Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

I don't think it really matters who made the first one. The way it was installed with a spacer probably put a bending force right at the transition from flat to the curve, which focused all of the force right there. It was a given it would fail, and that it would fail there.

But, that doesn't explain why the second one failed. That's the one that bothers me. Install the wrong part and try to get by with a shim is one thing. But if the second one was the right part, then why did it fail?

Do we know for sure the 2nd was the right part? Beside what the parts store said?

He still has it.

There's got to be a pn stamped on there somewhere.

I don't think it really matters who made the first one. The way it was installed with a spacer probably put a bending force right at the transition from flat to the curve, which focused all of the force right there. It was a given it would fail, and that it would fail there.

But, that doesn't explain why the second one failed. That's the one that bothers me. Install the wrong part and try to get by with a shim is one thing. But if the second one was the right part, then why did it fail?

Do we know for sure the 2nd was the right part? Beside what the parts store said?

Gary,

All I have to go on is the mechanics word that the flexplate was the correct one. What I want to know is why was the original flexplate cracked warranting this whole deboggle. The guys at my FiL's shop definitely messed up by putting the wrong plate in with a spacer, but something had to be off prior to that. My guess is the torque converter was starting to go internally. Time will tell I guess.

He still has it.

There's got to be a pn stamped on there somewhere.

Jim,

I've asked the transmission shop to put the 2nd broken plate in the toolbox. I'll check the number when I get Rusty home this afternoon.

Jim,

I've asked the transmission shop to put the 2nd broken plate in the toolbox. I'll check the number when I get Rusty home this afternoon.

Well guys it's been a hard fight battle but Rusty is home! I'm going to wait until it's not the heat of the day to go and crawl around

IMG_20200521_161948.jpg.974604ccb14a994d10688da36d3de997.jpg

Well guys it's been a hard fight battle but Rusty is home! I'm going to wait until it's not the heat of the day to go and crawl around

So glad Rusty has a home where he can be productive now!

I have to guess the torque converter was the cause?

Who will ever know what happened in those intervening years?

Yippee!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad he's found a new home - and that he made it there in one piece. How'd he drive?

Brought him down the highway 70mph the whole way. Seems to stumble just a bit between 15-20 mph. Wonder if the "timing advance" by ear the shop did was the cause. Other than that all is well at the moment!

So glad Rusty has a home where he can be productive now!

I have to guess the torque converter was the cause?

Who will ever know what happened in those intervening years?

Jim, I'm guessing between the torque converter and a new harmonic balancer that did the trick but I guess time will tell. I would like to add a steering stabilizer to help with feedback and bump steer. So many options!

Brought him down the highway 70mph the whole way. Seems to stumble just a bit between 15-20 mph. Wonder if the "timing advance" by ear the shop did was the cause. Other than that all is well at the moment!

I think the timing was set around 12 degrees BTDC. Obviously with the vacuum advance disconnected.

Jim, I'm guessing between the torque converter and a new harmonic balancer that did the trick but I guess time will tell. I would like to add a steering stabilizer to help with feedback and bump steer. So many options!

So I had a few parts sitting around waiting for Rusty to finally make it home. Tbh I'm very excited to start making upgrades and just making my mark on Rusty. Insert flexplate comments here.........

So I'm starting off by making Rusty ready to pass the state inspection. First off the windshield has to be replaced.

IMG_20200522_112315.thumb.jpg.2f236bc7ac90b04c718cd463fde67e9f.jpg

Also, I thought the side markers looked very faded and could use a fresh set with the Sylvania 194 LED'S that Daniel Stern recommended.

Before: IMG_20200522_100844.thumb.jpg.4f0c615ec19f86dffa6706f7df2cd634.jpg

After: IMG_20200522_112730.thumb.jpg.08db741fea5e78e9965d60d46c3c689b.jpgIMG_20200522_100746.thumb.jpg.ca7e214d312019c15dc1eed82adae88d.jpg

I will eventually replace the other bulbs with the recommended LED'S as well as the JW speaker LED headlights.

Tomorrow's project looks a bit different as I'll be adding a steering stabilizer ordered from Amazon. Anyone used this specific kit?Screenshot_20200522-112958.thumb.png.16ac35c45c07c2c2955712b4ce7cd2ab.png