Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Thinking about building a wish list of upgrades and improvements to make to Rusty once I finally get him home from the great flexplate dilemma of 2020. I want to keep the awesome look of the truck, just make functional upgrades really. Such as LED headlights, as well as all other bulbs to led. Would I need to upgrade the 1G alternator to the 3G? Any upgrade suggestions are welcome. Thanks

By using LED's you're actually reducing consumed power.

IF you use an electronic flasher instead of putting load resistors in each corner.

There may be a time in the future you'll want the peace of mind having an alternator that actually charges at idle brings.

But these trucks certainly didn't come with a lot of power hungry options from the factory.

Electric windows are a very short load and the blower motor isn't nearly as bad as the electric cooling fans the 130A 3G was meant to support

By using LED's you're actually reducing consumed power.

IF you use an electronic flasher instead of putting load resistors in each corner.

There may be a time in the future you'll want the peace of mind having an alternator that actually charges at idle brings.

But these trucks certainly didn't come with a lot of power hungry options from the factory.

Electric windows are a very short load and the blower motor isn't nearly as bad as the electric cooling fans the 130A 3G was meant to support

Jim,

Do you have a part number for the electronic flasher? Where does the flasher get installed and is it necessary for each LED or does it take care of everything? Not really sure what will be needed to change over from conventional bulbs to LED.

Jim,

Do you have a part number for the electronic flasher? Where does the flasher get installed and is it necessary for each LED or does it take care of everything? Not really sure what will be needed to change over from conventional bulbs to LED.

I'll let Jim answer that side of things, but on the headlights you might want to read this thread: Lighting Upgrades. And don't miss the link in the first post to the update post toward the end.

Jim,

There's one on the front of the fuse panel for turn signals and one on the back for the four-way flashers.

I think I would only worry about the turn signals 'hyperflashing'

Give me a few minutes and ill figure a link for an adjustable electronic flasher that fits.

There's one on the front of the fuse panel for turn signals and one on the back for the four-way flashers.

I think I would only worry about the turn signals 'hyperflashing'

Give me a few minutes and ill figure a link for an adjustable electronic flasher that fits.

Thanks for the info Gents. I have a lot to learn about these old trucks. The majority of trucks I've worked on were 2000 and up. I do however have experience with older machines like these big mama's...IMG_0742.jpg.568d758828ba4e3eb483fb667ad27602.jpg

Is there a shop manual you would recommend?

Thanks for the info Gents. I have a lot to learn about these old trucks. The majority of trucks I've worked on were 2000 and up. I do however have experience with older machines like these big mama's...

Is there a shop manual you would recommend?

Not too well versed in a line going back to 1971, but this one looks pretty comprehensive.

Not too well versed in a line going back to 1971, but this one looks pretty comprehensive.

In all seriousness the Factory Service Manual is the most accurate and comprehensive.

I would always want the correct Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual for my year, but Gary has a few up on this site.

The Master Parts Catalog is good to have too.

You can get quite a few of these catalogs on optical disc from HiPo Parts.

Actual paper copies (published by Helm) turn up on eBay all the time.

Hahaha, Jim I wasn't talking about the TM's for the Chinook. I meant shop maintenance manual for Rusty. I don't wrench on 47's anymore, I retired in April. We did have airframes that were originally made by Boeing in the late 50's and then converted to Delta models in the late 80's and early 90's.

In all seriousness the Factory Service Manual is the most accurate and comprehensive.

I would always want the correct Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual for my year, but Gary has a few up on this site.

The Master Parts Catalog is good to have too.

You can get quite a few of these catalogs on optical disc from HiPo Parts.

Actual paper copies (published by Helm) turn up on eBay all the time.

Awesome, I'll start my search there. Always prefer to do maintenance by the book.