Bullnose Forums

C6 plumbing

I know when I bought hose a few years ago one of the hoses was rated for transmission coolers. Is your braided hose rated for that?

I haven't bought any line yet for transmission fluid. I have all my fuel stuff, but finding braided hoses for trans line specific is a bit tough. From my research it seems to be compatible with most fluids regardless of what they are vs standard rubber hose where it is specific. I'm sure that has something to do with why the cost is so high for hose.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't bought any line yet for transmission fluid. I have all my fuel stuff, but finding braided hoses for trans line specific is a bit tough. From my research it seems to be compatible with most fluids regardless of what they are vs standard rubber hose where it is specific. I'm sure that has something to do with why the cost is so high for hose.

PTFE is one of the more inert things man has made (yet).

But it does have heat limitations. Probably not transmission fluid hot, but definitely frying pan hot.

Ok, was just making sure. Wouldn't want you to have a problem. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's the last thing I want.

According to Summit, their brand stainless braided hose is compatible with just about everything. Looking like I'm going to have to spend some time this week figuring out trans plumbing! There's always something I'm forgetting...

Ok, was just making sure. Wouldn't want you to have a problem. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's the last thing I want.

According to Summit, their brand stainless braided hose is compatible with just about everything. Looking like I'm going to have to spend some time this week figuring out trans plumbing! There's always something I'm forgetting...

Seems like that's the right stuff to use.

What filter are you going to use? Are you going to place it where it can easily be replaced?

Seems like that's the right stuff to use.

What filter are you going to use? Are you going to place it where it can easily be replaced?

I bought a Derale filter system a while back the utilizes a screw on style general oil filter. I'll be using a FL1A filter as that filter is compatible with motor oil and automatic transmission fluid.

It's a pretty basic setup that has a 3 bolt 90 degree flange for a screw on style filter, and the center threaded stud comes in multiple changeable sizes with numerous size NPT fittings that thread into the top of the house, though the fittings that came with it are nylon, so I will be changing those.

I was thinking about mounting it on the outside of the passenger side frame rail, but cant decide if I want the lines to run up and over the top of the rail or underneath it.

My problem with putting it there is I worry about stone punctures from the front tire, so I will probably fab up some kind of shield.

I bought a Derale filter system a while back the utilizes a screw on style general oil filter. I'll be using a FL1A filter as that filter is compatible with motor oil and automatic transmission fluid.

It's a pretty basic setup that has a 3 bolt 90 degree flange for a screw on style filter, and the center threaded stud comes in multiple changeable sizes with numerous size NPT fittings that thread into the top of the house, though the fittings that came with it are nylon, so I will be changing those.

I was thinking about mounting it on the outside of the passenger side frame rail, but cant decide if I want the lines to run up and over the top of the rail or underneath it.

My problem with putting it there is I worry about stone punctures from the front tire, so I will probably fab up some kind of shield.

That's quite a filter. Should help the tranny's life, but you do need to protect it, so the shield sounds like a good idea.

That's quite a filter. Should help the tranny's life, but you do need to protect it, so the shield sounds like a good idea.

I think I'm going to use a piece of aluminum diamond plate, and bolt it to the under side of the frame. Did it once a while back with dads truck for this old fuel pump setup. I'd rather not puncture a hole in the filter.

I do wish I owned my own 2 post lift. I can use the lifts a work, but with everything going on right they don't want anyone in there.

If I could figure out a place to put it under the hood and make it look clean I would, but I think the frame will be ok. Although the firewall is an option.

I think I'm going to use a piece of aluminum diamond plate, and bolt it to the under side of the frame. Did it once a while back with dads truck for this old fuel pump setup. I'd rather not puncture a hole in the filter.

I do wish I owned my own 2 post lift. I can use the lifts a work, but with everything going on right they don't want anyone in there.

If I could figure out a place to put it under the hood and make it look clean I would, but I think the frame will be ok. Although the firewall is an option.

Thanks Gary for getting those measurements.

Have a photo of the filter unit?

How low will the filter be hanging down if you bolt the plate to the frame? If you mock it up, take a photo for us.

Thanks Gary for getting those measurements.

Have a photo of the filter unit?

How low will the filter be hanging down if you bolt the plate to the frame? If you mock it up, take a photo for us.

This is the filter unit.

der-15708_xl.jpg.335c7da850cab756c6a28dbb1472f8d4.jpg

I won't be using those screws; I'll be opting for stainless grade 8 bolts if I bolt it to the frame, or something less if I put it under the hood. The filter screw stud is pretty standard 3/4-16 thread so most oil filters are compatible. It's pretty basic and easy to add in to any transmission system. Also, the whole housing is cast aluminum, so it doesn't weigh much. The inlet and outlet ports are 1/2 NPT.

If I mount it on the frame the idea will be to put it up as high on the frame as I can so I have room to spin it off without removing the shield; I have thought of making a bit of a "quick remove" shield, where instead of using 2 nuts and bolts to fasten it, I would use a bolt through the bottom of the frame with a lock washer and a wing nut so I can easy remove it when changing the filter and not make a mess everywhere.

It would be setup something similar to this; this is what we did on Dad's when we were still running the Holley fuel pump. I do think I will make the angled section probably more vertical/box shaped since the filter system is larger than that fuel pump.

fb_img_1461541850652_b44a102844418c4dde5be69d0ba35f0a2d49c8da.thumb.jpg.7ff44186e329c7cd635cc8e9d1fb413a.jpg

The other thing I'm concerned with is hose/line routing. If I go outside the frame, then I have to find away around the exhaust and frame, whereas if I go to the firewall it goes straight up front. Another spot I have thought about is up by the cooler in front of the core support, but I'm not really a fan of it being there; difficult to get to and vulnerable.