Bullnose Forums

C6 plumbing

Really interesting answers.

I'd thought Mark Kovalsky's answer to this question was cooler first, then radiator because the tranny needed consistent fluid temp in order for peak performance.

(Mark is -was- a second generation transmission engineer first at Roush, then at Ford, during and through the Bullnose era)

Not that I'm a fan of slush boxes, but the C6 is hella stout, and there are times I wished I had one.

Like sitting in traffic or plowing.

I'd forgotten about Mark's comment. Good point.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd thought Mark Kovalsky's answer to this question was cooler first, then radiator because the tranny needed consistent fluid temp in order for peak performance.

(Mark is -was- a second generation transmission engineer first at Roush, then at Ford, during and through the Bullnose era)

Not that I'm a fan of slush boxes, but the C6 is hella stout, and there are times I wished I had one.

That makes more sense to me than plumbing to the radiator first. Anyone have a chance to get thread pitches yet? I need to get me a tool with a bunch of those bad boys to make that stuff easier.

That makes more sense to me than plumbing to the radiator first. Anyone have a chance to get thread pitches yet? I need to get me a tool with a bunch of those bad boys to make that stuff easier.

Sorry, actually moved those lines around today during some cleaning but forgot. Will try to tomorrow.

Anyone have a chance to get thread pitches yet? I need to get me a tool with a bunch of those bad boys to make that stuff easier.

Oops. I thought Bill had answered that and so I didn't look. But will in a bit - after a couple of cups of java and some cereal. Sorry.

Scott - I can easily do it w/o any leaks or drips. Let me.

Anyone have a chance to get thread pitches yet? I need to get me a tool with a bunch of those bad boys to make that stuff easier.

Oops. I thought Bill had answered that and so I didn't look. But will in a bit - after a couple of cups of java and some cereal. Sorry.

Scott - I can easily do it w/o any leaks or drips. Let me.

Ok, I just checked. This site says that the measurements on the first line are for 1/2-20 flares. And the measurements on the second line, in bold, are what I found on my C6 and cooling tubes.

MALE THREAD

OD & PITCH DASH SIZE MALE THREAD OD FEMALE THREAD ID TUBE SIZE

1/2 – 20 -08 12,7 0.50 11,4 0.44 5/16

My measurements 0.495 0.453 5/16

Ok, I just checked. This site says that the measurements on the first line are for 1/2-20 flares. And the measurements on the second line, in bold, are what I found on my C6 and cooling tubes.

MALE THREAD

Interesting Gary. Those thread ID's make me wonder if they changed much through the years. This particular transmission is a 1976 model.

Looks like I will have to get some 1/2x20 NPT inverted flare to -6an hose adapters and upside the hose from 5/16 to 3/8. Trick will be finding an adapter with an O ring. Any downside to running the whole system as hose vs hardline? I'm still trying to figure out exactly where I want to mount the external filter.

MALE THREAD

Interesting Gary. Those thread ID's make me wonder if they changed much through the years. This particular transmission is a 1976 model.

Looks like I will have to get some 1/2x20 NPT inverted flare to -6an hose adapters and upside the hose from 5/16 to 3/8. Trick will be finding an adapter with an O ring. Any downside to running the whole system as hose vs hardline? I'm still trying to figure out exactly where I want to mount the external filter.

This transmission is from an '85. But I doubt things changed much over the years.

As for hose vs hard line, the hard line will help a bit with cooling, but otherwise I see no downside to using the proper hose, meaning one rated for that fluid and those temps.

This transmission is from an '85. But I doubt things changed much over the years.

As for hose vs hard line, the hard line will help a bit with cooling, but otherwise I see no downside to using the proper hose, meaning one rated for that fluid and those temps.

I'm using all stainless braided hose on everything that has fluids running through it.

I'm using all stainless braided hose on everything that has fluids running through it.

I know when I bought hose a few years ago one of the hoses was rated for transmission coolers. Is your braided hose rated for that?