Bullnose Forums

New job....at LMC!

Same with the plastic interior dash trim bezels that used to be offered at one time as well.

Some of the stuff LMC carries appears to be NOS, and the prices will reflect that. Problem is, when they're gone, they're gone. They have a bunch of odds and ends from the interior that must be NOS parts just by how they're listed imho. There are a bunch in the catalogs.

A lot of plastic pieces likely have to be ordered in huge quantities, so I could see them having inventory of something for a long time, but then possibly not reorder it again due to lower demand.

Same with the plastic interior dash trim bezels that used to be offered at one time as well.

Some of the stuff LMC carries appears to be NOS, and the prices will reflect that. Problem is, when they're gone, they're gone. They have a bunch of odds and ends from the interior that must be NOS parts just by how they're listed imho. There are a bunch in the catalogs.

A lot of plastic pieces likely have to be ordered in huge quantities, so I could see them having inventory of something for a long time, but then possibly not reorder it again due to lower demand.

If the dies don't exist anymore NO amount of demand would make it profitable to reproduce interior parts.

Think of the manufacturing might of Ford in the 1980's

Think of how many F-Series they sold each year.

I think we know where some of those dies went.

But if you want something the size of a dashboard, or even a door panel...

If the dies don't exist anymore NO amount of demand would make it profitable to reproduce interior parts.

Think of the manufacturing might of Ford in the 1980's

Think of how many F-Series they sold each year.

I think we know where some of those dies went.

But if you want something the size of a dashboard, or even a door panel...

Dennis Carpenter has the original dies for the door panels he got from Ford that hes selling.

Its why I bought the door panels for my '82 from him as they are stout and made just like the original unlike the flimsy junk LMC sells as door panels.

If LMC or even Dennis Carpenter could get the dies to the whole dashboard itself I would buy it right now if they offered the non AC variant so I could cut out the pieces for my dealer AC. My dash is split and cracked but finding a non AC dash to modify to fit my dealer AC is almost impossible.

But for me I was thinking something along the lines for interior pieces such as the pillar trim pieces on the interior they used to sell them not anymore. The bezels around the speedometer and radio which they as well as NPD used to sell but not anymore. Kick panels would be another thing for our trucks that have the floor vents, I had to buy a used set that's better than my old ones but still not as nice as my reproduction door panels I got from Dennis-Carpenter.

It's kinda like I told Gary...over the past couple decades, through the three FORDification sites and various FORDification Facebook groups I've always done what was best for the trucks and the hobby as a whole. But now I have to also look at things from a slightly different additional angle, a professional angle I've never had to worry about before, so it'll be a bit of a balancing act to be effective at both. Ideally it can benefit both, while minimizing the risk of other vendors beating us to the punch in getting these parts reproduced. While in discussions with the personnel at LMC I was assured that they're really wanting to approach this market pretty aggressively, so I'm confident right now that they're going to follow through with expanding the list of available parts.

We'll get it figured out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Keith, in my original reply to this thread I offered help with the information I've compiled on obsolete parts prioritized by how marketable they are. I'm not Bill but I have spent the last 18 months hunting parts almost daily. I have a list of parts I've considered making and NOS to mold from on the shelf if I ever get around to it. Not sure I'd be great at it. I haven't sold a single part since I got my truck. No telling how many parts I've given out, paid the shipping on too. I do know my donor truck has put a dozen daily drivers back in commission. I know which parts are priceless and which ones guys are actually buying because I'm one of those guys. I deal in parts on a regular basis. Heck, I even buy parts I don't need just because the price is so much below average. They sit on the shelf gathering dust until someone needs them. It's a passion. Had a guy from out of state message me on Facebook because he heard I could help him find some parts. Lucky for both of us I managed to find him the only NOS one on the internet.

I don't know if you saw the olive branch or not because your immediate post was about LMC's bottom line. So I rescinded the offer for now. I assume you are, or were, an enthusiast before you put on the suit and tie and became a company man which is why I wanted to discuss a few things with you before I got on my soap box and called down fire and brimstone. I have a lot of issues with LMC that we can discuss at length if you'd like. My biggest concern though is for the enthusiast and your message made it sound like they were the last one you were thinking of. I'm worried that you are going to prey upon communities like this one. You know any x-flow head salesmen? I think you are going to take everyone's wish list and pick out the cheapest easiest parts that cater to the widest market, mass produce them over seas out of the prettiest junk that wouldn't hold it's shape if frozen and offer it up for the low low price of it's weight in gold.

This era truck is obviously the next niche. Most parts are obsolete and the greater enthusiast community is just starting to count them as worthwhile. Everything older than these everyone is mass producing parts for. And anything new than this Ford still offers parts for. It's a no brainer and it should have been maintained when they tried it a decade ago. But you'll have a hard time getting the backing of the bullnose community for a bunch of guys who don't know what's going on mass producing parts for guys that don't know better. Did you know you can buy averagely priced NOS parts on ebay for cheaper than cheaply made reproductions? Just food for thought. You and LMC stand to make a killing, but what is the community going to get?

Looks like I forgot to hit reply before I tripped over that soap box. I did give you the Cliffnotes version.

What I wanted to ask to start is how much free rein are they giving you over this? How much influence are you really going to have? You made it sound like they were going to elect you king of their entire Ford line. Whereas I'm worried when it comes down to it you are going to be second chair to the profit margins and when it comes time for you to vote for us your hands are going to be tied as tight as mine when the part I desperately need is only available through LMC. For the record, if the cost of parts are going to exceed half the value, the best value for time is to buy a new one.

I guess it depends on how much money you can get for those parts and what the ROI is.

I remember talking to a gal at LMC a couple years ago about a Bullnose core support, and I recall her saying at the time they had almost 300 of them in-stock ready to go. It was 280 or 285, whatever. I'm sure they had to order several hundred of them to get the manufacturer to even fire up the press. Back in the 80's. when Ford was building hundreds of trucks a day, the presses probably never stopped;).

Meanwhile, the southern guys are like "Why would anyone ever buy a core support???"...haha.

A think the biggest challenge in evaluating parts for Keith/LMC is going to be judging between actual demand, and perceived demand. Next down that is list is quality vs. price. The factory restoration crowd is one thing...they're not as price sensitive as the average Joe. The average Joe wants top quality, but usually only wants to pay Wal-Mart prices. It's tough to strike a balance here. I'm in sales and we deal with this all the time. I know what hundreds of thousands of dollars of dead stock looks like...lol, so if a company is going to order something, they have to make damn sure they have a market for it;).

In any case, I wish Keith the best of luck with the new gig.

I guess it depends on how much money you can get for those parts and what the ROI is.

I remember talking to a gal at LMC a couple years ago about a Bullnose core support, and I recall her saying at the time they had almost 300 of them in-stock ready to go. It was 280 or 285, whatever. I'm sure they had to order several hundred of them to get the manufacturer to even fire up the press. Back in the 80's. when Ford was building hundreds of trucks a day, the presses probably never stopped;).

Meanwhile, the southern guys are like "Why would anyone ever buy a core support???"...haha.

A think the biggest challenge in evaluating parts for Keith/LMC is going to be judging between actual demand, and perceived demand. Next down that is list is quality vs. price. The factory restoration crowd is one thing...they're not as price sensitive as the average Joe. The average Joe wants top quality, but usually only wants to pay Wal-Mart prices. It's tough to strike a balance here. I'm in sales and we deal with this all the time. I know what hundreds of thousands of dollars of dead stock looks like...lol, so if a company is going to order something, they have to make damn sure they have a market for it;).

We might be surprised at what 3D scanning and printing can do for making parts. For instance it wouldn't be all that hard to scan the kick panel vents and make them. Nor horn pads. But, on horn pads the trick would be to hydro-dip the right finish on.

I may be wrong, but I don't think LMC makes parts. My guess is that they work with manufacturers to have things made. And if they are the first one in the door they have that manufacturer sign an agreement that they won't sell to anyone else for X years.

So I'm guessing that Keith is trying to create a list of things to go see if he can get made.

We might be surprised at what 3D scanning and printing can do for making parts. For instance it wouldn't be all that hard to scan the kick panel vents and make them. Nor horn pads. But, on horn pads the trick would be to hydro-dip the right finish on.

I may be wrong, but I don't think LMC makes parts. My guess is that they work with manufacturers to have things made. And if they are the first one in the door they have that manufacturer sign an agreement that they won't sell to anyone else for X years.

So I'm guessing that Keith is trying to create a list of things to go see if he can get made.

I won't be surprised.

Porsche is now making obsolete parts going back forever, in both plastic and metal by scanning actual parts and doctoring them up.

To have enough meat to machine, or provide surface texture.

Taking that a step further -to create a die for production- is just that.

A step, not a leap.

We buy new core supports as its easier than trying to clean up the old one at work. We don't have powdercoating capability so when we get a truck in to restore or restomod we always source a new core support to paint and install over taking the time to clean up the old one. The old parts that we would otherwise junk I bring home and have them put up to sell one day when I have time to inventory what I have.

Like for example I got a used non tilt column that came out of a '82 F150 I did a 5.0 coyote swap restomod on, guy just wanted a tilt so there is nothing wrong with this one, it is a useable column but I might take it apart and service it with fresh paint before selling it.

So I could see a minor need for core supports for these trucks even in the south in some cases.

From what I understood LMC doesn't make anything, they are just a middle man selling products made by others. When I was looking for replacement windshield trim they told me that the company that made them for them went out of business and they don't know when they would get more in.

Really sucks cause when I go to take my truck to paint the back window is going to be pulled to replace the rubber as its bad, and the trim would be removed with the windshield possibly to ensure the paint is done proper.

So for me I am seeking NOS trim pieces for example such as the interior pillar trim pieces, the kick panels, a NOS or nicely used non air dashboard, even looking for a NOS dealer AC kit so I can pull my old one out and install a new unit.

While I bought some things from LMC, I have bought most of my components from Dennis-Carpenter and NPD with a even larger part being NOS as no one makes them. Such as my seat belt, they make a replacement style but the replacement style is pure junk and locks up when you try to pull the seat belt out. I luckily found a NOS driverside set, but still on the hunt for NOS center and passengerside sets.

Another is the bench seat, they sell some components for bench seats but yet they don't sell a reproduction bench seat frame for those of us that don't have the original seat and is on the hunt for a new seat. I found a bunch online used but they either never reply back to my price inquiry or they come back with a insane price tag of $500+ for a bench seat that needs to be rebuilt.

I won't be surprised.

Porsche is now making obsolete parts going back forever, in both plastic and metal by scanning actual parts and doctoring them up.

To have enough meat to machine, or provide surface texture.

Taking that a step further -to create a die for production- is just that.

A step, not a leap.

The door panels LMC sells for our trucks are cast from molds of a dirty used door panel. When compared to my new panels made off the original molds you can see the twist in the threads where on LMC`s you can barely see the threads themselves due to paint and dirt from the panel they molded from. Sad thing is those panels were like $230 for them and the paint on them is weak, the panels are flimsy, and the detail is horrible. Ones I got from Dennis-Carpenter were $100 for a pair then I bought SEM adhesion promoter and midnight blue still ended up costing me still under $150 for a stout door panel with amazing details to the panels.