Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Looks like it was flexing enough to get really really hot where it was hanging in on the left hand side!

I bet it was glowing when it let go with such a clean break and the heat discoloration.

I bet it was glowing when it let go with such a clean break and the heat discoloration.

Well guys something is definitely wrong with the drive line on Rusty. Today he left me on the side of the road... Again! This time I made it 107 miles down I20 before the exact same vibration and shudder occurred and I instantly had no power to the wheels. Fortunately I was able to get into a shell gas station parking lot and call for a tow. I know the flexplate is broken again, there is no way it's still intact. This time there were a few drops of transmission fluid underneath as I waited for the tow. So, I'm thinking back into Rusty's history and trying to think what could be causing the truck to eat flexplates. The mechanic at my FiL's shop guaranteed this is the correct flexplate and he did not reuse that spacer that was incorrectly installed last time. The engine has approximately 8k miles on it since rebuild according to Gary, so that should rule out a bent crankshaft. Possibly a bad torque converter or shaft? I had Rusty taken to a transmission shop closer to my home so no more long hauls across the state and get a fresh perspective on the problem.

IMG_20200518_114111.thumb.jpg.4c95a2b3959207739d466344c7a223cb.jpg

Well guys something is definitely wrong with the drive line on Rusty. Today he left me on the side of the road... Again! This time I made it 107 miles down I20 before the exact same vibration and shudder occurred and I instantly had no power to the wheels. Fortunately I was able to get into a shell gas station parking lot and call for a tow. I know the flexplate is broken again, there is no way it's still intact. This time there were a few drops of transmission fluid underneath as I waited for the tow. So, I'm thinking back into Rusty's history and trying to think what could be causing the truck to eat flexplates. The mechanic at my FiL's shop guaranteed this is the correct flexplate and he did not reuse that spacer that was incorrectly installed last time. The engine has approximately 8k miles on it since rebuild according to Gary, so that should rule out a bent crankshaft. Possibly a bad torque converter or shaft? I had Rusty taken to a transmission shop closer to my home so no more long hauls across the state and get a fresh perspective on the problem.

Is the torque converter properly engaged onto the input shaft?

Dude, this sucks for you. Im sorry to see this.

Is the torque converter properly engaged onto the input shaft?

Dude, this sucks for you. Im sorry to see this.

I wish i could tell you for sure but Idk. Had no issues all weekend and then here we go.

I wish i could tell you for sure but Idk. Had no issues all weekend and then here we go.

Well, if the correct flywheel, torque convertor and starter are all bolted together and aligned correctly, it has to be either the crank or transmission input shaft. I mean....what else is there?

Man, I'm so sorry! I really can't fathom what the problem could be. Sure hope the transmission company can figure it out. This stinks! :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, if the correct flywheel, torque convertor and starter are all bolted together and aligned correctly, it has to be either the crank or transmission input shaft. I mean....what else is there?

How much did Gary drive Rusty before selling him down the river?

You'd think if the torque converter were bent or not seated right the starter would be making weird noise when it engaged the ring gear on the flex plate.

Just thought you gents would like to see the failed flexplate removed from Rusty.

Something has to be seriously wrong within the transmission for this to keep happening so quickly. Sorry this has become a repeat issue.

Something has to be seriously wrong within the transmission for this to keep happening so quickly. Sorry this has become a repeat issue.

I'm really wanting to get this figured out. I can already tell I'll be breaking flexplates in my sleep tonight.

Jim, the starter engagement sounded just fine. Once the truck was warm just a bump of the starter would get Rusty going.

Shaun, at this rate I'm going to need to update my signature with MPF, miles per flexplate ratings or get into the custom garage clock business.