Bullnose Forums

Cheap welders?

swampedout

The titanium is WELL worth the extra $50-60.

I've used them both.

I'll have to post some pics of the railing I made, when I can get a new phone.

Ok, thanks for all the opinions.

Id definitely prefer Mig or Tig for body work so we'll see where I go.

Im probly picking up an 8500w generator today with 120 and 240 outlets so my options may be broader than I thought.

The first welding I ever saw was FC and a lot of it was outdoors so Im used to spatter. And all my welding will be outdoors as well.

But I also got some tiny 1/16 6013 to mess around with this weekend. All I really need to do is spot weld and tack panels. This is for a toyota guys, dont worry, Im not welding on the Ford. So it doesnt need to be pretty.

Ok, thanks for all the opinions.

Id definitely prefer Mig or Tig for body work so we'll see where I go.

Im probly picking up an 8500w generator today with 120 and 240 outlets so my options may be broader than I thought.

The first welding I ever saw was FC and a lot of it was outdoors so Im used to spatter. And all my welding will be outdoors as well.

But I also got some tiny 1/16 6013 to mess around with this weekend. All I really need to do is spot weld and tack panels. This is for a toyota guys, dont worry, Im not welding on the Ford. So it doesnt need to be pretty.

None of it needs to be pretty, as long as it's solid. 💪

My truck is proof enough of that.

How low can you drop your amperage and still burn 1/16 rods?

That's like .063, and I prefer .025 to .030 or .035 in my MIG for body panels.

None of it needs to be pretty, as long as it's solid. 💪

My truck is proof enough of that.

How low can you drop your amperage and still burn 1/16 rods?

That's like .063, and I prefer .025 to .030 or .035 in my MIG for body panels.

Thats what Im hoping to find out this weekend. Ive only welded 1/8 rod so I really dont know what I can do with smaller stuff.

Once Ive burnt holes through all my thin gauge scrap metal, Ill give you a real answer, Jim.

Ive seen youtube videos of people doing what id like to do with smaw, but they have a lot more practice than me.

I picked up the generator today so now I have options for the future if I do decide to buy another machine. Id love to go TIG some day

Thats what Im hoping to find out this weekend. Ive only welded 1/8 rod so I really dont know what I can do with smaller stuff.

Once Ive burnt holes through all my thin gauge scrap metal, Ill give you a real answer, Jim.

Ive seen youtube videos of people doing what id like to do with smaw, but they have a lot more practice than me.

I picked up the generator today so now I have options for the future if I do decide to buy another machine. Id love to go TIG some day

Don't forget to use a ground stake with your new generator.

It really does make a difference to the machine.

I'd really like to have a big old Synchrowave, like I picked up from a school auction back in the day.

That thing weighed a ton and was barely used (probably because they didn't have a welding instructor, iDK)

When liability rates reared their head and public policy decided every kid needed to go to college, public schools started shedding their 'industrial arts' classrooms like their pants were on fire.

I bought a water cooled 350 with high freq for under $500 at a school district auction.

Don't forget to use a ground stake with your new generator.

It really does make a difference to the machine.

I'd really like to have a big old Synchrowave, like I picked up from a school auction back in the day.

That thing weighed a ton and was barely used (probably because they didn't have a welding instructor, iDK)

When liability rates reared their head and public policy decided every kid needed to go to college, public schools started shedding their 'industrial arts' classrooms like their pants were on fire.

I bought a water cooled 350 with high freq for under $500 at a school district auction.

Well I got some welding done on 18 ga with 1/16th 6013 electrodes. I got two plates spot welded enough to take five whacks from the biggest little hammer I own. With more practice, Im sure I could do more but the generator really doesnt like going low amps. The lowest my machine goes is 35 amps but I was having trouble striking an arc. When I stuck the electrode, the welder really didnt like that. I had it mostly btw 40 and 45.

Makes me wish I was in tech school and could experiment with someone elses welder!

So ultimately, the search continues. Im thinking Mig now but im still welding outdoors so idk...

Well I got some welding done on 18 ga with 1/16th 6013 electrodes. I got two plates spot welded enough to take five whacks from the biggest little hammer I own. With more practice, Im sure I could do more but the generator really doesnt like going low amps. The lowest my machine goes is 35 amps but I was having trouble striking an arc. When I stuck the electrode, the welder really didnt like that. I had it mostly btw 40 and 45.

Makes me wish I was in tech school and could experiment with someone elses welder!

So ultimately, the search continues. Im thinking Mig now but im still welding outdoors so idk...

Welding outdoors isn't impossible with MIG.

Maybe you need a windbreak? Maybe you need a bigger cup and more gas?

I did plenty of it a month ago.

My welds were ugly but solid. I definitely need practice. :nabble_smiley_blush:

You're at the mercy of the breeze, and it's not optimal.

The other thing I don't like outdoors is light inside my helmet.

I don't have a pancake like a pipeliner, but I see why they wear them.

Draping a black tee shirt over the back of your head helps a lot.

If you were closer I'd offer to let you take my Titanium 125 fcaw for a spin.

I've got plenty of wire, and the machine is inexpensive and light enough for me not to worry about it.

Have a look at what some of Ramses was doing to his soon-to-be dually welding rig.

He was obviously using flux to weld his seat frame and cab corners.

So it's not impossible to accomplish with practice.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-from-PR-tp56855p62882.html

I've got plenty of wire, and the machine is inexpensive and light enough for me not to worry about it.

Have a look at what some of Ramses was doing to his soon-to-be dually welding rig.

Wow, thats good work.

I know what I want to do can be done with FCAW, I have seen other people prove it. My welding skills are not there at all.

Now Im wondering what would a cheap MIG setup cost and how would it do outdoors, maybe with some sort of windbreak for my welding area.

Wow, thats good work.

I know what I want to do can be done with FCAW, I have seen other people prove it. My welding skills are not there at all.

Now Im wondering what would a cheap MIG setup cost and how would it do outdoors, maybe with some sort of windbreak for my welding area.

Thanks for the offer on using the 125. Part of the reason Im thinking HF is because theyre so cheap. Even if I cant weld sheet metal, I still have a decent little welder that will definitely be put to work on other projects.

Just out of curioisity (spellcheck?), whats the smallest gauge youve done with the 125?