Bullnose Forums

Help Organizing Website?

Gary Lewis

Guys - I think I'm a pretty well-organized guy. In fact, there are those amoung you that will say "Yes, he has it, and it is in that drawer labeled XYZ." :nabble_anim_blbl:

But, when it comes to the website, meaning the pages on the Garagemahal other than this forum, I don't think it is very well organized. A case in point: Brandon just asked for info on the fasteners associated with the 351W engine. So, if you were looking for that info, where would you look? The Fasteners set of pages? Or the Engines set of pages?

And where would you look for "speed control" info? Would you think to look in "Underhood"? Yes, perhaps half of the components are truly under the hood, but what about the electronic module and the horn pad which are in the cab?

So, I need someone(s) who is/are good at organization to step back from the trees and look at the forest, and then make some suggestions. You don't really have to know how a website works. Instead, look at what we have and try to come up with a way to organize it to make it easier to find things.

On the RockAuto web site, if you use the search feature and type in what you are looking for, several catagories [is that what you call them?] change [go to bold] and you can look in each until you find the part.

The site kind of guides you to where the information is.

David - Thanks, but the Garagemahal has a similar feature, if I understand what you are saying. At the bottom of every page is a "Google Custom Search" line. If you type in "cruise control" and hit enter you'll get the page shown below. Everything above the faint line between Car Cruise Control and Bullnose Enthusiasts is what Google found on the outside, and below that line is what it found on the inside.

I frequently use that to find things I've put in a "logical place" but still can't find. :nabble_anim_confused: However, what I'm hoping to do it to figure out how to put things in "logical places" where everyone can find them.

Google_Custom_Search.thumb.jpg.b5b091f6c71dc4cff4ae7ecec6d6e4e8.jpg

David - Thanks, but the Garagemahal has a similar feature, if I understand what you are saying. At the bottom of every page is a "Google Custom Search" line. If you type in "cruise control" and hit enter you'll get the page shown below. Everything above the faint line between Car Cruise Control and Bullnose Enthusiasts is what Google found on the outside, and below that line is what it found on the inside.

I frequently use that to find things I've put in a "logical place" but still can't find. :nabble_anim_confused: However, what I'm hoping to do it to figure out how to put things in "logical places" where everyone can find them.

First, I have no clue...

What popped into my mind though, is that while I was looking to buy a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) I found that the four manufacturers put things in different places in their parts manuals.

For instance the chain would be found in the transmission section on one, but in the rear swingarm, wheels and tires and rear suspension on the others.

I'm thinking place them where Ford does in the manuals and fiche, seems some people (you) have these available, which could help those of us who don't have parts manuals yet.

First, I have no clue...

What popped into my mind though, is that while I was looking to buy a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) I found that the four manufacturers put things in different places in their parts manuals.

For instance the chain would be found in the transmission section on one, but in the rear swingarm, wheels and tires and rear suspension on the others.

I'm thinking place them where Ford does in the manuals and fiche, seems some people (you) have these available, which could help those of us who don't have parts manuals yet.

Hmmm, I think someone suggested that a year or two ago - and I didn't listen. Let me see how I could incorporate that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hmmm, I think someone suggested that a year or two ago - and I didn't listen. Let me see how I could incorporate that. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've outlined the master parts catalog, shown below, and I don't see it as being very helpful. They have odd things grouped together, like:

170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables Huh?

180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters Yeah, sure. I see the connection. NOT!

Anyway, you folks tell me what you think, please.

Master Parts Catalog Index

10: Wheels

11: Hubs & Drums

20: Brakes

22: Brakes, rear

23: Brakes, booster

30: Front Axle & Suspension

32: Front Axle & Suspension

35: Steering Gear

36: Steering Wheel

40: Rear Axle & Related Parts

41: Rear Axle

46: Driveshaft

48: Coupling Shaft

50: Frame

52: Muffler

53: Front Springs & Stabilizer

60: Engine Parts

70: Transmission, Manual

A70: Transmission, kits

A71: Transmission, linkage

80: Radiator, grille, and cooling

86: Fan, belt drive

90: Fuel Tank & Lines

93: Fuel Pump & Gauge

94: Fuel Pump, mounting

95: Carburetor

95A: Carburetor Assembly

96: Air Cleaner

103: Alternator

110: Starter, Ignition Switch & Headlamp

120: Coil, Distributor, Spark Plugs

130: Headlamps, Parking Lamps, & Turn Indicators

140: Wiring, Main

144: Wiring marking

150: Wiring, Clock, Lighter

160: Front Fenders & Apron

170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables

180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters

190: Radio

197: Refrigerant Lines

Body:

000: Body Assemblies, Vents, Dash, Windshield, Instrument Panel

200: Front Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings

260: Rear Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings, Quarter Panel

400: Tailgate, Back Window, Roof

600: Seats, Hinges, Seat Tracks

Soft Trim Parts

I've outlined the master parts catalog, shown below, and I don't see it as being very helpful. They have odd things grouped together, like:

170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables Huh?

180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters Yeah, sure. I see the connection. NOT!

Anyway, you folks tell me what you think, please.

Master Parts Catalog Index

10: Wheels

11: Hubs & Drums

20: Brakes

22: Brakes, rear

23: Brakes, booster

30: Front Axle & Suspension

32: Front Axle & Suspension

35: Steering Gear

36: Steering Wheel

40: Rear Axle & Related Parts

41: Rear Axle

46: Driveshaft

48: Coupling Shaft

50: Frame

52: Muffler

53: Front Springs & Stabilizer

60: Engine Parts

70: Transmission, Manual

A70: Transmission, kits

A71: Transmission, linkage

80: Radiator, grille, and cooling

86: Fan, belt drive

90: Fuel Tank & Lines

93: Fuel Pump & Gauge

94: Fuel Pump, mounting

95: Carburetor

95A: Carburetor Assembly

96: Air Cleaner

103: Alternator

110: Starter, Ignition Switch & Headlamp

120: Coil, Distributor, Spark Plugs

130: Headlamps, Parking Lamps, & Turn Indicators

140: Wiring, Main

144: Wiring marking

150: Wiring, Clock, Lighter

160: Front Fenders & Apron

170: Jacks, Speedometer, Cables

180: Shock Absorbers and Heaters

190: Radio

197: Refrigerant Lines

Body:

000: Body Assemblies, Vents, Dash, Windshield, Instrument Panel

200: Front Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings

260: Rear Door, Weatherstrips, Mouldings, Quarter Panel

400: Tailgate, Back Window, Roof

600: Seats, Hinges, Seat Tracks

Soft Trim Parts

Wow! :nabble_smiley_what:

Yes, "Wow!" I think we can do better than that. In fact, my thinking is that the current method of organization is better than that. But, I think the current way isn't as good as we can do, so I'm looking for suggestions.

How are the basic part numbers organized?

Is there some denominator that would make sense to most of us?

How are the basic part numbers organized?

Is there some denominator that would make sense to most of us?

First, let me say that the master parts catalog is the best thing since sliced bread, and I don't know how you fully disassemble and then successfully reassemble something as complex as these trucks w/o one. But, the organization of the catalog isn't its strongest attribute.

The basic part numbers are supposed to follow the section numbering shown in the earlier post. However, they seem to have run out of numbers at times and insert letters, like 17A254. And, there are lots of exceptions to the numbering plan. For instance, the first numbered section is Section 10 - Wheels.

And, one would think that the first thing you would encounter in that section would be a listing of wheels. However, the first thing is 1001 GASKET (REAR WHEEL BEARING RETAINER or REAR AXLE SHAFT). But, Section 40 is Rear Axle! :nabble_anim_confused:

And then there are the weird combinations of "stuff" in one section. Like Section 170 which includes jacks, speedometers, and cables. So, a jack handle is 17081, a tachometer opening cover is 17187, and a speedometer cable tip kit is 17A254.

Or shocks that are in Section 180 so have the basic part number of 18124. But heaters are there as well, which explains 18246 WINDOW SHADE KIT?

Anyway, basic part numbers are supposed to follow the section numbering. Does that answer the question?