Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Awesome, I'll start my search there. Always prefer to do maintenance by the book.

To me the factory shop manual is the first priority, even though many of the sections are on the site.

The EVTM would be second, but we have the '81, '85, and '86 on the site, and they are a really good sampling.

The Master Parts Catalog might be helpful as well, as Jim said. But there are two of the digital ones being sold: HiPo & Forel Publishing. If you get interested we can talk about the differences.

Thanks for the info Gents. I have a lot to learn about these old trucks. The majority of trucks I've worked on were 2000 and up. I do however have experience with older machines like these big mama's...

Is there a shop manual you would recommend?

A friend of mine flew Chinooks in Viet Nam!

I wrenched on 53’s in the Marine Corps.

To me the factory shop manual is the first priority, even though many of the sections are on the site.

The EVTM would be second, but we have the '81, '85, and '86 on the site, and they are a really good sampling.

The Master Parts Catalog might be helpful as well, as Jim said. But there are two of the digital ones being sold: HiPo & Forel Publishing. If you get interested we can talk about the differences.

So it's official, the incorrect flexplate was installed in Rusty leading to the breakdown. The mechanic says the portion of the flexplate that mounts to the crankshaft sheared off with almost a laser like cut. So we now have the correct flexplate, new starter installed and Rusty is ready to roll. I'll be headed East this weekend to pick him up and bring him home. Also, have a glass company coming out next Tuesday to replace the cracked windshield so I can get him inspected, registered and tagged. Was getting dirty looks with that Oklahoma tag on the back 😂... just kidding guys. Our sister unit was based in Lexington, OK and we always had a great rivalry.

So it's official, the incorrect flexplate was installed in Rusty leading to the breakdown. The mechanic says the portion of the flexplate that mounts to the crankshaft sheared off with almost a laser like cut. So we now have the correct flexplate, new starter installed and Rusty is ready to roll. I'll be headed East this weekend to pick him up and bring him home. Also, have a glass company coming out next Tuesday to replace the cracked windshield so I can get him inspected, registered and tagged. Was getting dirty looks with that Oklahoma tag on the back 😂... just kidding guys. Our sister unit was based in Lexington, OK and we always had a great rivalry.

Yippee! Glad Rusty is now operable! :nabble_smiley_good:

On the windshield, be aware that the VIN was moved on later trucks, and most glass companies want to install the later glass, which obscures the VIN. That caused me no end of grief when I sold one truck, so if it was my truck I'd make sure they know that you require the correct glass be installed.

Lex? Used to live across the river in Purcell. They were are nemesis in football.

On the windshield, be aware that the VIN was moved on later trucks, and most glass companies want to install the later glass, which obscures the VIN. That caused me no end of grief when I sold one truck, so if it was my truck I'd make sure they know that you require the correct glass be installed.

Lex? Used to live across the river in Purcell. They were are nemesis in football.

Thanks for the reminder on the VIN, I recall seeing that in another thread. I'm having Deep Ellum Auto Glass do the replacement. They come highly recommended for custom, classic, obsolete glass replacement and they do mobile service to boot. Which is great because I particularly don't like driving to or near Dallas.

Thanks for the reminder on the VIN, I recall seeing that in another thread. I'm having Deep Ellum Auto Glass do the replacement. They come highly recommended for custom, classic, obsolete glass replacement and they do mobile service to boot. Which is great because I particularly don't like driving to or near Dallas.

I'll bet they know about the Bullnose VIN, but it won't hurt to remind them. And coming to you is a great service!

I've been following the build of a 'Chevy' pickup from Purcell.

Guys name is Joe Santameyer. He's a police officer there.

Took 'Ethyl' and put it on a '90's Dodge Ram chassis but kept it (outwardly) looking very close.

He has a tiny YouTube channel.

But his build is over 100 pages long on Adventure Rider forum.

'50's Chevy meet '90's Dodge.

I've been following the build of a 'Chevy' pickup from Purcell.

Guys name is Joe Santameyer. He's a police officer there.

Took 'Ethyl' and put it on a '90's Dodge Ram chassis but kept it (outwardly) looking very close.

He has a tiny YouTube channel.

But his build is over 100 pages long on Adventure Rider forum.

'50's Chevy meet '90's Dodge.

Jim, you are on ADVRider? Whats your handle there? I was when I lived in Tulsa. Havent been on in 6 years.

Jim, you are on ADVRider? Whats your handle there? I was when I lived in Tulsa. Havent been on in 6 years.

Bucket O' Bolts

I don't post anymore since I sold the Ducatis and gave my BMW to my friends son.

But I'm still lurking.

Joe's build is really good.

You should check it out.