Bullnose Forums

5.8/351W block

I can't answer your question specifically, but there was a guy on here just a few days ago that is researching this very topic. See thread linked below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Roller-351-economical-and-effective-td56835.html#a57246

No problem using a roller block with your old cover and water pump. It's a direct changeover as far as those parts go.

Shouldn't be a change the blocks were the same just had the provisions for a roller camshaft.

Its the same thing im doing just in 302 form for my '82. Block is a late model 302 HO roller block that is being back dated to '82 configuration via timing chain cover, water pump, balancer, pulleys, bracketry, ignition system, ect.

Its actually quite nice cause you can get late model durability in the form of a roller cam but still able to use your OE parts to an extent.

Shouldn't be a change the blocks were the same just had the provisions for a roller camshaft.

Its the same thing im doing just in 302 form for my '82. Block is a late model 302 HO roller block that is being back dated to '82 configuration via timing chain cover, water pump, balancer, pulleys, bracketry, ignition system, ect.

Its actually quite nice cause you can get late model durability in the form of a roller cam but still able to use your OE parts to an extent.

Rusty, the roller blocks had slightly taller lifter bores for roller cams. The older engines not factory roller ready require link bars for the lifters or holes drilled for the spider tray.

Rusty, the roller blocks had slightly taller lifter bores for roller cams. The older engines not factory roller ready require link bars for the lifters or holes drilled for the spider tray.

Correct but externally they were the same block which means they will bolt up with older components just fine.

Its why I am seeking a true roller block as I don't want to run link bars they are more expensive and ive seen my fair share of them failing.

I have been running down the road for a few months now with a 95 roller block in my 84 f150. Works just fine. Better actually. I'm running the 95 serpentine accessories on the front but it sounds like you should be able to run your vbelt setup. Would be cool to hide a roller in stock clothing๐Ÿ˜Ž

I can post some build pics of mine if need be and let you know of any bumps you might run into building one. If you have any more questions ask away. The goal with mine was economical with a ton of torque using mostly stock parts so if that's your goal too I can help:nabble_smiley_good:

I have been running down the road for a few months now with a 95 roller block in my 84 f150. Works just fine. Better actually. I'm running the 95 serpentine accessories on the front but it sounds like you should be able to run your vbelt setup. Would be cool to hide a roller in stock clothing๐Ÿ˜Ž

I can post some build pics of mine if need be and let you know of any bumps you might run into building one. If you have any more questions ask away. The goal with mine was economical with a ton of torque using mostly stock parts so if that's your goal too I can help:nabble_smiley_good:

That's what my goal is. I want my 82 to look as stock as possible but deep down under the OE Ford Corporate Blue engine is a AFR headed roller 306 with 9.5:1 compression and a crane truckmax roller cam.

I already did lots of looking at photos and comparing blocks from everything I have seen the roller 302 is just like the non roller 302 from the outside. sort of like how the 283, 327, 305, and 350 engines by GM all have the same exterior block layout that you can bolt any of them into as old as a '57 Chevrolet with front engine mounts as the front engine mounts were repurposed to accessory mounts post 1960.

Only thing I wish I could do would be run a multi belt serpentine setup but maintain the bolt on Dealer AC V belt. I just don't think that would be possible due to how wide the serpentine belts would be.

I am currently running a 94 5.0 roller motor with the v belt setup in my 84 flareside. Time to upgrade to a 5.8 roller.

I say good luck. I would love to upgrade the 5.8L in my '78 Mercury to a roller but they can be hard to find especially if you are looking for a buildable core kind of block.

I know powertrain products sell a long block 5.8L roller but its quite pricy at $1,914.00 not including the $350 core and the $200 shipping.