Bullnose Forums

F350 exhaust

Bad thing is, I think I still have the original head pipes off Darth the connection to the muffler or extension was cut off years ago, the EFI/E4OD head pipe assembly is way longer, runs back behind the transmission crossmember.

Best source I have found to at least get an idea is Walker's on-line catalog. Even if you don't buy their parts it gives you a good picture of the system.

So Bill, do you know if the single head pipe outlet is 3"?

Do you know which flange it ends with?

I'm assuming the tailpipe is 3" all the way out.

There may be some universal stuff that is better quality than what remains of Walker.

So Bill, do you know if the single head pipe outlet is 3"?

Do you know which flange it ends with?

I'm assuming the tailpipe is 3" all the way out.

There may be some universal stuff that is better quality than what remains of Walker.

According to the diagram it is 2 1/2" to the muffler then 2 1/4" tailpipe. For the later (through 1987) it shows dual 2 1/2" pipes to the muffler then a 2 1/2" tailpipe from it. Darth still has the original muffler and tailpipe that was put on in the Oakville Ontario Canada truck plant 34 years ago and the muffler and tailpipe are one assembly.

Where it gets interesting is the 1988-92 system it has the dual headpipes into the catalyst, then a 2 1/2" connection to the muffler and dual 2" tailpipes. By 1996 the converter and intermediate pipe were both 3", but still had the dual 2" tailpipes.

According to the diagram it is 2 1/2" to the muffler then 2 1/4" tailpipe. For the later (through 1987) it shows dual 2 1/2" pipes to the muffler then a 2 1/2" tailpipe from it. Darth still has the original muffler and tailpipe that was put on in the Oakville Ontario Canada truck plant 34 years ago and the muffler and tailpipe are one assembly.

Where it gets interesting is the 1988-92 system it has the dual headpipes into the catalyst, then a 2 1/2" connection to the muffler and dual 2" tailpipes. By 1996 the converter and intermediate pipe were both 3", but still had the dual 2" tailpipes.

And the 1995 F450 had a 3"Y pipe, no Cat and a single 3 1/2" outlet!!!

Ok, so a 2 1/2" in out muffler and mandrel bent tail pipe.

I like the stainless products available from Bear River Converters.

I would definitely want the largest welded muffler I could fit, given the tiny pipe size.

I would definitely want the largest welded muffler I could fit, given the tiny pipe size.

Matt*, I looked into this.

There is a mandrel bent tailpipe available: AP 54755.

It's under $15 on Rock Auto.

I'd go with the bigger, better muffler.

Walker 17785.

You'd need their #35460 rubber hanger in the rear.

2 1/2" exhaust clamps are #35337.

A hanger to fit the 7" diameter muffler would be #35502.

If the stock head pipe doesn't reach there is an extension, #42596.

Aftermarket parts often don't join in the same places as stock, because they wouldn't expect a garage to remove the bed or rear axle to get it to fit in.

Hope this helps

Damn, that would have been a nice upgrade on Darth!

Damn, that would have been a nice upgrade on Darth!

Darth is an '86.

Doesn't he have dual head pipes?

I'm not a fan of rolled seam mufflers.

My truck has a 14Ga. all welded 2 1/2" dual inlet muffler intended for a 455 international school bus.

It is $86 from Walkers Commercial catalog.

The spacing is right.

All I had to do was weld flanges on it.

Darth is an '86.

Doesn't he have dual head pipes?

I'm not a fan of rolled seam mufflers.

My truck has a 14Ga. all welded 2 1/2" dual inlet muffler intended for a 455 international school bus.

It is $86 from Walkers Commercial catalog.

The spacing is right.

All I had to do was weld flanges on it.

I'm reading the mail here and thinking of what I want on Big Blue. IIRC Scotty said a a 3" single is good, but 2 1/2" duals work well. Does that sound about right? I'd really like duals, and the muffs will be Magnaflow, but I need to get the rest sorted.

I'm reading the mail here and thinking of what I want on Big Blue. IIRC Scotty said a a 3" single is good, but 2 1/2" duals work well. Does that sound about right? I'd really like duals, and the muffs will be Magnaflow, but I need to get the rest sorted.

Mine is 3" out.

It seems okay for the displacement and the rpms I see.

I personally want the least *stuff* under my truck I can.

And, I'm *frugal* :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: so if I don't need to pay for TWO exhaust systems, and I can retain my spare tire, I'm not going duals.

How big are the collectors on those L&L's???

How big are the collectors on those L&L's???

3" collectors on the L&L's. What'cha thinking?

As for the spare, it is in the bed and hopefully will be on the rear bumper some day. And there will be a 38 gallon gas tank underneath anyway, so no chance of placing the spare there.