Bullnose Forums

80s accessories that are still cool

The roll bar I am looking at it has a light bar mount that bolts to the tube center line. I know I would need to get the light bar mount base as I don't think I could get a bolt on CB antenna mount for a 3" roll bar tube. Then I don't know if I want to risk scratching the roll bar finish all up on something I may or may not keep on the truck. At least if it scratches up the light bar mount I can just buy that separate and replace it.

The ones on dad's truck are 3" tubes. He put his CB antenna on the roof, but that's probably because when he put it in the truck the roll bar wasn't on it yet.

I'm enjoying all the responses so far! I haven't been posting but just taking it in and checking it frequently.

How 80s are turbine wheels? I've a set made by Pacer that are wrapped in 33s that I'm picking up tomorrow! They are the rims in my profile pic. I'll try to upload a good pic. They are also the same wheels the first owner bought for the truck (truck used to belong to a family friend's dad) so I want them on there, I love a good story and I know his family would appreciate it.

Turbines are more of a 70s thing I think, but I'd imagine they were still around in the 80s. I still think wagon wheels were more of an 80s wheel than Turbines are.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roll bar I am looking at it has a light bar mount that bolts to the tube center line. I know I would need to get the light bar mount base as I don't think I could get a bolt on CB antenna mount for a 3" roll bar tube. Then I don't know if I want to risk scratching the roll bar finish all up on something I may or may not keep on the truck. At least if it scratches up the light bar mount I can just buy that separate and replace it.

The ones on dad's truck are 3" tubes. He put his CB antenna on the roof, but that's probably because when he put it in the truck the roll bar wasn't on it yet.

I'm enjoying all the responses so far! I haven't been posting but just taking it in and checking it frequently.

How 80s are turbine wheels? I've a set made by Pacer that are wrapped in 33s that I'm picking up tomorrow! They are the rims in my profile pic. I'll try to upload a good pic. They are also the same wheels the first owner bought for the truck (truck used to belong to a family friend's dad) so I want them on there, I love a good story and I know his family would appreciate it.

Turbines are more of a 70s thing I think, but I'd imagine they were still around in the 80s. I still think wagon wheels were more of an 80s wheel than Turbines are.

Mine is magnetic mount on the roof but when I get my truck painted I don't want to put it back on the roof.

This is what the roll bar looks like with optional light bar to mount the lights. I can get it chrome or black. I think chrome even though the white painted OE color is kind of growing on me. It would also allow me to cut into the roll bar tubes to mount some flush mounted LED lights to illuminate my bed. If I had a style side bed I could run some bed lights under the over hang but I don't and I don't want to cut a hole in my cab to mount a cargo box light there. Next best was my idea of possibly mounting some in the roll bar itself.

grh-9009560ssc_xl.jpg.646ffc58a65ad3651a488f948349633d.jpg

And the same bar without the optional light bar.

grh-9209560ssc_hb.jpg.61bac87467f32925957c988056c20989.jpg

Without the light bar I can pick the bar up for under $800

Mine is magnetic mount on the roof but when I get my truck painted I don't want to put it back on the roof.

This is what the roll bar looks like with optional light bar to mount the lights. I can get it chrome or black. I think chrome even though the white painted OE color is kind of growing on me. It would also allow me to cut into the roll bar tubes to mount some flush mounted LED lights to illuminate my bed. If I had a style side bed I could run some bed lights under the over hang but I don't and I don't want to cut a hole in my cab to mount a cargo box light there. Next best was my idea of possibly mounting some in the roll bar itself.

And the same bar without the optional light bar.

Without the light bar I can pick the bar up for under $800

I prefer the double/single style, but I can't stand the light bar above the roll bars. I would much rather have the mounting tabs, it looks far cleaner.

I'd be checking around for used ones. I picked mine up for $150. They fit pretty universally.

I prefer the double/single style, but I can't stand the light bar above the roll bars. I would much rather have the mounting tabs, it looks far cleaner.

I'd be checking around for used ones. I picked mine up for $150. They fit pretty universally.

Also, I should add, if any of you guys are on Facebook and dig these accessories, checked out the page called "Lifted trucks from the 70s/80s/90s".

Some of the builds on there from back in the day are outstanding. That will really give you a perspective on what was popular at the time. I'll try and snag some photos from there to share shortly.

They have the double bars with the single kicker but I just think that might take up way too much bed space. I mean the bed on flare sides are small as it is and I don't plan on carrying a lot in my truck but I like to not kill the capability of carrying something if I have to.

They have the double bars with the single kicker but I just think that might take up way too much bed space. I mean the bed on flare sides are small as it is and I don't plan on carrying a lot in my truck but I like to not kill the capability of carrying something if I have to.

I can see that with a flare side. I have a styleside short box and honestly it never really interfered. In fact, its come in handy as an anchor point and not having to use ratchet straps stacking wood pallets back there.

I can see that with a flare side. I have a styleside short box and honestly it never really interfered. In fact, its come in handy as an anchor point and not having to use ratchet straps stacking wood pallets back there.

IMG_20200509_114546.jpg.b14ea1c016f71f089a67a8e105286c20.jpg These are the turbine wheels I have in some 33s. They need a lot of love with some polish. Not really 80s but still old schoo

These are the turbine wheels I have in some 33s. They need a lot of love with some polish. Not really 80s but still old schoo

Those look great!

I like the look of Turbine/Cyclone/Hurricane wheels, but you're going to hate cleaning mud & ice out of them.

They get WAY imbalanced.

Those look great!

I like the look of Turbine/Cyclone/Hurricane wheels, but you're going to hate cleaning mud & ice out of them.

They get WAY imbalanced.

Thanks! Yes, they are a pain to clean but they look soooo good when they're cleaned up. And they space the tires out just a little to make it look slightly aggressive. I now know why the original owner had fender flares.

Has anyone had any experience with balancing beads/media you can put in tires? These are a pain to keep balanced. But looking cool is number one priority of course:nabble_smiley_cool:

Thankfully these are 15" wheels so finding tires wasn't too bad. Although there was less of a selection then you would think