Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Clay - That's horrible! I sure don't fault you for canceling that order. I would have done the same.

And I hope that you get the new S&J engine soon.

But you can still enter Rusty. The entrants don't have to run or be complete.

Sorry to hear about the engine, but sounds like you might have it under control. :nabble_smiley_good:

Phew! That's good for me. :nabble_smiley_happy:

• 1 month later...

Clay - That's horrible! I sure don't fault you for canceling that order. I would have done the same.

And I hope that you get the new S&J engine soon.

Rusty lives again! After months of being down and waiting on a engine Rusty is home and running. Unfortunately I did not get to completely spec out a replacement engine as it seems the 351M and 400 are fairly difficult to locate especially compared with a 351W or a GM crate engine. So Rusty now has a standard remanufactured Ford 400 with an upgraded RV camshaft from S&J engines in Washington. I did upgrade the ignition system with a Proform HEI distributor and the electrical system now has a Powermaster 75 amp one wire alternator to help power future accessories. Also installed a Edelbrock AVS2 1906 650cfm carburetor as well as new engine mounts and of course items like plugs,t-stat, pcv valve. The idea is to get this engine broken in and ensure Rusty is reliable and then possibly start upgrading other components. I do have my eye on a serpentine system with the upgraded AC compressor and Saginaw power steering pump. Time will tell but for now Rusty lives!

PXL_20201024_195953812.jpg.89d835cd2bbea385fcc35a5d25b82683.jpgPXL_20201024_200002016.jpg.cd7a8af4a5f3f6239e25c4acb7827555.jpgPXL_20201024_200022115.jpg.04b26c5bf813b28b6b32d648b113f144.jpg

Rusty's old 351M engine

PXL_20201024_195908646.jpg.3abda736421a09e62cb35834109b0cf0.jpgPXL_20201024_195856552.jpg.370fb72e4a004d5682c29c1233186260.jpg

Rusty lives again! After months of being down and waiting on a engine Rusty is home and running. Unfortunately I did not get to completely spec out a replacement engine as it seems the 351M and 400 are fairly difficult to locate especially compared with a 351W or a GM crate engine. So Rusty now has a standard remanufactured Ford 400 with an upgraded RV camshaft from S&J engines in Washington. I did upgrade the ignition system with a Proform HEI distributor and the electrical system now has a Powermaster 75 amp one wire alternator to help power future accessories. Also installed a Edelbrock AVS2 1906 650cfm carburetor as well as new engine mounts and of course items like plugs,t-stat, pcv valve. The idea is to get this engine broken in and ensure Rusty is reliable and then possibly start upgrading other components. I do have my eye on a serpentine system with the upgraded AC compressor and Saginaw power steering pump. Time will tell but for now Rusty lives!

Rusty's old 351M engine

Yippee! I'll bet that 400 has some zip! I sure hope you get more miles on Rusty this time around than you have in the past. And, it looks good as well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Rusty's old 351M engine

Good to see Rusty back up and running again! Thanks for the update!

Great!

Ok guys I seem to have run into a lighting issue. Wanted to change out my tail light bulbs from incandescent to LED and seems like I've opened up a can of worms. Changing the bulbs out was easy enough but the passenger side stop/turn bulb stays illuminated with the switch and key off. Once I removed the new led bulb the drivers side bulb illuminated. I've checked all fuses and changed out flashers with no success. Currently banging my head against a wall...

LED.jpg.22efc9e66da11d80e6e5c84c64df1975.jpg

Ok guys I seem to have run into a lighting issue. Wanted to change out my tail light bulbs from incandescent to LED and seems like I've opened up a can of worms. Changing the bulbs out was easy enough but the passenger side stop/turn bulb stays illuminated with the switch and key off. Once I removed the new led bulb the drivers side bulb illuminated. I've checked all fuses and changed out flashers with no success. Currently banging my head against a wall...

A) you need an electronic flasher because the LED's don't put enough load to properly cycle a thermal relay.

B) What you are seeing is the result of a poor or missing ground for another circuit.

'Something' is finding a path, where that trickle of current was not enough to illuminate an incandescent bulb, before.

Also, given that diodes are polarized, we can eliminate the idea that the taillamp is being back fed.