Bullnose Forums

York to Sanden AC compressor questions

Back ground: 81 F100 300 six with factory AC that came with a York compressor.

I did not have all the brackets for the York compressor and the truck had a Saginaw P/S pump on the motor.

Because of the P/S pump and needing brackets for a compressor I went with smaller Sanden brackets and this may come back to bite me.

Here is the question, has anyone done this swap before?

What did you have to do to get this all to work?

I have done a little more checking as of late and I am sure the 81 York hoses will not work with the Sanden compressor as I think they run a different way.

I can get new hoses but I think where 1 screws to the drier is a different size fitting?

I then was thinking I need to change the drier why not go for the 83/84 drier and think this also has different fittings and will not screw to my 81 evap. as checking them between years does show different fittings, did not check on evap. size between the years.

So if I am partly right and I need to run the 83/84 hoses and they will not screw to the drier what would you do?

Someday soon I will get the Sanden compressor and the 2 manifolds so I know hose thread size ans can see just what is needed to get a working AC system.

Thanks

Dave ----

Has your AC system been open the whole time? Even if it hasent you might want to just up grade the whole system so that the whole system is the 83/84 system and you wont have to keep guessing. Gte all of the parts, evap core, hoses, condenser and orface tube, Im sure that someone will correct me. When you change over to R134, you will need a blue orface tube. More then you want to spend im sure but in the long run, you will be a lot happier with the AC.

Hello Dave,

I did a swap with the Sanden SD7H15 (not filled, comes in the nex weeks).

These hoses fit directly to the Sanden an the dryer from 80-81:

FOUR SEASONS 55880

FOUR SEASONS 55889

I recomment to take the dryer 82-, the hose routing are much better.

Don't forget the pressure switch for R134a!

R134a PressureSwitch

I will find out whether the conversion works after the filling.:nabble_smiley_scared:

Here are picture from the conversion, you see the not perfect hose routing.

20200424_193827.jpg.0bc4c2c578cda343fb609c3e95c923f1.jpg

Max

Hello Dave,

FOUR SEASONS 55880

FOUR SEASONS 55889

R134a PressureSwitch

I will find out whether the conversion works after the filling.:nabble_smiley_scared:

Max

Well done, Max! Both the post with all of the info and the job on the truck. Looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Has your AC system been open the whole time? Even if it hasent you might want to just up grade the whole system so that the whole system is the 83/84 system and you wont have to keep guessing. Gte all of the parts, evap core, hoses, condenser and orface tube, Im sure that someone will correct me. When you change over to R134, you will need a blue orface tube. More then you want to spend im sure but in the long run, you will be a lot happier with the AC.

Yes & no on the system being open.

The condenser is new and been installed on the truck and has had the caps in place this whole time.

Hoses, think only 2, have been in 1 of my storage bins for the last 5 years when I took the truck apart.

I don't have a compressor yet.

That brings up to the evap. & drier. Yes this has been left open but I don't see that being too big an issue.

The drier & orifice valve will be replaced and when a vacuum is pulled on the system it should take care of anything in the evap.

I did think of replacing the coil but I hate to be leaning over the fender that was painted not long ago and could scratch it.

The other thing is would the newer coil fit my HVAC box? I think Rock Auto listed sizes but I did not dig that deep into it.

Thanks for the information.

Dave ----

Hello Dave,

FOUR SEASONS 55880

FOUR SEASONS 55889

R134a PressureSwitch

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60095/20200424_193827.jpg

Max

Max,

I will have to look up the parts you listed but that is a do able option.

On the compressor where the hoses screw to is that part of the compressor or fittings that bolt on like the stock compressors?

Also if I under stand you right you went with the 82> drier?

I thought it was the same as the 81 as the switch to the Sanden compressor was in 83>?

Dave ----

Hello Dave,

FOUR SEASONS 55880

FOUR SEASONS 55889

R134a PressureSwitch

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60095/20200424_193827.jpg

Max

Max,

On the compressor where the hoses screw to is that part of the compressor or fittings that bolt on like the stock compressors?

I thought it was the same as the 81 as the switch to the Sanden compressor was in 83>?

Dave ----

Max,

I got another question?

In the picture that compressor is it mounted to the old York brackets with an adaptor?

I know there are adaptor brackets for this swap and why I ask.

When I looked up the compressor SD7H15 (7H15) it looks to be for a 85+ Jeep and others I just don't know if it will bolt up to the factory Sanden mounts.

Dave ----

edit: I think the Sanden number you posted is for the York to Sanden adaptor plate so I found on Amazon.

Max,

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

The switch to sanden was 82 (says Rockauto) and the switch to another hose routing 83:nabble_anim_crazy:

there 3 versions to the drier.

80-81 with York

82 with Sanden

83- with Sanden and new hose routing near firewall

You must use the drier thats fits to your evaporator.

I have the combination 80-81 drier and 83 hose, it fits but the hose lays are on the aircleaner.

The hoses direct screw into the compressor fitting, no other part is needed if you have the correct compressor. You must look for a version with the two fittings.

I've found one for 50 bucks new on ebay. I hope it works and is no junk.

Max,

I got another question?

In the picture that compressor is it mounted to the old York brackets with an adaptor?

When I looked up the compressor SD7H15 (7H15) it looks to be for a 85+ Jeep and others I just don't know if it will bolt up to the factory Sanden mounts.

Dave ----

edit: I think the Sanden number you posted is for the York to Sanden adaptor plate so I found on Amazon.

Yes, i made the adaptor self, it was not a big issue, just two u-steel are needed and the original bracket from the York .

Klima.jpg.b16a6b390d88ab2a1641840b1e51516a.jpg

The amazon bracket plate will also fit.

Did I understand correctly that you don't have an AC bracket because of the conversion to the Saginaw P / S pump?

Max

Yes & no on the system being open.

The condenser is new and been installed on the truck and has had the caps in place this whole time.

Hoses, think only 2, have been in 1 of my storage bins for the last 5 years when I took the truck apart.

I don't have a compressor yet.

That brings up to the evap. & drier. Yes this has been left open but I don't see that being too big an issue.

The drier & orifice valve will be replaced and when a vacuum is pulled on the system it should take care of anything in the evap.

I did think of replacing the coil but I hate to be leaning over the fender that was painted not long ago and could scratch it.

The other thing is would the newer coil fit my HVAC box? I think Rock Auto listed sizes but I did not dig that deep into it.

Dave ----

If the evap core has been sitting open, at a minimum, you might want to flush it out with some AC system flush or even some brake cleaner compressed to get the old oil and dirt out of it so it wont foul up your new compressor and /or plug the new orface tube as it is also a filter.

Max,

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

The switch to sanden was 82 (says Rockauto) and the switch to another hose routing 83:nabble_anim_crazy:

there 3 versions to the drier.

80-81 with York

82 with Sanden

83- with Sanden and new hose routing near firewall

You must use the drier thats fits to your evaporator.

I have the combination 80-81 drier and 83 hose, it fits but the hose lays are on the aircleaner.

The hoses direct screw into the compressor fitting, no other part is needed if you have the correct compressor. You must look for a version with the two fittings.

I've found one for 50 bucks new on ebay. I hope it works and is no junk.

Max,

I got another question?

Dave ----

Yes, i made the adaptor self, it was not a big issue, just two u-steel are needed and the original bracket from the York .

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n60257/Klima.jpg

The amazon bracket plate will also fit.

Did I understand correctly that you don't have an AC bracket because of the conversion to the Saginaw P / S pump?

Max

Lets see how I can answer this.

All the AC parts I have came from my 81 parts truck that was less motor so some of the brackets I don't have.

I only have the compressor bracket that bolts to the bottom of the compressor not the motor side for the York. I do have the Ford type P/S pump but cant remember if I have all the brackets (don't think so) so cant use it on my motor.

The motor that came in my truck had the Saginaw P/S pump and works great and has a new Blue top box so I will not open this system as it works so good.

Because of the P/S pump I had and lack of AC brackets a member found a full set of Sanden AC compressor brackets think from an 84 300 six.

At the time (years ago) I did not know what all needed to be done to make a working system.

So what you have is a adaptor plate between the York motor bracket and the Sanden compressor.

It sounds like what you have done would work for me but I don't know if the compressor you have will bolt to my Sanden factory brackets.

I need to get my mounts together so I can measure it to see what I have and if you can measure yours I will know if I can use the same compressor you did.

Thanks for your help

Dave ----