Bullnose Forums

80s accessories that are still cool

I got my driver's licence early in 1988, so I remember very well when there were loads of these trucks on the road, and I bought my first Bullnose in the early 90's (a 1980 F100 Flareside). I was never much of an accessories guy...and truth be told, as a young fella I probably couldn't afford them back in those days anyway...lol.

I forget who said it above, but I sure did like the wagon wheels back then...in white or chrome, and tires with raised white letters...I was a sucker for those, and I still am. It's one of those things that people either love or hate though...much like other accessories.

For the full 1980's experience...install a tape deck, and throw a dozen or so cassettes all over the bench seat...lol. I swear I can still see them when I get in my "new" Bullnose almost 30 years later!

I think on wheels it depends on early 80's or mid 80's

Not a Ford But I bought a new 86 4x4 K5 diesel Blazer.

The wheels I added where steel bullet hole ones, same as factory but was able to get 5 (spare) for the price of factory 4.

Grille guard but I had the square KC driving lights on it and CK square fog lights under the bumper were they do the most good. Bug shield on hood, I did have a CB with trucker ant. mounted to the mirrors.

Roof rack & rear window wind deflector was all I added to the truck.

Now on my 81 F100 flare side I bought it used with turbine wheels and I would think they where a carry over from the mid to late 70's into early 80's.

Because the truck is a 4x2 I don't think it would look good with a grille guard, bed roll bar or KC lights so I have not looked to add them.

Now I do have fog / driving lights but I mounted them in the bumper (guess a 2000thing?), not above or below as I did not think it would look good.

20200101_135548.jpg.2f188987db463f7be10bf8ddb6e24848.jpg

Both the Blazer & the F100 have tape decks and some tapes are in the glove box, too much other stuff I need on the seat and floor.

Dave ----

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBs are cool, but I recommend getting one with NOAA features as they're pretty worthless otherwise. Can't speak for other states, but I've been all over Florida in my daily and rarely ever hear another person.

CBs are cool, but I recommend getting one with NOAA features as they're pretty worthless otherwise. Can't speak for other states, but I've been all over Florida in my daily and rarely ever hear another person.

I'll be 52 sn and I have a CB radio in all my vehicles. There's a group of us that talk all the time. It is the ORIGINAL social network!

Still have the Regency Informer CB from dads truck actually. The car phone is long long gone though.

Still have the Regency Informer CB from dads truck actually. The car phone is long long gone though.

I've had a CB in my daily for over five years now, and I can only remember a few conversations with random people I was able to pick up. Otherwise, I use it to communicate with my friends on the trail, or out on the ranch, and to listen to the NOAA updates during inclement weather.

I have one in my work truck (18 wheeler) and I hardly turn it on. I use it mostly when I get to load sites to hear when I am lined up with the load cone for cement.

Only a few have radios, others have loud speakers, horns or TV screens you can see for line up.

Because of where and what I drive for work, local radio stations work the best 90% of the time.

In the last few years o long trips I have not installed one in the DD as you would not hear anything till too late.

Dave ----

I have one in my work truck (18 wheeler) and I hardly turn it on. I use it mostly when I get to load sites to hear when I am lined up with the load cone for cement.

Only a few have radios, others have loud speakers, horns or TV screens you can see for line up.

Because of where and what I drive for work, local radio stations work the best 90% of the time.

In the last few years o long trips I have not installed one in the DD as you would not hear anything till too late.

Dave ----

Don't forget the "Firestick" fiberglass antennas, need one on both mirrors!

Dave ----

I've had a CB in my daily for over five years now, and I can only remember a few conversations with random people I was able to pick up. Otherwise, I use it to communicate with my friends on the trail, or out on the ranch, and to listen to the NOAA updates during inclement weather.

Around here you can get a lot of action, CH19 on the highway is always active, locally in the city CH 7/8 and CH 12 are active.

Ive personally been thinking about getting rid of my CB setup just because its extra stuff on the truck and not sure how useful it will be in the long term. I figured out on the highway it would be way more useful for me especially during storms to find out what roads are blocked by water. But I have yet to see how well my setup will work in hilly terrain.

My first setup had the weather feature but the radio took a crap on me and the guy in flordia I bought it from that put the upgrades I wanted into it, he quit taking mail in repairs and mine doesn't switch on. I replaced the switch as the switch felt weird but it still doesn't turn on so I just ended up getting a out of the box Galaxy unit without weather that has a built in power output knob.

Dave ----

before I parked my truck for the engine swap a couple years ago, I wasn't even really turning mine on much. I have to see how useful it is for me once I am moved. If the radio becomes useful I will keep it. otherwise I think I will remove it to try and clean up the interior from clutter.

On antenna`s I looked at the firestick ones but ended up going with the Wilson 2000 magnetic mount I currently have two screw in tops for my Wilson 2000 magnetic mount I leave a center load shorty antenna for city use and I have a full length antenna for highway use both of which were cut to tune it to my setup.

Really like the antenna and the ability to remove the antenna and leave the magnetic base.

Dave ----

I never had a CB myself, but I loved some of those whip antennas installed on the old pickups.

212386_Side_Profile_Web.jpg.6e3af2f3f4cd420f5872ca5334036dd4.jpg