Bullnose Forums

Coil gets HOT and engine cuts out. 1984 F250

I need one too!

You saw how rusty mine is when I shared a pic of my distributor cap.

Trying to describe all the ways a capacitor can work (current limiting, smoothing, rectifying, etc) is beyond the scope of this forum, but not having one isn't going to harm the ignition.

If this was an EEC truck the EMRFI could cause it to act up because of what I describe as an 'electrical echo', but I don't think that's a problem with DSII

Yes, I'll certainly have one when I go EEC, if not DS-II.

By the way, I think the one you found is for a points system. Sure looks familiar, with the open connector going under the screw. My EEC coil takes one with a spade connector. I have a couple, but they are like yours, rusty.

Yes, I'll certainly have one when I go EEC, if not DS-II.

By the way, I think the one you found is for a points system. Sure looks familiar, with the open connector going under the screw. My EEC coil takes one with a spade connector. I have a couple, but they are like yours, rusty.

My DSII just has the little Y, but it's easy enough to change.

My DSII just has the little Y, but it's easy enough to change.

Thanks Jim, i ordered it.

BTW I tried doing ohms but my wires are all different colors so I did the right thing and ordered a FSM.

If I tested the correct wires/plug I got no resistance from one, 6 ohms on the other.

Notice the red from the coil goes to the 2 white wires, and the white wire goes to the red wire going to the ICM.

I'm just doing rear brakes and replacing the LH wheel studs my friend trashed. Everything came apart like a new truck!

20200520_165721.jpg.05adf0b1dd3513fe1fac530e1d576490.jpg

20200522_113911.jpg.dbdc55fa49834a0f3c4e89420bf24aa2.jpg

Thanks Jim, i ordered it.

BTW I tried doing ohms but my wires are all different colors so I did the right thing and ordered a FSM.

If I tested the correct wires/plug I got no resistance from one, 6 ohms on the other.

Notice the red from the coil goes to the 2 white wires, and the white wire goes to the red wire going to the ICM.

I'm just doing rear brakes and replacing the LH wheel studs my friend trashed. Everything came apart like a new truck!

Wow! Your buddy really did a number on those studs!

Good thing you chose to replace them.

Let me try to understand this.

You took the left hand side of that connector and probed each of those wire terminals with the other side of your meter connected to the red wire of the horseshoe coil connector (with it removed from the coil)

And you came up with six ohms on the resistive one?!?!

-I didn't say red or white, because as you can see they swap places at the connector- (this is normal)

Wow! Your buddy really did a number on those studs!

Good thing you chose to replace them.

Let me try to understand this.

You took the left hand side of that connector and probed each of those wire terminals with the other side of your meter connected to the red wire of the horseshoe coil connector (with it removed from the coil)

And you came up with six ohms on the resistive one?!?!

-I didn't say red or white, because as you can see they swap places at the connector- (this is normal)

I'm going back over there to finish the brakes.

The horseshoe WAS connected.

Will retest.

I'm going back over there to finish the brakes.

The horseshoe WAS connected.

Will retest.

Take the plug apart, take the horseshoe off.

You're only testing the wiring between those two (three?) points of the harness.

Look at the EVTM page if you want to follow the maze in a picture.

Will do Jim thanks.

I hope you find that one of them shows full continuity and the other shows between 1.05 - 1.15 ohms. :nabble_smiley_good:

That is a pretty wide margin, but it is what I have for a spec.

Then it's down to only your glitchy key return.

Which im pretty sure is the problem all along.

Starliner,

Have you taken your meter and ohmed from the coil power wire in the horseshoe to the two terminals of the DSII box power plug?

Do you get '0' on one terminal and 1.05-1.15 ohms on the other?

Well, from the power wire on the horseshoe, to the 2 wires that go to the DSII I am getting 6.7 ohms on one, (white to DSII), and .7 ohms from the other, (red on DSII).

To double check I put my 1.3 ohm bandaid resistor back in and got 8.5 and 2.7 respectively.

So something is up.

Thanks for the link to the service bulletins, great stuff.

Well, from the power wire on the horseshoe, to the 2 wires that go to the DSII I am getting 6.7 ohms on one, (white to DSII), and .7 ohms from the other, (red on DSII).

To double check I put my 1.3 ohm bandaid resistor back in and got 8.5 and 2.7 respectively.

So something is up.

Thanks for the link to the service bulletins, great stuff.

Well, something is definitely up.

If you add a resistor (in series) it should only add its ohms.

But your readings seem not to be in line with that at all.

Maybe clean your leads, or clean some of those connectors?

Because at this point I'm having my doubts.