Bullnose Forums

New Project! But not a bullnose

Ray Cecil

I donated a 16' car trailer load of scrap steel the an old guy down the road Saturday. We got to talkin, and I noticed a pretty decent looking 1989 Crown Vic sitting behind a barn. Long story short, I am picking it up for 500 bucks tomorrow. 5.0 FI. Pics coming tomorrow.

So, a Crown Vic swap? Under what? And a 5.0L FI? Into what?

Well...I dunno. I couldnt pass it up for $500. Its got an AOD and a 302. Lousy 150hp, cast piston....

It is Sequential Port Fuel Injection.

So, maybe take the better e7 heads from the bronco, and do a cam swap into this low mileage crown vic bottom end and i stall factory sequential FI???

How is an AOD as a 4x4 tranny, can it be modified easily to accept a tcase? Is it not worth the effort?

Im thinking of building a good 302 for the Flareside.

Is the factory FI on this vic garbage? Is it a fine system? Can it easily be tuned?

Well...I dunno. I couldnt pass it up for $500. Its got an AOD and a 302. Lousy 150hp, cast piston....

It is Sequential Port Fuel Injection.

So, maybe take the better e7 heads from the bronco, and do a cam swap into this low mileage crown vic bottom end and i stall factory sequential FI???

How is an AOD as a 4x4 tranny, can it be modified easily to accept a tcase? Is it not worth the effort?

Im thinking of building a good 302 for the Flareside.

Is the factory FI on this vic garbage? Is it a fine system? Can it easily be tuned?

So many questions. But, the EFI system is almost for sure the EEC-IV system, which is speed density. IOW, the computer thinks it knows how much air was just ingested because it knows the RPM and throttle opening. But if you change out the intake, the exhaust, or the cam it won't know.

So, to answer the question about "garbage", the answer is no. It works just fine on a stock setup. But it won't tolerate much modification. And it isn't "easily" tuned. It takes an outboard chip to tune it, but those are available. Bill's the best one to ask about this.

The AOD can in 4x4 trucks, so they are available. And they can be built to be fairly strong. But they were not strong stock.

So many questions. But, the EFI system is almost for sure the EEC-IV system, which is speed density. IOW, the computer thinks it knows how much air was just ingested because it knows the RPM and throttle opening. But if you change out the intake, the exhaust, or the cam it won't know.

So, to answer the question about "garbage", the answer is no. It works just fine on a stock setup. But it won't tolerate much modification. And it isn't "easily" tuned. It takes an outboard chip to tune it, but those are available. Bill's the best one to ask about this.

The AOD can in 4x4 trucks, so they are available. And they can be built to be fairly strong. But they were not strong stock.

I’d use that as my cruise mobile. Congrats! Good find!

Shoot. I popped the hood and saw what basically looks like a mustang setup and my memory must be off. I thought speed density was like 86-88...so what year did the maf systems come in?

Anyway, it should be a roller motor. So, I could take it, do a cam swap, E7 heads from bronco, cheap jegs intake, headers and a 600 edelbrock and have a decent 302 I can quickly throw onto my SROD 4 speed in the flareside.

Then I could do a 300 straight six swap into a crown vic!!! Bwahahahahah!!!!

Shoot. I popped the hood and saw what basically looks like a mustang setup and my memory must be off. I thought speed density was like 86-88...so what year did the maf systems come in?

Anyway, it should be a roller motor. So, I could take it, do a cam swap, E7 heads from bronco, cheap jegs intake, headers and a 600 edelbrock and have a decent 302 I can quickly throw onto my SROD 4 speed in the flareside.

Then I could do a 300 straight six swap into a crown vic!!! Bwahahahahah!!!!

Well, it looks like I'm wrong. I'm finding that on cars the 5.0L got MAF in '88 in CA, and in '89 elsewhere.

But the key is to look to see what you have. Is there a MAF sensor just after the air cleaner?

Well, it looks like I'm wrong. I'm finding that on cars the 5.0L got MAF in '88 in CA, and in '89 elsewhere.

But the key is to look to see what you have. Is there a MAF sensor just after the air cleaner?

Actually, I think the car IS an 88, SD setup. I was just over there trying to get it started. Had 1988 on the plug wires. No MAF.

Actually, I think the car IS an 88, SD setup. I was just over there trying to get it started. Had 1988 on the plug wires. No MAF.

I didnt take a picture, but this is what it looks like under the hood....this is from the web...

978495876.jpg.c0f3941f4dc7cf787ecd398d225ad2e8.jpg