Bullnose Forums

Holley 4160 Return Spring

Great photos and a really nice bay!

Just ordered one of them. Hoping it won't hit the coil but for $10 worth a shot.

Also moved the ball down. Even that seemed to add a bit more snap.

Any reason for just using the one spring?

That was when I was installing the engine...it's not quite that clean anymore, but it still looks OK from a few feet back...lol.

One spring seemed like it was more than enough pull for me, so I just didn't bother with the second.

Great photos and a really nice bay!

Just ordered one of them. Hoping it won't hit the coil but for $10 worth a shot.

Also moved the ball down. Even that seemed to add a bit more snap.

Any reason for just using the one spring?

That was when I was installing the engine...it's not quite that clean anymore, but it still looks OK from a few feet back...lol.

One spring seemed like it was more than enough pull for me, so I just didn't bother with the second.

I don't like a heavy pedal

I don't like a heavy pedal

Ya, and I thought mine was heavy enough with the one spring.

Heavy spring, a friend found out the hard way that these needed a heavy spring. With both secondaries open, let off the gas and count 1 2 3 and then it would close. The Holley vacuum secondaries had enough strength at WOT to over power the normal Mustang return spring through the mechanical closing links. Once I installed a stronger spring there was no more problem. FYI, that is two Holley 4160 series 465 cfm carbs for a total of 930 cfm on a .030 over Cobra 289 engine. Picture courtesy of the current owner.

_66_GT350_2050_021.jpg.06bcb65d51b332c6158f753a3e5bee5f.jpg

Heavy spring, a friend found out the hard way that these needed a heavy spring. With both secondaries open, let off the gas and count 1 2 3 and then it would close. The Holley vacuum secondaries had enough strength at WOT to over power the normal Mustang return spring through the mechanical closing links. Once I installed a stronger spring there was no more problem. FYI, that is two Holley 4160 series 465 cfm carbs for a total of 930 cfm on a .030 over Cobra 289 engine. Picture courtesy of the current owner.

I love that air cleaner, Bill!

Holman-Moody make an attractive repo in a few configurations

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I can't swear it will completely solve the issue, but it should help.

I've only driven it once but I thinking moving it solved the issue. Thanks!

The return spring kit came in but will hold off to see if something changes and it is needed.

I've only driven it once but I thinking moving it solved the issue. Thanks!

The return spring kit came in but will hold off to see if something changes and it is needed.

Sounds great! I always made sure when I or any of my mechanics installed an aftermarket carburetor to make sure it got full throttle and would return to idle with no problems.