Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

So still waiting on Rusty's 400 to be finished. Going on 2 months patiently waiting and MABBCO is telling me middle of August for the latest completion date. Original date was July 29. They claim they're very backed up due to Covid so who knows. In the mean time I kinda did a thing and upgraded out of the commuter car to a 2017 F150 King Ranch. So i know know what I'll use to go pickup Rusty's engine, Ha!

Purdy! :nabble_smiley_good:

So still waiting on Rusty's 400 to be finished. Going on 2 months patiently waiting and MABBCO is telling me middle of August for the latest completion date. Original date was July 29. They claim they're very backed up due to Covid so who knows. In the mean time I kinda did a thing and upgraded out of the commuter car to a 2017 F150 King Ranch. So i know know what I'll use to go pickup Rusty's engine, Ha!

I wondered what the status of Rusty was. Glad you told us, but sorry things are running late. If it is any comfort, that's been my experience on all machine shop jobs.

As for the '17, I like it! I can't tell, but what engine? And it should have the 10-speed tranny?

I wondered what the status of Rusty was. Glad you told us, but sorry things are running late. If it is any comfort, that's been my experience on all machine shop jobs.

As for the '17, I like it! I can't tell, but what engine? And it should have the 10-speed tranny?

I've had a very difficult time being patient waiting on the engine for Rusty. I have a few other upgrades in the works as well but I'll wait until they're complete to post pics and let the upgrade cat out of the bag. The 2017 has the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost and the 10R80 10 speed. Love the combo as this engine has power for days!

I've had a very difficult time being patient waiting on the engine for Rusty. I have a few other upgrades in the works as well but I'll wait until they're complete to post pics and let the upgrade cat out of the bag. The 2017 has the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost and the 10R80 10 speed. Love the combo as this engine has power for days!

Love the Blue Jeans! And if the 2nd Gen EB is better than the first it'll be fantastic. I've said many times that I'd much rather tow with Blue than Big Blue. Blue will tow our 25' Sea Ray at 11.0 MPG all day long at 65 MPH. Big Blue, with the old engine and tranny, got 11.0 MPG by himself at 65 MPH.

Perhaps the new 460 will win me over, as I'm sure Rusty's 400 will win you over, but those EB's are STRONG!

Love the Blue Jeans! And if the 2nd Gen EB is better than the first it'll be fantastic. I've said many times that I'd much rather tow with Blue than Big Blue. Blue will tow our 25' Sea Ray at 11.0 MPG all day long at 65 MPH. Big Blue, with the old engine and tranny, got 11.0 MPG by himself at 65 MPH.

Perhaps the new 460 will win me over, as I'm sure Rusty's 400 will win you over, but those EB's are STRONG!

Nice!

• 1 month later...

Nice!

Well guys it looks like Rusty will not be repaired in time for this year's show. After waiting for the new long block for over 3 months from MABBCO Motors, I've decided to go a different route. It appears MABBCO cannot or will not produce the 400 long block that I ordered. Original estimate for the engine to be completed was 6 to 8 weeks from my order date of June 3rd. By the end of July I was told an additional 2 weeks was needed as they were extremely behind. So two weeks at a time i would call in for an update only to be told another 2 weeks is needed. Well enough was enough and I pressed for some real answers only to be met with the rudely stated ultimatum of if you don't want to keep waiting then we'll cancel your order and then be hung up on! Horrible way to treat a customer who has already paid thousands of dollars only to get the run around. Needless to say I immediately called back and spoke to another guy who apologized for the rude office rep. However by this point I was more than mad and told him to cancel my order and refund my money. So there has been no lack of drama in regards to this truck and his engine. I have since placed an order with S&J engines out of Spokane,WA for less money and a much better warranty. New timeframe is 14 days to build the core and 3-4 days to ship to Texas.

Well guys it looks like Rusty will not be repaired in time for this year's show. After waiting for the new long block for over 3 months from MABBCO Motors, I've decided to go a different route. It appears MABBCO cannot or will not produce the 400 long block that I ordered. Original estimate for the engine to be completed was 6 to 8 weeks from my order date of June 3rd. By the end of July I was told an additional 2 weeks was needed as they were extremely behind. So two weeks at a time i would call in for an update only to be told another 2 weeks is needed. Well enough was enough and I pressed for some real answers only to be met with the rudely stated ultimatum of if you don't want to keep waiting then we'll cancel your order and then be hung up on! Horrible way to treat a customer who has already paid thousands of dollars only to get the run around. Needless to say I immediately called back and spoke to another guy who apologized for the rude office rep. However by this point I was more than mad and told him to cancel my order and refund my money. So there has been no lack of drama in regards to this truck and his engine. I have since placed an order with S&J engines out of Spokane,WA for less money and a much better warranty. New timeframe is 14 days to build the core and 3-4 days to ship to Texas.

Clay - That's horrible! I sure don't fault you for canceling that order. I would have done the same.

And I hope that you get the new S&J engine soon.

But you can still enter Rusty. The entrants don't have to run or be complete.

Clay - That's horrible! I sure don't fault you for canceling that order. I would have done the same.

And I hope that you get the new S&J engine soon.

But you can still enter Rusty. The entrants don't have to run or be complete.

Gary i hope this engine actually comes through. The guys at the shop have been giving me a hard time saying Rusty has grown to the 2 post lift he's on. Ha! Regarding the Virtual show, is there a hard luck category? Lol

Gary i hope this engine actually comes through. The guys at the shop have been giving me a hard time saying Rusty has grown to the 2 post lift he's on. Ha! Regarding the Virtual show, is there a hard luck category? Lol

No, but there is Best Story. And it wouldn't be hard to write up quite the story for Rusty. It is all out there "in print", from when I bought him, what I had to do to him to get him going, way beyond what I was told, your FiL's purchase, your acquisition and subsequent breakdowns, etc. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Man, that's frustrating!

I realize things are kind of haywire in the world today, but you are right that is no way to treat anyone, let alone a customer.

Maybe should have gone to Tim?

Look forward to seeing Rusty at the show, and ultimately back on the road! :nabble_smiley_good: