some hoses, I'm thinking I can just go back with hoses for that application. Right?

Gary,

I didn't 'have to cut some hoses' , but I sure didn't have a crow's foot on me that afternoon.

It is a C2. You didn't seem interested in it at first.

Bill has a good illustration of the different bosses on the back side.

I don't think it's anything you couldn't correct with a mill, or some spacers. (forget which were equal and which weren't)

Gary,

I didn't 'have to cut some hoses' , but I sure didn't have a crow's foot on me that afternoon.

I don't think it's anything you couldn't correct with a mill, or some spacers. (forget which were equal and which weren't)

I wasn't too interested as I planned to go with a Saginaw, although I thought getting the hoses was a good idea so wanted that whole setup. But, having gotten this far and knowing that the C2 apparently worked fine on the SuperDuty I think I'll use it.

I wasn't too interested as I planned to go with a Saginaw, although I thought getting the hoses was a good idea so wanted that whole setup. But, having gotten this far and knowing that the C2 apparently worked fine on the SuperDuty I think I'll use it.

Oh, and now I remember - you just had to cut the tube 'cause you couldn't get the fitting off. No problemo as I should be able to either have a new fitting crimped on or just buy the correct hose.

Gary,

I am trying to find the pictures I took of the C2 and Saginaw brackets for a 460 polygroove belt system. Not only are they different depths, the C2 has all three bolts spaced 120° apart, the Saginaw has them staggered.

I know that Jonathan's done this, and Bill and I are planning on going with hydroboost. But I need to think through the pump situation.

I have the C2 pump and hydroboost setup, including the all-important pedal, that Jim pulled off of the '95 F450 for me. And Jonathan found me a Saginaw serpentine setup from a '90 E350. So I want to use the Sag but need to devise a 2nd return.

Bill says a dual-return tank is probably available for the Sag, but I've also read that brazing in a 2nd return is easy. Plus, I've seen others just put a tee in the return.

Thoughts? Ideas?

So, in my first post, above, I knew the one from Jim is a C2. (Of all the things I've lost in my life, my memory is the one I miss the most. But wait, maybe I've never been able to remember? I can't remember whether I could or not. :nabble_smiley_cry:) And, do I have a Saginaw bracket and pump from Jonathan????

I'll have to go figure this out in a bit. The plot thickens.....

This is the one from the 1995 F450/SuperDuty Jim got parts off of for you and I. But I don't remember what pump it had on it. I've got it in a tote in the shop and will look in the morning, for sure.

I've been thinking it is a Saginaw, but don't know that it really is. :nabble_anim_confused:

Gary, I know you got the hydroboost equipment from Jim, but I pulled and sent you the E350 serpentine Saginaw bracket and pump. I assumed that was what you were going to use on Big Blue? The only catch is the pressure hose, and you will need to T the return line or source a hydroboost reservoir.

Gary, I know you got the hydroboost equipment from Jim, but I pulled and sent you the E350 serpentine Saginaw bracket and pump. I assumed that was what you were going to use on Big Blue? The only catch is the pressure hose, and you will need to T the return line or source a hydroboost reservoir.

Yes, I'd forgotten that, Jonathan. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But what I don't know is which bracket I've powder coated and installed. Not that it is a big deal as PC'ing the other one isn't hard and swapping is a piece of cake at this point. But, I didn't pay any attention to which one I used, so will have to go see in a bit.

And, knowing I had the Saginaw is why you explained what you did about the Chevy pressure line. Thanks!

Yes, I'd forgotten that, Jonathan. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But what I don't know is which bracket I've powder coated and installed. Not that it is a big deal as PC'ing the other one isn't hard and swapping is a piece of cake at this point. But, I didn't pay any attention to which one I used, so will have to go see in a bit.

And, knowing I had the Saginaw is why you explained what you did about the Chevy pressure line. Thanks!

Boy, I’m glad I’m not the only one forgetting things... wait, what were we talking about?

Boy, I’m glad I’m not the only one forgetting things... wait, what were we talking about?

I’ve always had a pretty good memory... but the last couple of years not so much. Between stress and age I am approaching the point where I could plan my own surprise party... and it’s a bummer.

I’ve always had a pretty good memory... but the last couple of years not so much. Between stress and age I am approaching the point where I could plan my own surprise party... and it’s a bummer.

Ya'll are right - memory loss is a pain!

Anyway, the mystery is solved. I have the wrong bracket installed. It is a C2 bracket that has never been broken and is nicely powder coated. Bill - do need such a bracket for Darth?

Below is a pic with a C2 bracket on the top and a Saginaw bracket on the bottom - with a Sag pump installed. (That's the bracket and pump Jonathan sent to me - thanks again!) Note that the Sag bracket has been neatly repaired where the bottom tab was broken off - probably because someone didn't install the plate behind the water pump. And note that the C2 bracket is still broken - and I know why it was broken as it was on Huck and had no backing plate.

Also, note that the Sag bracket only has holes for three bolts, even though the pump itself has four bolt holes. The Ford application didn't use the fourth bolt hole. And therein may have been why and where I erred. I knew that a Sag pump has four bolt holes, so I assume I looked at the three brackets I have and realized all three have three bolt holes, but didn't look at the spacing. Given that I picked the best of them - the one that hadn't been broken. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

But obviously I chose poorly. So now I'll have to blast and PC the Sag bracket. Sure glad it was caught at this point as that won't be all that big of an issue. However, I'll then need to sort out the pressure hose, although Jonathan has given a good solution.

And then there's the return, and both Alfie and Jonathan have said just teeing it into the normal return will work. Or, I could either try to find a hydroboost reservoir or braze a return fitting into this one.

Now we are back on track! Thanks for bringing me back gently. :nabble_smiley_good:

Saginaw_vs_C2_Polygroove_460_Brackets.thumb.jpg.097d9c08c857f4e64d47b28ff8896c47.jpg