Bullnose Forums

Coil gets HOT and engine cuts out. 1984 F250

Sorry Jim, I read back and you brought up meter issues.

I missed that post so never took your direction.

Will do thanks.

Certainly no need to apologise, Joe!

I mentioned it because it's hard enough to diagnose over the internet without a solid baseline.

So I ask pedantic questions.

I'm really hoping all your issues get resolved. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly no need to apologise, Joe!

I mentioned it because it's hard enough to diagnose over the internet without a solid baseline.

So I ask pedantic questions.

I'm really hoping all your issues get resolved. :nabble_smiley_good:

The latest update: a few of you pointed to the distributor pickup. What I couldnt understand was why my emergency spark box did work after a failure. While replacing the distributor I figured out that since the spark box relies on the battery for positive and ground, it does not rely on the distributor to eventually find ground.

I think it is fixed. It certainly runs better. I will update if necessary.

I got a new Carquest distributor from Advance AP. It is pretty bad quality but everywhere I searched I had no luck the car and the cap housing flop around, the retaining clips are junk metal and even after bending them tighter they still have give.

Garbage.

Thanks for all the help.

The latest update: a few of you pointed to the distributor pickup. What I couldnt understand was why my emergency spark box did work after a failure. While replacing the distributor I figured out that since the spark box relies on the battery for positive and ground, it does not rely on the distributor to eventually find ground.

I think it is fixed. It certainly runs better. I will update if necessary.

I got a new Carquest distributor from Advance AP. It is pretty bad quality but everywhere I searched I had no luck the car and the cap housing flop around, the retaining clips are junk metal and even after bending them tighter they still have give.

Garbage.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

A new rebuilt distributor fixed the problem?

It was a bad ground tab in the distributor?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

A new rebuilt distributor fixed the problem?

It was a bad ground tab in the distributor?

Well, I needed the pickup coil but when I opened up my distributor I saw that the inertia weights were broken so I got the new distributor.

My GUESS is that the problems with the pickup coil was interrupting ground to spark plug.

Buy again, I had to wrap my head around an answer to why exactly my emergency spark box worked.

I didnt just want to fix it, I needed to know how it got fixed.

Well, I needed the pickup coil but when I opened up my distributor I saw that the inertia weights were broken so I got the new distributor.

My GUESS is that the problems with the pickup coil was interrupting ground to spark plug.

Buy again, I had to wrap my head around an answer to why exactly my emergency spark box worked.

I didnt just want to fix it, I needed to know how it got fixed.

The pickup triggers the transistor in the module to open ground.(The little brass tab)

The flux field in the coil collapses and voltage is created in the secondary winding.

The rotor sends it to the right spark plug.