Bullnose Forums

Vac System Removals, 1984 F250

Today I bypassed the thermal switch and opted to go directly off the carb for Vac Advance. I seems to rum much better. You guys OK with that? I was thinking of doing the same for the throttle kicker if I am able. I just don't trust those things.

Today I bypassed the thermal switch and opted to go directly off the carb for Vac Advance. I seems to rum much better. You guys OK with that? I was thinking of doing the same for the throttle kicker if I am able. I just don't trust those things.

I find the extra complication of the thermal switch unneeded. I like the vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum. Simple, and it works.

I find the extra complication of the thermal switch unneeded. I like the vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum. Simple, and it works.

My 302 in my truck loves manifold vacuum for the advance. I tried ported vacuum but couldn't get the engine to run as smooth.

Im going to try ported on the timed ignition port on my Sniper for my 306 since its self adjusting and should give me a smooth idle regardless.

I think you're going to run into driveability issues with manifold vacuum and no EGR.

Seriously consider having your distributor recurved before you hole a piston or shatter your compression rings driving it like that.

At the very least install a vacuum restriction in the advance line.

But that won't fix how much advance you get at light throttle on the highway.

While you may be a luddite, all these things were installed as a system to improve mileage and driveability.

If you think the truck was thirsty before, wait til you get the fueling and distributor curve set right after crippling all the engine management.

Bill Vose needs to weigh in here.

He ran a carburetor and tune-up shop for years.

My 302 in my truck loves manifold vacuum for the advance. I tried ported vacuum but couldn't get the engine to run as smooth.

I've never really understood that. So you're running base timing plus full vacuum advance at idle? What are your base and advance settings? I don't think I could get my 302 to run right like that.

I've never really understood that. So you're running base timing plus full vacuum advance at idle? What are your base and advance settings? I don't think I could get my 302 to run right like that.

Cory,

How is your new Parkland Performance recurved distributor?

I've been meaning to ask...

Cory,

Great so far Jim. I'm really happy with it, and Scott was a treat to work with on it. I dropped it in the engine, set the base timing exactly where he said to set it, and it's been working great ever since. Just like a Ronco Rotisserie....set it, and forget it!

I'm still having a hard start issue sometimes, but I haven't dug into it yet. I'm hoping it isn't the base timing because the thing is working so well I don't want to touch the distributor...lol.

Cory,

Great so far Jim. I'm really happy with it, and Scott was a treat to work with on it. I dropped it in the engine, set the base timing exactly where he said to set it, and it's been working great ever since. Just like a Ronco Rotisserie....set it, and forget it!

I'm still having a hard start issue sometimes, but I haven't dug into it yet. I'm hoping it isn't the base timing because the thing is working so well I don't want to touch the distributor...lol.

Be sure to check that your ignition box is actually retarding while cranking.

I can't imagine you have insane compression.

Maybe it's time for a PMGR starter???

Be sure to check that your ignition box is actually retarding while cranking.

I can't imagine you have insane compression.

Maybe it's time for a PMGR starter???

Yes, I'm going to check the ignition box first. I installed a new Ford box, but not sure if it is the same as the original or not, so I'll swap the stock box back in for a test.

Compression is nothing special, but a little higher than the stock 302 was. From the factory it was 8.3:1 compression and 150 psi per cylinder as I tested it. Now it is 9:1 compression and 175-180 psi per cylinder. Basically the same as any of the later 80's or 90's EFI 5.0L compression afaik.

And yes, possibly the starter...the original 1984 starter is still in the truck, so it might be time;).