Bullnose Forum

1983 F350 460 Cranky when hot starting

I agree, make sure it needs to come apart. Excuse me for playing Captain Obvious. Quickey test for power valve issues, turn mixture screws in all the way. If the truck continues to run, no matter how poorly, power valve is bad. Float too high? With vehicle at operating temp, run it, shut it down, and immediately look down the carb, don't touch throttle linkage, if fuel is dripping float is too high. Not all the Ford application carbs had brass floats. Some had a plastic like material that I have seen soak up fuel. Another test for high floats if under hard accel or hard braking the motor stalls, or bogs down, it would indicate high floats. The only time I came across low floats the car wanted to stall under wide open throttle cuz it sucked the float bowl dry.

I apologize for stating the obvious. Hopefully this helps.

I'm pretty sure any Holley. With non-adjustable floats has power valve blow-out protection built in.

TTBOMK, they started this in 1991.

While I can't read the build # on the choke horn with my phone, it sure looks like an 0457-8 to me.

I'm pretty sure any Holley. With non-adjustable floats has power valve blow-out protection built in.

TTBOMK, they started this in 1991.

While I can't read the build # on the choke horn with my phone, it sure looks like an 0457-8 to me.

Got around to checking the fuel pressure today, about 3 psi from the electric in tank pump

Tried another gauge showed 4.0

Where are you measuring the pressure? Ahead of the tee or after? And, was this with the engine hot or cold?

Three to four psi is adequate to do the job, but if it drops when things heat up then you could have problem.

Where are you measuring the pressure? Ahead of the tee or after? And, was this with the engine hot or cold?

Three to four psi is adequate to do the job, but if it drops when things heat up then you could have problem.

You don't need to check pressure, you need to check volume.

Bill will back me up on this.