Bullnose Forums

F250 Heavy Duty vs Light Duty, vs F350 (1984)

This is a really complex subject. The simple answer is much as Angelo stated, the break between an F250 and an F250HD is by GVWR, which was 8500 lbs. But, there is also a break by how long they were. For instance, as Angelo said, F250HD's got the Dana 44HD in a regular cab, but not in SuperCab or CrewCab.

Then there's the frames. As shown below from the 1984 Dealer Facts Book, the F250HD had the same frame as the F350. However, if you added either the Snow Plow Special or HD Front Suspension package to a regular F250, meaning not the F250HD, you got the heavier frame.

Or, to put it another way, Big Blue was born as an F250HD regular cab. But he has the same springs and frame as the F350's. So, with the addition of the D60 solid front axle and the associated dual-cardan driveshaft, now the only difference between Big Blue and an F350 is the badging and the VIN.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60138/Frame_Specs_-_1984_Dealer_Facts_Book.jpg

Not to mention really how deep beyond this it goes lol.

That's why Gary was having me do frame measurements on Darth and pictures of the front crossmember.

Interesting note, prior to 1987 you could not get an F350 DRW in a 4WD from Ford, there were some aftermarket versions that were built as a cab and chassis 4WD using the Dana axle rather than the 1985-86 Sterling and they probably used the earlier DRW bed to clear the inner duals. Sometime maybe one of you who has access to that information can find the difference in track width. Darth has the Sterling 10.25" rear and the inner duals track directly behind the front wheels, with the Dana, the center of the duals tracked directly behind the front wheels. This is why for years a DRW truck would not take a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood, gypsum board or anything else flat on the bed floor, it would sit up on one or the other inner fenders. Darth is 50" between the inner fenders, just like an SRW bed.

Wow, Ford gave some almost parallel choices on these.

My sway bars look extra beefy and I need to double check but my brakes are bigger as well. I think that 8500lb cut off is a variable when ordering brakes.

I will know soon, fronts are coming off this week.

.... Or, to put it another way, Big Blue was born as an F250HD regular cab. But he has the same springs and frame as the F350's. So, with the addition of the D60 solid front axle and the associated dual-cardan driveshaft, now the only difference between Big Blue and an F350 is the badging and the VIN....

But up to theoretically mid-85 (but maybe actually the '86 model year) F-350s had the Dana 50 TTB. So up to that point, if an F-25HD had a Dana 50 TTB there were no differences other than badging and VIN even from the factory.

I'm not really sure why Ford thought it was a Better Idea to create the F-250HD. I know it was to get around the EPA laws that had been changed to require trucks up to 8400 lb GVWR to have cats and meet car emission standards. But why not just have that be the F-350? Maybe the knew they were going back to a solid axle in the F-350 and wanted to keep the TTB as an option? But it seems like a lot of extra parts to stock and so forth for very little difference.

.... Or, to put it another way, Big Blue was born as an F250HD regular cab. But he has the same springs and frame as the F350's. So, with the addition of the D60 solid front axle and the associated dual-cardan driveshaft, now the only difference between Big Blue and an F350 is the badging and the VIN....

But up to theoretically mid-85 (but maybe actually the '86 model year) F-350s had the Dana 50 TTB. So up to that point, if an F-25HD had a Dana 50 TTB there were no differences other than badging and VIN even from the factory.

I'm not really sure why Ford thought it was a Better Idea to create the F-250HD. I know it was to get around the EPA laws that had been changed to require trucks up to 8400 lb GVWR to have cats and meet car emission standards. But why not just have that be the F-350? Maybe the knew they were going back to a solid axle in the F-350 and wanted to keep the TTB as an option? But it seems like a lot of extra parts to stock and so forth for very little difference.

Very true, Bob. Seems strange that they created the F250HD. So I wonder why people bought them? Why not an F350?

From the 1985 Rapid Spec Price List:

Wholesale MSRP

F250HD 4x2 Regular Cab Base Payload Package #1 — Styleside Pickup $8,187.98 $9,563.00

F350 4x2 Regular Cab Base Payload Package #1 - Styleside Pickup - SRW $9,588.40 $11,220.00

Man, that's a big difference! Why? What are we missing here?

Very true, Bob. Seems strange that they created the F250HD. So I wonder why people bought them? Why not an F350?

Wholesale MSRP

F250HD 4x2 Regular Cab Base Payload Package #1 — Styleside Pickup $8,187.98 $9,563.00

F350 4x2 Regular Cab Base Payload Package #1 - Styleside Pickup - SRW $9,588.40 $11,220.00

If it were 4x4's I'd say the rear axle blocks were made of gold or something, but I don't know.

Other than the fact that F350's don't start until 9,300 gvw.

So that seems like a whole ton of a hole they felt they needed to fill.

Wholesale MSRP

Were they even advertised different? I would think if they advertised them as an HD they would have an HD badge on them which never existed. They all say F250.

Internally there are differences as we've seen, but to the normal person ordering a truck at the time I'd think it was just offered as an F250 with different GVW and engine options.

Were they even advertised different? I would think if they advertised them as an HD they would have an HD badge on them which never existed. They all say F250.

Internally there are differences as we've seen, but to the normal person ordering a truck at the time I'd think it was just offered as an F250 with different GVW and engine options.

That price spread is significant.

This is confusing enough, and excuse my ignorance here, but is an F250 HD considered a 3/4 or 1 ton? As far as I know I have the Dana 60. Also, the Left Rear wheel studs are left hand threads, (if that helps).

My well meaning bud put about 1750 ft lbs on them the wrong way before seeing the "L" on the lugnuts.

So much for free help.

That price spread is significant.

This is confusing enough, and excuse my ignorance here, but is an F250 HD considered a 3/4 or 1 ton? As far as I know I have the Dana 60. Also, the Left Rear wheel studs are left hand threads, (if that helps).

My well meaning bud put about 1750 ft lbs on them the wrong way before seeing the "L" on the lugnuts.

So much for free help.

At least he didn't shear the studs off or crack the drum! :nabble_smiley_good:

The D-60 was phased out as a running change during the '85 model year.

Ford started using the 10.25" Sterling as Dana stock was used up at the various pickup truck lines.

The D60 is a good axle, but a PITA to do brake work on.

8.thumb.jpg.6a017bfae5e358c0c393b2f165b3ec4e.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.57e55178abe36dec81c77371759ad1f2.jpg

Here is a page from the 83 catalog. I think if you click on the .jpg links they will come up readable. It shows an optional performance package which mentions HD springs, front and rear stabilizers etc. The F250 HD/F350 are also mentioned in the Camper section. Mine does have the trans cooler and the big brakes.

BTW, this truck is thirsty.

10.thumb.jpg.57e55178abe36dec81c77371759ad1f2.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.6a017bfae5e358c0c393b2f165b3ec4e.jpg