Bullnose Forums

460 Bracket Setup Identification

First off, I'll admit I haven't done my due diligence in researching what this could be/be from. My jy helper was getting a bit tired of looking at 'just one more truck' so I didn't get great photos or pull any numbers.

While looking for crank pulleys and wide rear view interior mirrors (all were separating behind the glass so no luck there), I came across this 80's truck.

The core support showed it came with the 351 so something was swapped at some point.

With the Saginaw up high and what looks to be a bracket for the compressor down low (non-a/c cab), what did this come out of?

Is that an a/c bracket and if so, what compressor?

Additionally, are these the brackets I would want for a vbelt Saginaw upgrade someday? Would be for Camano (4wd with a/c).

IMG_20200502_104601.thumb.jpg.dfcb5dd8e39cd9d6fdd40bc5e949e2b1.jpgIMG_20200502_104614.thumb.jpg.169ae65ebd97ddcfc96fbaefd6a8d26f.jpgIMG_20200502_104654.jpg.fc4e815862a1ba061b2cf5010b9a819d.jpgIMG_20200502_104634.thumb.jpg.41fbd57747ba0ebc19bc6d8dff7aa314.jpg

Shadows were making it really hard to get good photos and i could see my screen when taking them so I know these are really bad.

I can't tell, but is that a 460?

The brackets look like the sheet metal ones that were on the 351M & 400. I say that because of the adjusting bolt I can see in each of the pics. But I'm really struggling to make out where the A/C compressor goes.

That has to be from a van with the Sag pump, but it doesn't look like what I'm seeing in the MPC.

Scotts_Bracket_Question.thumb.jpg.162edc1a59be0152bf0f88aada667391.jpg

I can't tell, but is that a 460?

The brackets look like the sheet metal ones that were on the 351M & 400. I say that because of the adjusting bolt I can see in each of the pics. But I'm really struggling to make out where the A/C compressor goes.

That has to be from a van with the Sag pump, but it doesn't look like what I'm seeing in the MPC.

Yeah, the photos are really bad. Wish I would have looked at them while I was there.

The thermostat went into the intake which is the normal way I tell as I am walking by to see if it warrants stopping but the valve covers also said 7.5 so pretty sure it is.

Don't spend too much time on it though - with the photos as they are, unless someone can pick it out of all the shadows, I'll take better ones the next time I am there.

Slightly better photo of the motor as a whole:

IMG_20200502_104704.thumb.jpg.e1b6cd5726aaab317c2bc24698d0ceb0.jpg

Yeah, the photos are really bad. Wish I would have looked at them while I was there.

The thermostat went into the intake which is the normal way I tell as I am walking by to see if it warrants stopping but the valve covers also said 7.5 so pretty sure it is.

Don't spend too much time on it though - with the photos as they are, unless someone can pick it out of all the shadows, I'll take better ones the next time I am there.

Slightly better photo of the motor as a whole:

That has the EGR 'ear' in the intake.... it's a 460

It does seem mounted much higher than mine. ('86 E350)

If you do pull it be sure to get the longer pedestal that bolts to the front of the cylinder head.

That has the EGR 'ear' in the intake.... it's a 460

It does seem mounted much higher than mine. ('86 E350)

If you do pull it be sure to get the longer pedestal that bolts to the front of the cylinder head.

Looks like what I had on my 1971 Colony Park after a grabbed the brackets off a 1972 Lincoln Town Car. Saginaw pump sat high, Delco A6 compressor sat outboard of the left valve cover and definitely would not work in a van, probably OK in a pickup.

Looks like what I had on my 1971 Colony Park after a grabbed the brackets off a 1972 Lincoln Town Car. Saginaw pump sat high, Delco A6 compressor sat outboard of the left valve cover and definitely would not work in a van, probably OK in a pickup.

Good call Jim. Assuming that's the double ended stud bolt, I've been bitten by that one before when I found out the 460's had two different sizes for that hole.

Bill - it looked like the compressor would be about in the same spot as the factory PS pump on my truck now. Is the A6 anything special? Not wanting to have some odd configuration so if this isn't hands down an all around upgrade, I won't bother pulling it. The Saginaw is on my possible upgrade list but don't want to downgrade the compressor as a tradeoff.

Good call Jim. Assuming that's the double ended stud bolt, I've been bitten by that one before when I found out the 460's had two different sizes for that hole.

Bill - it looked like the compressor would be about in the same spot as the factory PS pump on my truck now. Is the A6 anything special? Not wanting to have some odd configuration so if this isn't hands down an all around upgrade, I won't bother pulling it. The Saginaw is on my possible upgrade list but don't want to downgrade the compressor as a tradeoff.

There's a little casting that straddles the holes in the front of the head.

There's probably 1/2" difference between the C2 standoff and the one for the Sag.

I pictured them side by side on FTE when I did this (2012?)

Very impressed Bill!

Found this photo of it

Dave-460-acc-3.jpg.b2271fac52aaa1ba62518d6165590920.jpg

From here: https://www.suicideslabs.com/dw/engine/drd460/460.htm

Seeing how far that compressor goes back towards the exhaust ports, going to likely pass on this setup. Looks like it would be crowding the headers and may even get into the steering on a pickup. Guess I could pull an a6 in the jy and test fit it for a better idea but doesn't seem like a great truck setup.

Very impressed Bill!

Found this photo of it

Seeing how far that compressor goes back towards the exhaust ports, going to likely pass on this setup. Looks like it would be crowding the headers and may even get into the steering on a pickup. Guess I could pull an a6 in the jy and test fit it for a better idea but doesn't seem like a great truck setup.

I think that is asking for trouble. Being as I'm playing in that area I think you are right - it may well hit the steering box or the header. And if it doesn't you'll still have to have new hoses made.

Very impressed Bill!

Found this photo of it

In the car the compressor sat just ahead of the left upper control arm location. The Harrison/Delco A6 compressor was one of the smoothest running compressors, Ford used it on the Lincolns for that reason, it was much smoother and quieter than the Tecumseh or York two cylinder units. It was a bit of a power hog as it first came on the market in 1963 when luxury cars had big powerful engines. GM used on pretty much everything including the BOP "compacts" with the V6 and 215 ci V8s.

The starter on a lot of the early 429/460 car engines was a Delco-Remy solenoid shift starter and on most cars still retained the infamous Ford starter relay and had the starter solenoid battery and S terminals jumpered with a flat strap so the normal starter cable would operate it. Some of the Lincolns wired it like GM, battery cable to the solenoid and a smaller wire to the S terminal on the solenoid.