Bullnose Forums

1983 F350 460 Cranky when hot starting

Ran again this weekend after doing some fuel line insulating. Did fine on the Menard's run. Started decent when I came out of the store. To be fair it was relatively cool (50F) so it will be better tested once it warms up. Truck still stumbles off the line a bit, frustrating because it is very intermittent. I never know which stop sign it will sputter pulling away from. Still need to check the fuel pressure from the electric pump and then on to the choke. I did note after a drive that the choke plate is wide open at rest, which i would believe as it should be...

Have you confirmed what the float level is in the carb?

Have you confirmed what the float level is in the carb?

'Pulling away from a stop" generally means the bowls have been filling while idling.

If the float level is high enough to run down the road while accelerating it's high enough for the accelerator pump to operate.

Unless you're suggesting it's set too high and the engine is overwhelmed by fuel.... but is somehow still able to idle normally.

'Pulling away from a stop" generally means the bowls have been filling while idling.

If the float level is high enough to run down the road while accelerating it's high enough for the accelerator pump to operate.

Unless you're suggesting it's set too high and the engine is overwhelmed by fuel.... but is somehow still able to idle normally.

That's what I was thinking - too high.

That's what I was thinking - too high.

It not likely that you're having the same issue as me, but after picking up my truck AGAIN to fix my carb/starting/running issues I got gas on the way home. I had to crank it for 5-10 seconds and gas it (this is why I returned it to the shop :nabble_smiley_uh:). This issue was supposedly fixed.

Anyway, this reminded me of the time I ran outa gas and had no luck cranking it to start after adding some fuel last summer. Only after I unscrewed my gas cap did it start.

A light went off on the way home after leaving behind a pig-pen cloud of cusses at the gas station. Rather than flooding, perhaps I truly was having too little gas get to the carb. I tested this when I got home. Turned off truck, unscrewed gas cap to alleviate any back-pressure that might be counteracting the mechanical fuel pump. Turned key. Truck started instantly. :nabble_anim_claps:

Granted I need to play with this more, and it suggests I have another issue in my future, but you may have something similar, or even have multiple issues compounding. Might be good to confirm that you don't have a similar issue. Just a thought.....

It not likely that you're having the same issue as me, but after picking up my truck AGAIN to fix my carb/starting/running issues I got gas on the way home. I had to crank it for 5-10 seconds and gas it (this is why I returned it to the shop :nabble_smiley_uh:). This issue was supposedly fixed.

Anyway, this reminded me of the time I ran outa gas and had no luck cranking it to start after adding some fuel last summer. Only after I unscrewed my gas cap did it start.

A light went off on the way home after leaving behind a pig-pen cloud of cusses at the gas station. Rather than flooding, perhaps I truly was having too little gas get to the carb. I tested this when I got home. Turned off truck, unscrewed gas cap to alleviate any back-pressure that might be counteracting the mechanical fuel pump. Turned key. Truck started instantly. :nabble_anim_claps:

Granted I need to play with this more, and it suggests I have another issue in my future, but you may have something similar, or even have multiple issues compounding. Might be good to confirm that you don't have a similar issue. Just a thought.....

Christopher - If the vent line to your tank is plugged you'll pull a vacuum on the tank and eventually the engine will die. Have you had such problems?

Christopher - If the vent line to your tank is plugged you'll pull a vacuum on the tank and eventually the engine will die. Have you had such problems?

Cracking the cap you would hear a hiss and often the tank expanding back to shape.

A new gas cap is cheap (and also on U-techcenter)

I just bought a rollover vent from there too.

Sometimes bugs will build a nest in the vent line.

Found a link online describing how to check the float level on a Holley 4bbl so will be trying that and also checking fuel pressure this weekend when I get time.

Chad - Why not use Ford's instructions on that carb? They are on the site at Documentation/Fuel Systems/Carbs Chokes & EFI/Holley 4180C. Then click on the Ford Service Manuals tab and take your pic.

Gary - now that you mention it, it has died 2-4 times since driving it in the last 2 weeks. It never used to do this but it also used to idle much higher. After all my carb work the mechanic did adjust the idle so its much lower which is when I started having this issue. It even stalled 10 seconds after starting it yesterday when I picked it up from the shop/mechanic lol. He just walked away - they must be tired of dealing with my truck haha.

At least one of these times included dying while going from/into reverse, the engine just sorta slowly drops out and the next thing I know i'm just coasting to a stop.