Bullnose Forums

New yet familiar

ClayJ

Good morning gents,

My name is Clay and I live in the Glen Rose,TX area. About a year ago my father in law who lives in East Texas asked for help going through all of his old vehicles and tractors, getting them ready to be sold or put into service elsewhere. While going through all these vehicles of which there are many, I came across a 1981 Ford F150 with a 351M and a very interesting two tone paint scheme. I thought the truck was absolutely cool and immediately grabbed the keys and took it for a test drive. The magnaflow exhaust sounded great and the inside of the truck was extremely clean for a truck of this age. I instantly wanted to make this truck mine however, I had recently purchased a 2019 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost and there was no way my wife would let me buy another truck. Fast forward a year and my situation has changed. We've moved into a new house that's farther away from my work so we decided to ditch the truck payment and get a commuter car. That presented me with another issue, what am I going to do for a truck? I have to have a way to haul and tow things. That's when the 81 F150 came back into my thoughts. So after discussing things with the wife and her Dad I will be the new owner of an awesome Bullnose truck soon. As with most things I wanted to research and learn about the background associated with this truck and low and behold there was pages upon pages of this truck's "restification" on FTE. Well, I've rambled on for too long, I'll attach a picture of the truck and i think a few of you will recognize it's familiar face. I look forward to talking ownership of this awesome machine and taking with all of you. Thanks,

Clay

IMG_20191012_152337.jpg.f4bf964ca12148ece93bfc7238470cbd.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RUSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got goose bumps, literally!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

Welcome, Clay. Boy or boy are you welcome! Glad you joined for lots and lots of reasons. :nabble_anim_handshake:

But first, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you.

As for Rusty, I hope you'll start a thread in the main section and post some pics. And, how did he work out for your FiL? Actually, the driver that picked him up said it was for your MiL.

And, what do you call him?

Welcome, Clay. Boy or boy are you welcome! Glad you joined for lots and lots of reasons. :nabble_anim_handshake:

But first, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you.

As for Rusty, I hope you'll start a thread in the main section and post some pics. And, how did he work out for your FiL? Actually, the driver that picked him up said it was for your MiL.

Hey Gary, I'm glad you responded so quick. I figured that picture would get you excited! First off thank you for doing such a great job with Rusty. Yes, there's not another name that would fit better. My FiL is a bit of a collector rather than an operator so Rusty has sat inside his shop for the past several years not doing much other than taking up space. Once we agreed Rusty would be coming West he decided to have his mechanic go through Rusty to make sure everything was still good to go. Mechanic said there was a ticking noise at idle and his prior experience with older Fords directed him to the flywheel. Was told he removed the transmission to check it out and sure enough the flywheel was cracked and warped. Not sure how common that problem is. Other than that I'm very excited to make Rusty mine and keep everyone updated on his exploits. If you'd like to add me to the map that would be great.

Goose bumps?

You know all birds come home to roost, and Rusty has found his way back to the flock you've gathered 'round you, Gary.

Hey Gary, I'm glad you responded so quick. I figured that picture would get you excited! First off thank you for doing such a great job with Rusty. Yes, there's not another name that would fit better. My FiL is a bit of a collector rather than an operator so Rusty has sat inside his shop for the past several years not doing much other than taking up space. Once we agreed Rusty would be coming West he decided to have his mechanic go through Rusty to make sure everything was still good to go. Mechanic said there was a ticking noise at idle and his prior experience with older Fords directed him to the flywheel. Was told he removed the transmission to check it out and sure enough the flywheel was cracked and warped. Not sure how common that problem is. Other than that I'm very excited to make Rusty mine and keep everyone updated on his exploits. If you'd like to add me to the map that would be great.

Clay - You are now on the map.

As for the flywheel, that's the one that was originally on Dad's truck. In fact, that C6 came from his as well. Anyway, glad the mechanic figured it out and got the flywheel replaced.

That engine is STRONG for a 351M. Probably not as strong as Angelo's, but I was very impressed in comparison to the original one in Dad's truck. Night and day difference.

I'll be anxious to see more pictures of Rusty.

Jim - I'm happy that he's "returned". I spent a LOT of time working on him and had just gotten him pretty much where I wanted him when Big Blue came along. It was obvious I needed to sell him, but it hurt.

Clay - You are now on the map.

As for the flywheel, that's the one that was originally on Dad's truck. In fact, that C6 came from his as well. Anyway, glad the mechanic figured it out and got the flywheel replaced.

That engine is STRONG for a 351M. Probably not as strong as Angelo's, but I was very impressed in comparison to the original one in Dad's truck. Night and day difference.

I'll be anxious to see more pictures of Rusty.

Jim - I'm happy that he's "returned". I spent a LOT of time working on him and had just gotten him pretty much where I wanted him when Big Blue came along. It was obvious I needed to sell him, but it hurt.

Thanks Gary. I'll definitely start a thread for the return of Rusty once I pick him up. Don't worry I'll take lots of pictures.

Thanks Gary. I'll definitely start a thread for the return of Rusty once I pick him up. Don't worry I'll take lots of pictures.

I have assumed you've found his page: Documentation/Picture Gallery/Rusty. But, we can easily add to his story, including the sale and your acquisition of him, new pictures, what he's been doing in the interim, etc.

I have assumed you've found his page: Documentation/Picture Gallery/Rusty. But, we can easily add to his story, including the sale and your acquisition of him, new pictures, what he's been doing in the interim, etc.

Yep I did read through his page. That would be awesome to update and continue adding to the story. I'll go ahead and insert the other few pictures I have of him until I'm able to pick him up.MVIMG_20191012_154453.jpg.ff52194ff7ad8ec9895e032813f2250a.jpgMVIMG_20191012_152423.jpg.8e3c6c7a7f427df97f772b6889fa7f6a.jpgIMG_20191012_154440.jpg.4f10618519d50b9e996336f280b533e1.jpgIMG_20191013_105641.jpg.680a9c812c28429330267872d31f40d6.jpg

Yep I did read through his page. That would be awesome to update and continue adding to the story. I'll go ahead and insert the other few pictures I have of him until I'm able to pick him up.

That's Rusty, for sure! The radiator fan shroud is from Dad's truck, which is supposed to get a NOS one. That one's not perfect, but it is far better than the one that was on Rusty when I got him. The blue carpet came out of an '85 I parted out. The seat is one I bought from another member, and is WAY better than the one that came in him. And on and on.

Yep, he's a red-headed step-child, but he's solid. :nabble_smiley_wink: