Bullnose Forums

New member from Southeast Missouri

I stumbled across the website trying to explain to my friend about a PMGR starter. I worked in a starter and alternator shop for a couple years so I was trying to explain/find a picture for him so he understand it better. Then I looked through everything and thought I'd join. I have a 1982 Bronco that has a 302/C6. It isn't much to look at but I'll add a pic later

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Southeast MO? Like Poplar Bluff? I ask 'cause we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we'd be happy to add you with a town or zip code.

Yes, pics would be great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Im kinda close to Poplar Bluff. You can put me down for Cape Girardeau.

Here are some pics

Here is when I very first looked at and picked it up at the previous owners house. Had 3 different kinds of rims on it.

OHCvoUt.jpg.a0922273d67949e483fead2d526a71ba.jpg

It had a dead cylinder in it so a F150 was bought for the motor. It worked out that the rims on that truck were 16" and that is what my F350 had. The tires were getting a little thin for the F350 but I kept the old ones when I got new ones, so along with the tires off my F350 and the rims off the F150, the Bronco got some new shoes.

z0RUMYT.jpg.a510f88c9eab786433c7a122fe3311e0.jpg

Sadly, something went on with that engine and it locked up over the winter when the Bronco wasn't being messed with. I found a engine and it had the owner was gonna put it in something of his and decided not to so I got a 302 and AOD. It has a Comp 268H in it, the previous owner doesn't know what else. This is the most recent picture of it.

Bt4rLoF.jpg.c9ce53d631c45569340e77a3d0caa712.jpg

Sadly, I was chasing a vacuum leak and was more focused on that versus the slight metallic tick and a few days ago it sounded off, did a compression test and #4 was @ 0psi. One of the symptoms that the vacuum gauge pointed to was valves though. I took the valve cover off on that side and the rocker just fell out. My best guess is with the aftermarket cam, they couldn't get the valvetrain just right on that one and left it a bit loose. I know when I adjusted it to put it back on it seemed like more than the 1 turn. I'm guessing with the rocker opening the exhaust less and less, that it did something to the valve and is keeping it open, as I did a leak down and there was a major hiss from the exhaust. I even took the rockers off both valves just to make sure.

Welcome to the forum! :nabble_waving_orig:

Sorry to hear, but a single exhaust valve isn't the end of the world.

I'd be checking spring bind and guide heights though.

We're you able to explain a gear reduction starter to your friend?

Yeah, my mind definitely went different places when I saw 0 compression.

He pretty well has it now, was mostly confused on where to move the wires and I thought a picture would be best so onto Google Images I went.

Yeah, my mind definitely went different places when I saw 0 compression.

He pretty well has it now, was mostly confused on where to move the wires and I thought a picture would be best so onto Google Images I went.

And you found our pic in Google images? Cool!

So, what's the plan on the engine? Did everything but the one cylinder pass the leak-down test? If so, you are looking at the valve guide and seal, and then pulling the head?

And you found our pic in Google images? Cool!

So, what's the plan on the engine? Did everything but the one cylinder pass the leak-down test? If so, you are looking at the valve guide and seal, and then pulling the head?

I only did a leak down on #3 and #4. I just did #3 because I was curious on what a good leak down sounded like and the sparkplugs were out anyways. I did do a compression test on the rest and they were good, all 110+, just a fat 0 on #4