Bullnose Forums

F250 Heavy Duty vs Light Duty, vs F350 (1984)

I know that my F250 HD and the F350 share the same axle, (Dana 60), but what are the other differences between the Light, Heavy, and the F350?

Mine had a camper on it when new and was bought for that purpose, but did Ford offer a Camper Edition back in 1984?

Thanks

I know that my F250 HD and the F350 share the same axle, (Dana 60), but what are the other differences between the Light, Heavy, and the F350?

Mine had a camper on it when new and was bought for that purpose, but did Ford offer a Camper Edition back in 1984?

Thanks

The very basic rundown with a 250LD and a 250HD is GVW, being 6600 on the LD trucks. They typically have semi float rear axles (be it Dana 60-60.3, Sterling or 8 lug 8.8s), Dana 44 HD TTB's up front and were equipped with a 300-6 or 302. The 44HD was used in single cab trucks only. Everything else had 50 TTB's, unless it was a diesel single cab, those also had a 50. They use the same frames, but the springs had different spring rates, different shocks, some HD trucks had 3" rear blocks vs 2", though otherwise there isn't much different. I'm not 100% suer but I'm about 90% sure you can only get a 250 LD in a single cab configuration.

In 1984 the 350 used a Dana 50 TTB up front and had full float rear axles like the 250HD but with a heavier rear spring pack and 3" lift blocks in the rear.

There are more differences, but that's the basic version.

Thanks

The very basic rundown with a 250LD and a 250HD is GVW, being 6600 on the LD trucks. They typically have semi float rear axles (be it Dana 60-60.3, Sterling or 8 lug 8.8s), Dana 44 HD TTB's up front and were equipped with a 300-6 or 302. The 44HD was used in single cab trucks only. Everything else had 50 TTB's, unless it was a diesel single cab, those also had a 50. They use the same frames, but the springs had different spring rates, different shocks, some HD trucks had 3" rear blocks vs 2", though otherwise there isn't much different. I'm not 100% suer but I'm about 90% sure you can only get a 250 LD in a single cab configuration.

In 1984 the 350 used a Dana 50 TTB up front and had full float rear axles like the 250HD but with a heavier rear spring pack and 3" lift blocks in the rear.

There are more differences, but that's the basic version.

Light duty F250's started at 6300 GVWR Angelo.

Also, never heard of an 8 lug 8.8. Only Dana 60 and Sterling semi floats.

I've never seen a 6300 GVW, but I'm not doubting that at all.

8 lug 8.8s are a rare bird. Don't see them too often, but they are listed in the master parts catalog. They pop up on Facebook groups from time to time.

This is a really complex subject. The simple answer is much as Angelo stated, the break between an F250 and an F250HD is by GVWR, which was 8500 lbs. But, there is also a break by how long they were. For instance, as Angelo said, F250HD's got the Dana 44HD in a regular cab, but not in SuperCab or CrewCab.

Then there's the frames. As shown below from the 1984 Dealer Facts Book, the F250HD had the same frame as the F350. However, if you added either the Snow Plow Special or HD Front Suspension package to a regular F250, meaning not the F250HD, you got the heavier frame.

Or, to put it another way, Big Blue was born as an F250HD regular cab. But he has the same springs and frame as the F350's. So, with the addition of the D60 solid front axle and the associated dual-cardan driveshaft, now the only difference between Big Blue and an F350 is the badging and the VIN.

Frame_Specs_-_1984_Dealer_Facts_Book.thumb.jpg.97c854203ccc09fce4a43b86fd5cb169.jpg

Yeah, the weight break is 8.500# with most LD 250's being ~7,600 gvwr.

Light duty 250's do not have the projecting full floating rear axle.

This is a really complex subject. The simple answer is much as Angelo stated, the break between an F250 and an F250HD is by GVWR, which was 8500 lbs. But, there is also a break by how long they were. For instance, as Angelo said, F250HD's got the Dana 44HD in a regular cab, but not in SuperCab or CrewCab.

Then there's the frames. As shown below from the 1984 Dealer Facts Book, the F250HD had the same frame as the F350. However, if you added either the Snow Plow Special or HD Front Suspension package to a regular F250, meaning not the F250HD, you got the heavier frame.

Or, to put it another way, Big Blue was born as an F250HD regular cab. But he has the same springs and frame as the F350's. So, with the addition of the D60 solid front axle and the associated dual-cardan driveshaft, now the only difference between Big Blue and an F350 is the badging and the VIN.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60138/Frame_Specs_-_1984_Dealer_Facts_Book.jpg

Not to mention really how deep beyond this it goes lol.

Yeah, the weight break is 8.500# with most LD 250's being ~7,600 gvwr.

Light duty 250's do not have the projecting full floating rear axle.

That's interesting regarding the 8.8. The outer ends look identical to my Sterling outers.

As for the 6300 GVWR, that's what my frame is from and what was on the certification label. However as I've mentioned to Gary previously, my frame measures 7.05x2.21x2.02, same as an F250HD/F350 4x4, which goes against what the books say. However my truck is a late 86, so things may have changed after 84.

Then again, my frame is also stamped E7TA, so maybe it was replaced at some point early on and they used a newer F250HD/F350 frame. I do know that the vin stamped on the frame matched the certification label, so it wasn't switched out by some :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: in his backyard.

Not to mention really how deep beyond this it goes lol.

Yep. There are engines not available in the F250 that were in the F250HD and vice versa. Same on transmissions. And the SuperCab & CrewCABS weren't available in an F250 but were in an HD. And on and on.