Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 4x4

gatof16

Hey Gary! Yes Ive only driven it around our square mile hoping it will free itself up. Havent given up on that possibility yet. I would hate to drop $1700 on a rebuild if it's not necessary.

Btw, as I'm searching and reading the forum I see that my 351w EFI and AOD combo probably didn't come with the truck originally. Based on the work I've done on both I can say with 100% certainty they are as stated. And they both seem to run well, just not out of 2nd gear! 😕

Ford didn't put the AOD behind the 351W. My guess is that it wouldn't stand up well to the extra torque of the longer-stroke engine if abused. But if you aren't hard on it I'd think it would work well - once it starts shifting.

By the way, on the C6 when this happens some have suggested a hard romp in reverse. As fast and far as you dare go. It is said that it passes the ATF through the governor the other way and sometimes frees them up. Don't know if it really works on a C6 or if there's any chance it will on an AOD, but I thought I'd mention it.

But, I did use Seafoam successfully on a C6. It had been sitting for years and when I installed it the thing wouldn't shift automatically, but would with the lever. So after many miles of trying to get it to shift, and before I learned about driving in reverse, I stopped at a parts store and bought a bottle of Seafoam. Went out and laid it in the seat, started up, and it shifted perfectly thereafter. :nabble_anim_confused:

Ford didn't put the AOD behind the 351W. My guess is that it wouldn't stand up well to the extra torque of the longer-stroke engine if abused. But if you aren't hard on it I'd think it would work well - once it starts shifting.

By the way, on the C6 when this happens some have suggested a hard romp in reverse. As fast and far as you dare go. It is said that it passes the ATF through the governor the other way and sometimes frees them up. Don't know if it really works on a C6 or if there's any chance it will on an AOD, but I thought I'd mention it.

But, I did use Seafoam successfully on a C6. It had been sitting for years and when I installed it the thing wouldn't shift automatically, but would with the lever. So after many miles of trying to get it to shift, and before I learned about driving in reverse, I stopped at a parts store and bought a bottle of Seafoam. Went out and laid it in the seat, started up, and it shifted perfectly thereafter. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks Gary, I'll give both a shot!

Love that you put a Viper in your Sig, Brad! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

So what's the blue bricknose in the driveway?

It is kind of a project too, just didn't include it in my bullnose stuff. The engine smokes, so its gonna be a big one. I'm rebuilding a 302 right now so I might just swap the engine. Too many projects!

It is kind of a project too, just didn't include it in my bullnose stuff. The engine smokes, so its gonna be a big one. I'm rebuilding a 302 right now so I might just swap the engine. Too many projects!

Here I was hoping it was a 1988 Lockheed Martin.. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Some of us don't have any Bullnose.

I guess we just have to live vicariously.

• 9 months later...