Bullnose Forums

Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

Has anyone switched their underhood bulb to an led? I know I looked awhile back but since it's still a mini heat lamp, I assume I didn't find anything.

I think it was a GE 5 or something. I am too attached to my fingerprints to check right now.

Of course Gary has it illustrated here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/engine-compartment-lamp.html

And it appears in the '85 EVTM on pg 86, here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/courtesy-dome--cargo-lamps.html

But I don't know where to find the lamp designation.

I'm sure an even brighter LED can be sourced, using less power and creating less heat.

Of course Gary has it illustrated here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/engine-compartment-lamp.html

And it appears in the '85 EVTM on pg 86, here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/courtesy-dome--cargo-lamps.html

But I don't know where to find the lamp designation.

I'm sure an even brighter LED can be sourced, using less power and creating less heat.

Notation says it's a #90 bulb.

LED 90's don't really have any side spread, so if there is room I'd try a 1004.

These seem more common and certainly throw more light around... at 1/10 the wattage of incandescent.

These seem more common and certainly throw more light around... at 1/10 the wattage of incandescent.

Superbright LEDs also offer this compact 1142.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/1142-led-bulb-w-stock-cover-12-smd-led-ba15d-retrofit-car/1978/

Seems most likely to fit.

Thanks a lot Jim. 90 does ring a bell. I'll give that 1142 a shot!

Thanks a lot Jim. 90 does ring a bell. I'll give that 1142 a shot!

The above is 105 or 107 lumens for white vs 75 for the #90 incandescent

That's like 37% more light.

ETA: the warm white (2950k) is a touch brighter and draws 0.05A, while the cool white draws 0.10A at 5975k

#90 is 4W

The above is 105 or 107 lumens for white vs 75 for the #90 incandescent

That's like 37% more light.

ETA: the warm white (2950k) is a touch brighter and draws 0.05A, while the cool white draws 0.10A at 5975k

#90 is 4W

Cool! (Literally. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I have an underhood light to put on Big Blue but haven't yet as it sits with the hood up 100% of the time. But I'd sure like to have a really bright LED in it when I do put it on. So please tell us what you find, Scott. We need to document this.

Cool! (Literally. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I have an underhood light to put on Big Blue but haven't yet as it sits with the hood up 100% of the time. But I'd sure like to have a really bright LED in it when I do put it on. So please tell us what you find, Scott. We need to document this.

I have one as well but the wires are broken close to the case I attempted to solder together new wires but I'm holding out for a better unit on ebay myself.

I know I planned on running a LED bulb but have to decide cause I'm seriously thinking of running the ford oval embossed abs hood insulation on my truck. Dont think the light could be used with it.

I have one as well but the wires are broken close to the case I attempted to solder together new wires but I'm holding out for a better unit on ebay myself.

I know I planned on running a LED bulb but have to decide cause I'm seriously thinking of running the ford oval embossed abs hood insulation on my truck. Dont think the light could be used with it.

The lights from Superbright are the ones I used for my under dash lights, and they work really well.

My truck is all LED inside, and if you turn on the footwell lights, dome light, and the map lights, it's daylight in there!

Took a look at this one.

It reminded me that I actually bought some BA15D's awhile back to try for this. Cheap, junky ebay ones. They are too long for the underhood light cap to go over but even so they don't light up. Even if I rotate the contacts.

I did notice when I looked at a similar ebay listing just now that it shows both bottom contacts are positive and the base is negative.

I haven't tested the underhood light to know how it's wired.

The link you provided I see it is polarity insensitive but don't see if the contacts are + or +/-.

Looking here it has the comment about:

Note that as with common 1142/BA15D/GE90 marine bulbs, the 2 bottom contacts are the power and ground, and the base shell is not connected. Not for use with antique automotive applications which use a different wiring configuration.

Which if that is the real case and the underhood lamp needs the contacts to be + and - that would explain why the ebay leds don't work.