Bullnose Forums

F250 Heavy Duty vs Light Duty, vs F350 (1984)

At least he didn't shear the studs off or crack the drum! :nabble_smiley_good:

The D-60 was phased out as a running change during the '85 model year.

Ford started using the 10.25" Sterling as Dana stock was used up at the various pickup truck lines.

The D60 is a good axle, but a PITA to do brake work on.

Actually, he did damage the wheel. I'm going to have to swap out the rim with my spare. Some of the holes are bigger now. Probably a bad thing.

So I could have a Dana or a Sterling? I tried to find markings where they would typically be on the Dana but couldn't find any.

Very true, Bob. Seems strange that they created the F250HD. So I wonder why people bought them? Why not an F350?....

Were they even advertised different? I would think if they advertised them as an HD they would have an HD badge on them which never existed. They all say F250.

Internally there are differences as we've seen, but to the normal person ordering a truck at the time I'd think it was just offered as an F250 with different GVW and engine options.

As someone who ordered an '85 F-250HD new I can tell you why I bought it instead of an F-350. Basically ignorance. As Angelo says, Ford wasn't pushing the HD at all. There were just 3/4 tons and 1 tons. I didn't need a 1 ton so I ordered a 3/4 ton (but if I'd looked into an F-350 and saw the price difference I'd have been that much more solidly in the F-250 camp).

I got the HD instead of the F-250 because it was essentially the same cost and burned cheaper gas (leaded vs unleaded). The F-250HD base price was a little higher than the F-250, but the HD had the 351 I wanted as the base engine (although the 300 might have been a negative cost option). By the time I put a 351 in an F-250 it was about the same price as an F-250HD. I test drove an HD and didn't think the ride was any worse than a base F-250, so that's what I got.

.... This is confusing enough, and excuse my ignorance here, but is an F250 HD considered a 3/4 or 1 ton? ....

That's the entire problem. An F-250HD is really sort of a 7/8 ton. But that's not an option, so it's considered a 3/4 ton. But then the base F-250 is significantly less capable, so now it isn't considered a "real" 3/4 ton, but more of a "glorified 1/2 ton" because it's such a small step up from the 1/2 ton F-150.

But wait... the F-150 wasn't originally a 1/2 ton. That was the F-100. The F-150 was created as a heavy-duty half ton (or sort of a 5/8 ton) when the F-100 needed a catalytic converter but trucks over something like 6200 lbs GVWR didn't. So the F-150 (and Chevy Big-10, GMC Heavy Half and a Dodge that I don't recall the name of) was born.

Then in '97 Ford put the F-250 in the same sheetmetal as the new F-150, and kept the F-250HD on the old body with the F-350. In '99 the HD and F-350 became the Super Duties. And the F-250? It became the F-150 7700.

Programs! Programs! Can't tell your players without your programs!

Very true, Bob. Seems strange that they created the F250HD. So I wonder why people bought them? Why not an F350?....

Were they even advertised different? I would think if they advertised them as an HD they would have an HD badge on them which never existed. They all say F250.

Internally there are differences as we've seen, but to the normal person ordering a truck at the time I'd think it was just offered as an F250 with different GVW and engine options.

As someone who ordered an '85 F-250HD new I can tell you why I bought it instead of an F-350. Basically ignorance. As Angelo says, Ford wasn't pushing the HD at all. There were just 3/4 tons and 1 tons. I didn't need a 1 ton so I ordered a 3/4 ton (but if I'd looked into an F-350 and saw the price difference I'd have been that much more solidly in the F-250 camp).

I got the HD instead of the F-250 because it was essentially the same cost and burned cheaper gas (leaded vs unleaded). The F-250HD base price was a little higher than the F-250, but the HD had the 351 I wanted as the base engine (although the 300 might have been a negative cost option). By the time I put a 351 in an F-250 it was about the same price as an F-250HD. I test drove an HD and didn't think the ride was any worse than a base F-250, so that's what I got.

.... This is confusing enough, and excuse my ignorance here, but is an F250 HD considered a 3/4 or 1 ton? ....

That's the entire problem. An F-250HD is really sort of a 7/8 ton. But that's not an option, so it's considered a 3/4 ton. But then the base F-250 is significantly less capable, so now it isn't considered a "real" 3/4 ton, but more of a "glorified 1/2 ton" because it's such a small step up from the 1/2 ton F-150.

But wait... the F-150 wasn't originally a 1/2 ton. That was the F-100. The F-150 was created as a heavy-duty half ton (or sort of a 5/8 ton) when the F-100 needed a catalytic converter but trucks over something like 6200 lbs GVWR didn't. So the F-150 (and Chevy Big-10, GMC Heavy Half and a Dodge that I don't recall the name of) was born.

Then in '97 Ford put the F-250 in the same sheetmetal as the new F-150, and kept the F-250HD on the old body with the F-350. In '99 the HD and F-350 became the Super Duties. And the F-250? It became the F-150 7700.

OK, I've chuckled twice now. I needed that!

8.jpg

10.jpg

Here is a page from the 83 catalog. I think if you click on the .jpg links they will come up readable. It shows an optional performance package which mentions HD springs, front and rear stabilizers etc. The F250 HD/F350 are also mentioned in the Camper section. Mine does have the trans cooler and the big brakes.

BTW, this truck is thirsty.

This is the camper that was on my truck when bought new.

As you can see, it is pretty unsafe on that Ranger, but it was a good setup with the HD springs. That camper was a monster.

20200310_210246.jpg.faa44cc911ccd21df63d78880b186d6b.jpg

As you can see, it is pretty unsafe on that Ranger, but it was a good setup with the HD springs. That camper was a monster.

This is what mine looked when it was in San Diego. The ride height immediately grabbed my attention. At first I thought it was a 4 X 4.29740.jpeg.e16fc50fe9c45ebaa1d0e4305d7b6095.jpeg

And yet, not a single one of those were advertised (with the exception of the 97-up stuff) as anything more than an F150, F250, and F350. You just had to kind of spec them as you wished.

I guess my father buying a LD 250 was pretty much pointless because by the time it was 5 years old the 300 was long gone. In his own words: "That single barrel carburetor kept blowing power valves out of it and I was getting sick of replacing them all the time, and the thing was gutless". In went a nasty 351 that lives for about 10 years before it grenaded.

That camper isn't a monster. Its a little 8 footer. :nabble_smiley_evil:

We had a 9 1/2' fully self-contained camper. Bought it new in '72 with an F250 w/a 390. Fully self-contained means it had a bathroom & shower, gas/electric fridge w/freezer, gas range, gas water heater, electrical system that converted 110 to 12v, & overhead sleeping as well as a table with u-shaped seating that converted into another bed.

I suspect that camper would have been a good match for Big Blue. I don't remember the GVWR for the '72, but I think it was every bit of the 8600 Big Blue has.

We had a 9 1/2' fully self-contained camper. Bought it new in '72 with an F250 w/a 390. Fully self-contained means it had a bathroom & shower, gas/electric fridge w/freezer, gas range, gas water heater, electrical system that converted 110 to 12v, & overhead sleeping as well as a table with u-shaped seating that converted into another bed.

I suspect that camper would have been a good match for Big Blue. I don't remember the GVWR for the '72, but I think it was every bit of the 8600 Big Blue has.

I really wanted it, and could have had the camper top for free but to get it across the country would have cost a bundle. I saw one once that looked like it was made by Airstream.

At least he didn't shear the studs off or crack the drum! :nabble_smiley_good:

The D-60 was phased out as a running change during the '85 model year.

Ford started using the 10.25" Sterling as Dana stock was used up at the various pickup truck lines.

The D60 is a good axle, but a PITA to do brake work on.

Actually, he did damage the wheel. I'm going to have to swap out the rim with my spare. Some of the holes are bigger now. Probably a bad thing.

So I could have a Dana or a Sterling? I tried to find markings where they would typically be on the Dana but couldn't find any.

You have a Dana 60.

Sterling 10.25 never had LH threads, and didn't happen until '85 MY.

Dana has a plug in the tin cover, Sterling never did.

BOM stamped in the RH side of the housing.

"60" cast in the RH side of the pumpkin.

Used a similar camper back in the '90's Gary.

Even with front and rear sway bars and HD springs that thing was unwieldy.

Very high C.G. I think the whole camper was made of aluminum clad particle board. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Amazingly I recorded a high mileage of 13 on the way back from South Carolina one night!