Bullnose Forums

80s accessories that are still cool

This is a old photo from 2016, truck looks worse now though. more rust from sitting for 2 years awaiting my engine swap.

Pushbar took me about 6 years of searching online till I found a NOS unit on ebay, its a Rally brand and picked it up the moment it went on ebay for $220. I started off with small round LED lights as I wanted brightness but they were cheapies and weren't too bright so I upgraded to 6" KC Apollo driving lights.

I also have my Wilson 2000 antenna and at this time I still had my Cobra CB with Weather as it didn't die on me till 2017.

And a photo of my cobra setup in 2016.

I not only paid to have the radio tuned by the CB shop in Flordia, I also paid for an Echo mod as well as converting the CB to Blue LED illumination to match the blue interior illumination. Only thing I didn't like was the greenish back lit text was only illuminated partly as the right half was dead.

And a photo of my Galaxy I installed inplace of the old refurbished Cobra that failed on me twice in 2 years.

I have a CB on mine as well, a NOS Cobra 18 WX ST. Weather bands are obsolete, but as a CB it works fine.

Need to put a proper antenna on it... right now I have a jerry rigged "cellular style" antenna on the roof (magnet mount). I'm leaning towards a 1/4 wave whip on the back, but I haven't bought anything yet. I have a wilson 1000 on my 1995 Ranger, but on such a small truck it's a lot easier to access the center of the roof when needing to drop the antenna (parking garages, car washes, etc).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CB on mine as well, a NOS Cobra 18 WX ST. Weather bands are obsolete, but as a CB it works fine.

Need to put a proper antenna on it... right now I have a jerry rigged "cellular style" antenna on the roof (magnet mount). I'm leaning towards a 1/4 wave whip on the back, but I haven't bought anything yet. I have a wilson 1000 on my 1995 Ranger, but on such a small truck it's a lot easier to access the center of the roof when needing to drop the antenna (parking garages, car washes, etc).

See that's what I was thinking of doing if I got a roll bar mounted in my truck I seriously thought about tossing the Wilson 2000 magnet mount and go with a rigid mount antenna on the roll bar itself.

Problem is all the reading I have done stated that would result in horrible transmitting ability. But at the same time once I get my truck painted I don't want the mount on the cab as it will protect that area of paint from the sun and cause a ring to form over time. Plus I don't like the cb antenna wire just simply laying behind the back window.

Big reason why I have to seriously contemplate if I keep my CB or not. I might spend the money and try a rigid mount on the roll bar and see if I can get the antenna tuned like I have it tuned now. if I can then I will gladly keep it since the antenna lead would be hidden in the roll bar along with any lights I add.

See that's what I was thinking of doing if I got a roll bar mounted in my truck I seriously thought about tossing the Wilson 2000 magnet mount and go with a rigid mount antenna on the roll bar itself.

Problem is all the reading I have done stated that would result in horrible transmitting ability. But at the same time once I get my truck painted I don't want the mount on the cab as it will protect that area of paint from the sun and cause a ring to form over time. Plus I don't like the cb antenna wire just simply laying behind the back window.

Big reason why I have to seriously contemplate if I keep my CB or not. I might spend the money and try a rigid mount on the roll bar and see if I can get the antenna tuned like I have it tuned now. if I can then I will gladly keep it since the antenna lead would be hidden in the roll bar along with any lights I add.

Not a fan, but those gator tail gate net things were a thing for a while.

I had a Wilson 1000 on my truck, but wanted a permanent mount. I used a Firestik extended stake mount that I had.

It’s under my toolbox on the passenger side. Here’s a link.

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Edit: That didn’t work! Go to mounts, then stake hole, ext.

Man...I remember those! What was the point?

How about those tailegates that had a cutout in the middle. I think they were designed for laying lumber in, or maybe they were just clearance for backing up to a fifth wheel? I never understood why a guy couldnt just lower his tailgate when backing up to a fifth wheel. But I saw guys using them for centering their lumber loads. The tailgate would hold the lumber up in the back and center in the truck.

Man...I remember those! What was the point?

Better gas mileage due to not having to pull a solid tailgate through the air dropping off the back of the cab. I'm not saying it was significant, but that was the idea.

How about those tailegates that had a cutout in the middle. I think they were designed for laying lumber in, or maybe they were just clearance for backing up to a fifth wheel? I never understood why a guy couldnt just lower his tailgate when backing up to a fifth wheel. But I saw guys using them for centering their lumber loads. The tailgate would hold the lumber up in the back and center in the truck.

I mostly ever see those with a 5th wheel. They are usually a little shorter too, so they let you tow a trailer and still keep stuff from sliding out

I had a Wilson 1000 on my truck, but wanted a permanent mount. I used a Firestik extended stake mount that I had.

It’s under my toolbox on the passenger side. Here’s a link.

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Edit: That didn’t work! Go to mounts, then stake hole, ext.

I thought of that option as well once my camper is off but I prefer uniform and think a center mount on a roll bar if I got one would be better. Only problem is being a flare side the roll bar wouldn't be grounded to the chassis as the truck has a wood bed. So not sure if running a ground strap from the roll bar to the frame itself would be good at helping a roll bar antenna mount to have an actual ground plane.

I thought of that option as well once my camper is off but I prefer uniform and think a center mount on a roll bar if I got one would be better. Only problem is being a flare side the roll bar wouldn't be grounded to the chassis as the truck has a wood bed. So not sure if running a ground strap from the roll bar to the frame itself would be good at helping a roll bar antenna mount to have an actual ground plane.

DeeZee used to have a cowl that fit behind the cab. (Fastback?)

Gave you a place to mount lights too.

Made it look like an Avalanche, decades before there was an Avalanche.

I'm not saying it's "cool" or not but if you want your truck to scream '80's, that would be it.

I'm not saying it's "cool" or not but if you want your truck to scream '80's, that would be it.

Racerback is what I beleive they were called. More of a 90s thing I think, but still cool.

zachstrucksnew_look.jpg.2f2d67744c93bf662e79994b895f68fe.jpg

Racerback is what I beleive they were called. More of a 90s thing I think, but still cool.

Ah, maybe a '90's thing.

I remember seeing them on bricknose trucks like mine.

Looked better on the little Rangers.

Definitely a period piece.