Bullnose Forums

2" Spacer lifts: Feedback on alignment?

Can’t remember exactly, but I thought certain trucks would do something like toe in when reversed.

TTB trucks definitely change toe and camber when backed into a space.

Especially if the pivot bushings are worn out.

Even with leaf springs locating the axle it happens.

Coils.... fugeddaboutit.

You don't see this with radius arm trucks because that arm offers a lot of leverage and control.

Coils.... fugeddaboutit.

You don't see this with radius arm trucks because that arm offers a lot of leverage and control.

That makes sense jim. I was looking at it from an adjustment standpoint. But yeah, if you have sloppy bushings, all kinds of geometery changes anytime the truck moves or steers.

Coils.... fugeddaboutit.

That makes sense jim. I was looking at it from an adjustment standpoint. But yeah, if you have sloppy bushings, all kinds of geometery changes anytime the truck moves or steers.

Even if everything's brand new..... on my leaf spring truck!

Drop a couple of grand -because it needs it all- and I go out to the lot.

My truck just doesn't look straight.

I trust Ricky, and he's handed me the printout.

Still I go back in and question it.

But my truck felt nimble and sure footed.

Yes, those could easily be light duty F250 springs. My HD F250 springs have 7 leaves and are WAY too stiff. But your are still too stiff. You have more spring capacity than axle capacity. So it surely rides roughly.

My plan is to remove some leaves and add air bags. That will give me a better ride and I can get the carrying capacity back via air pressure if I need it.

Great replies and thoughts guys. The ride isn't terrible now, you can feel that the back is stiffer than the front for certain and it's a bit underdamped back there.

The point that I've got more spring than axle capacity really drove it home though. It's really kind of a waste. Probably best to go back to factory leafs. What would be really, really cool is figuring out how to get Deavers in the back. Would be great for hustling down dirt roads...

On the Eatons did they have a +1 option to match their +1 factory front coils? Will look. Would be cool to get at least an extra inch all around

Great replies and thoughts guys. The ride isn't terrible now, you can feel that the back is stiffer than the front for certain and it's a bit underdamped back there.

The point that I've got more spring than axle capacity really drove it home though. It's really kind of a waste. Probably best to go back to factory leafs. What would be really, really cool is figuring out how to get Deavers in the back. Would be great for hustling down dirt roads...

On the Eatons did they have a +1 option to match their +1 factory front coils? Will look. Would be cool to get at least an extra inch all around

Interesting. Eaton does have 1855 lb rear leaf springs in +1, +2 or +3" height. For the 1985, they only go +1 in the front coils though (not +1.5). Thanks again for their link

I wonder if you rolled your truck forward some of that toe would go away.

Toe is controlled by tie rods. Caster and chamber by eccentric bushing at top ball joint. Not sure how rolling the truck would change the toe.

Not the toe, but rolling the truck will allow the camber to come out of the tires. when you jack up these I beam trucks and sit them down they will camber out like crazy till you roll the tire and the suspension has a chance to settle down.

Interesting. Eaton does have 1855 lb rear leaf springs in +1, +2 or +3" height. For the 1985, they only go +1 in the front coils though (not +1.5). Thanks again for their link

Unless '85 is different than '82 but when I looked up my '82 on their site they have a +1 and +1.5 for front coils.

• 1 year later...

Unless '85 is different than '82 but when I looked up my '82 on their site they have a +1 and +1.5 for front coils.

Hope I’m keeping this on topic for the most part with this bump.

Sounds like a lot are looking for the lift and level of a 4x4 250.

Is this not as simple as pulling the parts from a 250?

Hope I’m keeping this on topic for the most part with this bump.

Sounds like a lot are looking for the lift and level of a 4x4 250.

Is this not as simple as pulling the parts from a 250?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean front or rear suspension parts?

If front, the answer is no. F250's are an odd breed. The 2wd ones have coil springs up front but the 4wd F250's use leaf springs, and save for the TTB's there's nothing that is similar to the 4wd F150's.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean front or rear suspension parts?

If front, the answer is no. F250's are an odd breed. The 2wd ones have coil springs up front but the 4wd F250's use leaf springs, and save for the TTB's there's nothing that is similar to the 4wd F150's.

You nailed it that is where I was getting lost in the posts.