Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

A) you need an electronic flasher because the LED's don't put enough load to properly cycle a thermal relay.

B) What you are seeing is the result of a poor or missing ground for another circuit.

'Something' is finding a path, where that trickle of current was not enough to illuminate an incandescent bulb, before.

Also, given that diodes are polarized, we can eliminate the idea that the taillamp is being back fed.

Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I'm thinking option B is the one as I did install a new flasher on the fuse block. I ended up cleaning the grounds for both taillights and then inspecting the harness. The only thing I could figure is that the trailer wiring possibly had a short so I started tracing it up along the frame. Since Gary had tucked it away in nice protective sheathing I couldn't see any damage. I followed the wires up through the firewall and to the back of the brake controller. Just for a hoot I disconnected what looked like the power wire for the brake controller and boom lights are working properly. I'm guessing there's a short in the trailer wiring somewhere? Any other points I should check?

PXL_20201026_161400753.jpg.083775ac5b96506868c34250a8562fd1.jpg

Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I'm thinking option B is the one as I did install a new flasher on the fuse block. I ended up cleaning the grounds for both taillights and then inspecting the harness. The only thing I could figure is that the trailer wiring possibly had a short so I started tracing it up along the frame. Since Gary had tucked it away in nice protective sheathing I couldn't see any damage. I followed the wires up through the firewall and to the back of the brake controller. Just for a hoot I disconnected what looked like the power wire for the brake controller and boom lights are working properly. I'm guessing there's a short in the trailer wiring somewhere? Any other points I should check?

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with brake controllers Clay...

But I'm sure you can find some good advice from Bill Vose.

He's a wiz with both wiring and brake controllers

Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with brake controllers Clay...

But I'm sure you can find some good advice from Bill Vose.

He's a wiz with both wiring and brake controllers

Clay - There is something about that brake controller that doesn't play nicely with LED brake lights. I bought the same controller and installed it on Big Blue and had a weird problem when I tried to go with LED's.

I think it monitors the resistance of the brake lights and LEDs mess that up.

• 2 weeks later...

Clay - There is something about that brake controller that doesn't play nicely with LED brake lights. I bought the same controller and installed it on Big Blue and had a weird problem when I tried to go with LED's.

I think it monitors the resistance of the brake lights and LEDs mess that up.

So just a quick update on Rusty post heart transplant. So far so good! I've driven Rusty around local for over 300 miles with no issues. I'll be the first to admit I've had some anxiety driving around after being left on the side of the highway 3 times due to broken flexplates. However with the new 400 there's been no issues during the break in period. Planning to take him West this weekend for Texas' opening day of deer season. The trip will certainly push me over the 500 mile mark and I'll change oil and filter on my return. Good luck to you fellow hunters and bullnose enthusiasts this weekend!

So just a quick update on Rusty post heart transplant. So far so good! I've driven Rusty around local for over 300 miles with no issues. I'll be the first to admit I've had some anxiety driving around after being left on the side of the highway 3 times due to broken flexplates. However with the new 400 there's been no issues during the break in period. Planning to take him West this weekend for Texas' opening day of deer season. The trip will certainly push me over the 500 mile mark and I'll change oil and filter on my return. Good luck to you fellow hunters and bullnose enthusiasts this weekend!

Excellent! I hope the hunting trip goes well. That's what you've been planning on using Rusty for all along, so I sure hope it pans out.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! I hope the hunting trip goes well. That's what you've been planning on using Rusty for all along, so I sure hope it pans out.

Well the trip was a success. Rusty made the 278 mile round trip no sweat. Even with maintaining speeds of 65 to 70mph. That puts Rusty over 500 miles since the engine replacement, so I'll change oil and filter this weekend. Over the 278 Rusty averaged 11mpg. Not only did Rusty get me to and from our ranch in West Texas but he was an invaluable tool while hunting. Dad shot a huge sow hog that ended up rolling into one of our stock tanks and I used Rusty, a chain and my deer hoist to pull her out. Rusty also transported the 9 point buck I took Veterans Day morning. Overall, very thankful and grateful for a successful trip.

PXL_20201106_164710787.jpg.455e3070df703feea6fcbf8bf7b16906.jpg

PXL_20201111_141235926.jpg.39114db24ac925a2b6c7df98747c8d6a.jpg

Well the trip was a success. Rusty made the 278 mile round trip no sweat. Even with maintaining speeds of 65 to 70mph. That puts Rusty over 500 miles since the engine replacement, so I'll change oil and filter this weekend. Over the 278 Rusty averaged 11mpg. Not only did Rusty get me to and from our ranch in West Texas but he was an invaluable tool while hunting. Dad shot a huge sow hog that ended up rolling into one of our stock tanks and I used Rusty, a chain and my deer hoist to pull her out. Rusty also transported the 9 point buck I took Veterans Day morning. Overall, very thankful and grateful for a successful trip.

Congrat's! Glad Rusty did well, and glad the hunting trip was a success as well. :nabble_anim_claps:

Good looking deer! :nabble_smiley_beam:

Now I'm hungry again....

Glad Rusty is earning his keep! and extra glad we don't have feral hogs tearing things up around here