Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

I'm really wanting to get this figured out. I can already tell I'll be breaking flexplates in my sleep tonight.

Jim, the starter engagement sounded just fine. Once the truck was warm just a bump of the starter would get Rusty going.

Shaun, at this rate I'm going to need to update my signature with MPF, miles per flexplate ratings or get into the custom garage clock business.

When I HAD a garage, the "Wall of Shame" was a huge part of the atmosphere.

Bent rods, holed pistons, broken cranks and yokes, molten carburetors, all kinds of carnage.

And a great story to go with every one.

I miss that.

I'm really wanting to get this figured out. I can already tell I'll be breaking flexplates in my sleep tonight.

Jim, the starter engagement sounded just fine. Once the truck was warm just a bump of the starter would get Rusty going.

Shaun, at this rate I'm going to need to update my signature with MPF, miles per flexplate ratings or get into the custom garage clock business.

At least you havent broken your sense of humor.

If I were you, Id locate a different transmission if the runout on the crank is in spec, or try a new converter.

Jim - I drove Rusty to see my father many times, and that was a 200 mile round trip. And I think that tranny and torque converter was in it during those trips, and the combo is from Dad's truck.

But I'd have to go back and look at all my posts to see when I did what. I know my memory isn't what it was, or at least I think it used to be better. :nabble_anim_confused:

Jim - I drove Rusty to see my father many times, and that was a 200 mile round trip. And I think that tranny and torque converter was in it during those trips, and the combo is from Dad's truck.

But I'd have to go back and look at all my posts to see when I did what. I know my memory isn't what it was, or at least I think it used to be better. :nabble_anim_confused:

What happened to the original flex plate that was on the truck when Gary had it, and why was it replaced? My thought is when that happened it damaged some part of the transmission input and that's why it keeps chewing flywheels.

When I HAD a garage, the "Wall of Shame" was a huge part of the atmosphere.

Bent rods, holed pistons, broken cranks and yokes, molten carburetors, all kinds of carnage.

And a great story to go with every one.

I miss that.

You better believe at least one of these flexplates are going up on the garage wall. If the crank runout is within spec, the correct flexplate is used with correct torque, the correct dowel pins are installed it would have to be either the converter or something in the transmission. Idk I'm just spit-balling at this point, I've also heard a bad harmonic balancer can cause these to break.

You better believe at least one of these flexplates are going up on the garage wall. If the crank runout is within spec, the correct flexplate is used with correct torque, the correct dowel pins are installed it would have to be either the converter or something in the transmission. Idk I'm just spit-balling at this point, I've also heard a bad harmonic balancer can cause these to break.

Just had a thought. What are the chances the flexplates are all cheap chinese pieces of cow doodie? Where have you been getting your flexplates?

What happened to the original flex plate that was on the truck when Gary had it, and why was it replaced? My thought is when that happened it damaged some part of the transmission input and that's why it keeps chewing flywheels.

Shaun,

Once I decided that I was going to buy Rusty my FiL had his guys start going through him just to make sure everything would be safe for my trip home. You can see the list of everything they did on page 1. Well, the lead mechanic heard a ticking at idle and diagnosed it as a cracked flexplate. So they dropped the transmission and the flexplate was indeed cracked. Now enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so I'm order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer. That flexplate lasted approximately 100 miles. Here's a picture of the original flexplate with the center section removed, I didn't have the opportunity to see the "spacer".

IMG_20200517_120032.thumb.jpg.7435c626d980fef1cb1f55a661b94739.jpg

Just had a thought. What are the chances the flexplates are all cheap chinese pieces of cow doodie? Where have you been getting your flexplates?

Ray,

That's a good question I don't have an answer to at the moment.

.... enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so in order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer.

I'm thinking that extra depth crushed the pump, causing the leak and the bad run-out.

Your FIL'S name isn't Hennessy, is it?

.... enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so in order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer.

I'm thinking that extra depth crushed the pump, causing the leak and the bad run-out.

Your FIL'S name isn't Hennessy, is it?

No sir it is not.