Bullnose Forums

F250 Heavy Duty vs Light Duty, vs F350 (1984)

I really wanted it, and could have had the camper top for free but to get it across the country would have cost a bundle. I saw one once that looked like it was made by Airstream.

This is interesting. One of my pet peeves is with a company that rents trailers and moving equipment.

They say my F250 isn't rated enough to haul a 02 Jeep Liberty on an auto trailer. I’ve called them and emailed them to try to explain their reasoning. One lady told me “if our computer says it can’t, it is right!”

I’ve always thought that this is an F350 with F250 badging. I looked into weights and such, but don’t remember it or forgot.

Interesting, “veddy interessting!”

This is interesting. One of my pet peeves is with a company that rents trailers and moving equipment.

They say my F250 isn't rated enough to haul a 02 Jeep Liberty on an auto trailer. I’ve called them and emailed them to try to explain their reasoning. One lady told me “if our computer says it can’t, it is right!”

I’ve always thought that this is an F350 with F250 badging. I looked into weights and such, but don’t remember it or forgot.

Interesting, “veddy interessting!”

Dane, they class it as a 3/4 ton, not a 7/8 ton.

It's not quite in the 9,000# class that the 350 is, but at 8600 my truck has hauled two ton of stone dust, roofing shingles, and stove pellets many, many times without problems.

The one time I worried was with 72 pieces of sheetrock. (There was no lightweight stuff back then)

I got short stopped and blew the friction right off the left caliper. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I buy the best pads I can now.

Dane, they class it as a 3/4 ton, not a 7/8 ton.

It's not quite in the 9,000# class that the 350 is, but at 8600 my truck has hauled two ton of stone dust, roofing shingles, and stove pellets many, many times without problems.

The one time I worried was with 72 pieces of sheetrock. (There was no lightweight stuff back then)

I got short stopped and blew the friction right off the left caliper. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I buy the best pads I can now.

Yes, the CG is quite high on a camper, and they are hard to handle in the wind. I don't think our '72 had sway bars, so Big Blue would be better due to having them. But still, sitting that high it can't be good. A trailer would handle better and probably have better aerodynamics.

Arte, I mean Dane, you can go to the specs on Documentation/Specification/Trailer Towing and that gives Ford's official statement on capability. But the rental company gets to make their own rules. I remember back when Explorer & Firestone was a deadly combo I rented a trailer from U-Haul. The guy didn't even ask what I was towing with and when I commented on that he said "As long as it is not an Explorer - we won't let you pull with one of those."

.... I suspect that camper would have been a good match for Big Blue. I don't remember the GVWR for the '72, but I think it was every bit of the 8600 Big Blue has.

I doubted that (remember, '72 was still a "real" 3/4 ton, not a heavy-duty 3/4 ton) so I Googled it. The first hit was an FTE post where NumberDummy said that '72 F-250s could have a GVW of 7,100 or 7,700 lbs.

It's likely that the '72 (2WD probably) had a lower empty weight than Big Blue. And possibly even by the 900 lb difference in ratings. So it may well have had as high a payload rating as Big Blue. But not the same GVWR.

.... I suspect that camper would have been a good match for Big Blue. I don't remember the GVWR for the '72, but I think it was every bit of the 8600 Big Blue has.

I doubted that (remember, '72 was still a "real" 3/4 ton, not a heavy-duty 3/4 ton) so I Googled it. The first hit was an FTE post where NumberDummy said that '72 F-250s could have a GVW of 7,100 or 7,700 lbs.

It's likely that the '72 (2WD probably) had a lower empty weight than Big Blue. And possibly even by the 900 lb difference in ratings. So it may well have had as high a payload rating as Big Blue. But not the same GVWR.

Interesting, Bob. Thanks for doing the research. I'm surprised that Big Blue has a higher GVWR, but I do remember the '72 feeling more nimble, or less bulky, than BB. But, that's memory and across almost 50 years.

Janey and I've been dreaming, partially fueled by this thread. In fact, we were remembering one of our favorite trips in the '72 and camper just last night, and she said "What is your favorite memory of that?" And it was "The smell of coffee and breakfast in the morning!" This morning she cooked pancakes and boy did they smell good!

And with your post we just talked about "what if we had a trailer?" Big Blue is set up for a either a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch, I don't know which. And my understanding is either of those hitches is superior to a bumper hitch, for a number of reasons.

So, if there was a great bargain on one right now I could probably talk her into it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That camper isn't a monster. Its a little 8 footer. :nabble_smiley_evil:

We had a 9 1/2' fully self-contained camper. Bought it new in '72 with an F250 w/a 390. Fully self-contained means it had a bathroom & shower, gas/electric fridge w/freezer, gas range, gas water heater, electrical system that converted 110 to 12v, & overhead sleeping as well as a table with u-shaped seating that converted into another bed.

I suspect that camper would have been a good match for Big Blue. I don't remember the GVWR for the '72, but I think it was every bit of the 8600 Big Blue has.

Interesting Gary, we had a Wolverine 11.5' slide in I hauled with my 1977 F150, the original 300 six would handle it, but it wasn't fast getting up to speed and at 60 mph was running almost no manifold vacuum. That was why it got a 390 Camper Special engine, even dug around and found both a factory Duraspark distributor and used it with my DS-II module and the correct Holley 4160 series with the special power circuit setup.

I designed a dual system for it and had a local muffler shop build it for me using a pair of real Corvair Turbo Mufflers. With a C6 and 3.25 rear it would get 16-17 mpg highway without the camper. With the camper and towing our 1981 Omni Mizer it got 10-12 mpg. I had used a neighbor's 1968 GMC camper model as a pattern for a slide out rear bumper which was quite hefty slide pieces were some healthy galvanized steel pipe a 1' long section welded on the bottom of the rear of the frame and a longer section that would slide into the frame part. A pair of 1/2" diameter pins and two 1/2-13 Allen head bolts to take up the slack secured it in or out and it was sturdy enough out to (a) tow the 1987 Horizon that replaced the Omni when our daughter was rear ended in it and (b) support the camper steps without flexing.

.... And with your post we just talked about "what if we had a trailer?" Big Blue is set up for a either a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch, I don't know which. And my understanding is either of those hitches is superior to a bumper hitch, for a number of reasons.

So, if there was a great bargain on one right now I could probably talk her into it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't know a ton about goosenecks or 5th wheels. My understanding is that goosenecks offer better articulation than 5th wheels, which is important in trailers that will be towed through farm fields or construction sites. And 5th wheels have a higher hitch point, so they have less leverage on the trailer. there are kits to convert a 5th wheel trailer to a gooseneck, but I've heard that's not a good idea because the higher leverage on the trailer that wasn't meant for it isn't a good idea. I don't know what other advantages 5th wheels have, but the point is probably moot because camper trailers are essentially never gooseneck. They're either bumper-pull or 5th wheel.

In a big trailer I'm sure a 5th wheel is more stable than a bumper-pull. But they do take up the bed and can't be hooked to the front receiver to push into tight spots. Also backing a 5th wheel is a different skill-set compared to backing a bumper-pull due to the hitch point being at or in front of the rear axle vs being overhung behind the rear axle. Combine that with being able to hook a bumper-pull to just about any truck vs the number of vehicles equipped to tow a 5th wheel and personally I'd go with a bumper-pull unless you were looking for a big trailer.

If you were looking to full-time in it you'd want big and a 5th wheel might be a much better choice. But if you were in the 22' - 24' range, which would be good for 2 people camping for a week or two, I'd definitely recommend bumper-pull. Even the nominally 28' trailer my folks have (probably closer to 32' tongue to bumper), at around 5000 - 6000 lbs empty tows pretty well behind my F-250HD, even without a weight distributing hitch (I just got a weight distributing hitch this past week for when I pull it back to their cabin this weekend).

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58114/DSC_0367.jpg

.... And with your post we just talked about "what if we had a trailer?" Big Blue is set up for a either a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch, I don't know which. And my understanding is either of those hitches is superior to a bumper hitch, for a number of reasons.

I don't know a ton about goosenecks or 5th wheels. My understanding is that goosenecks offer better articulation than 5th wheels, which is important in trailers that will be towed through farm fields or construction sites. And 5th wheels have a higher hitch point, so they have less leverage on the trailer. there are kits to convert a 5th wheel trailer to a gooseneck, but I've heard that's not a good idea because the higher leverage on the trailer that wasn't meant for it isn't a good idea. I don't know what other advantages 5th wheels have, but the point is probably moot because camper trailers are essentially never gooseneck. They're either bumper-pull or 5th wheel.

In a big trailer I'm sure a 5th wheel is more stable than a bumper-pull. But they do take up the bed and can't be hooked to the front receiver to push into tight spots. Also backing a 5th wheel is a different skill-set compared to backing a bumper-pull due to the hitch point being at or in front of the rear axle vs being overhung behind the rear axle. Combine that with being able to hook a bumper-pull to just about any truck vs the number of vehicles equipped to tow a 5th wheel and personally I'd go with a bumper-pull unless you were looking for a big trailer.

If you were looking to full-time in it you'd want big and a 5th wheel might be a much better choice. But if you were in the 22' - 24' range, which would be good for 2 people camping for a week or two, I'd definitely recommend bumper-pull. Even the nominally 28' trailer my folks have (probably closer to 32' tongue to bumper), at around 5000 - 6000 lbs empty tows pretty well behind my F-250HD, even without a weight distributing hitch (I just got a weight distributing hitch this past week for when I pull it back to their cabin this weekend).

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58114/DSC_0367.jpg

I would rather have a conventional or bumper pull for the same reason. I could tow with the Burb or Bronco if it’s not too big.

I’ve never towed a fifth wheel, but had people tell me how much better they are. I’ve towed many conventional trailers and never had a problem and I have never used a weight distributing hitch, although I’d like to try one.

I would like to tow a fifth wheel and possibly may some day. As mentioned, if it’s bigger and I do like the floorplans on big fifth wheels.

I would rather have a conventional or bumper pull for the same reason. I could tow with the Burb or Bronco if it’s not too big.

I’ve never towed a fifth wheel, but had people tell me how much better they are. I’ve towed many conventional trailers and never had a problem and I have never used a weight distributing hitch, although I’d like to try one.

I would like to tow a fifth wheel and possibly may some day. As mentioned, if it’s bigger and I do like the floorplans on big fifth wheels.

You'se guys have good thoughts. If we had a bumper-pull trailer I could pull it with either Blue or Big Blue. Blue would be the choice if our kids were to use it as there are four of them. But Big Blue would allow us to go to the mountains and then off-road during the day.

And, the front receiver bit is a big plus. Huge in fact. We have a tricky exit from the driveway to the street with brick pillars either side, and getting a trailer in or out is a pain - especially in. So I really like having the front receiver and walking it in with the t-case and tranny both in low.

You'se guys have good thoughts. If we had a bumper-pull trailer I could pull it with either Blue or Big Blue. Blue would be the choice if our kids were to use it as there are four of them. But Big Blue would allow us to go to the mountains and then off-road during the day.

And, the front receiver bit is a big plus. Huge in fact. We have a tricky exit from the driveway to the street with brick pillars either side, and getting a trailer in or out is a pain - especially in. So I really like having the front receiver and walking it in with the t-case and tranny both in low.

I towed boat trailers and small utility trailers many miles with my 1964 Falcon with the 260 V8. I have towed a 30' 5th wheel with a slideout first with my 1977 F150, then after finding out 3 things (1) Ford was balanced out on Diesel automatic F250s in Feb-Mar 1994 (coinciding with the Powerstroke introduction) (2) Dodge only had standard cab 2500s in 1994 and (3) GM's Diesel would not pull a 10K 5th wheel ("you can get a 454").

My late wife had taken a week off after quitting one job before starting another so I took the 5th wheel up to a place outside Gordonsville VA with the F150. She was next to a gentleman who had a 33 ft 5th wheel and a truck, he wanted to sell the truck for $4500, Karen said it was a crew cab dually, my reaction was "too big and unwieldy", well, as they said on TV, the rest is history/ I looked at the truck drove it, I think I found where :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: came from, he was the 3 day a week part time mechanic at Gordonsville Ford. There were lots of little things wrong. I took my youngest son, Matt, and a tent up there in the 87 Horizon with the tow bar and a drawbar with a 2" ball I used behind the 77 with the pickup camper. Did a few needed repairs, like putting the Holley accelerator pump linkage on correctly. The seller brightly informed me it had an oil leak, by the time we got to a friend's house in Suffolk VA (he does phenomenal fiberglass work and both rear fenders were broken, part of one was in the bed) the Horizon looked like I had followed a Vega down I-64 and US 17.

Roy fixed the fenders and I replaced the tie rods, they were still the original rubber insert Ford ones. Oil leak was the filer adapter bolt had loosened. That was 26 years ago last month, and needless to say I still have Darth.