Bullnose Forums

C6 plumbing

So I'm going through my C6. A friend of mine is hooking me up with a brand new B&M deep pan, and I've already got a B&M super cooler and external transmission filter and I have a few questions.

1. It's been a while since I've torn one of these apart, but I do believe the front line by the bellhousing is the fluid-out line, and the rear line by the tail shaft is the return, correct?

2. Does anyone know off hand what both line input sizes are, into the trans. I believe the stock lines are 5/16 diameter. I need thread/fitting information, flare type, O ring etc, without actually getting out and yanking them. I plan on converting these in/outputs to AN fittings, as with the rest of the lines.

3. Is there any benefit to bypassing the factory radiator cooler, and plumbing the trans directly to the cooler (filter will be in-line). I know the factory cooler in the radiator heats the transmission up quite a bit and ideally they say 170 degrees is the best operating temp for them. Should I bypass it, or run it tandem with the Super Cooler?

For example, the path would be:

[Trans->inline filter->cooler->back to trans]

vs

[Trans->inline filter->to cooler->cooler to radiator->radiator back to trans]

I feel like not bypassing it would be counter productive and the Super Cooler would be a waste.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the sizes but can probably get them for you tomorrow as I have a C6 I can measure if no one else knows the sizes. But I don't know which is out and which is in.

As for the cooler in the radiator, it must do something or Ford wouldn't have put it on there. So I'd put my extra cooler after the radiator cooler. Knock the temp down a bit with the one in the radiator and then more with the extra one.

I don't know the sizes but can probably get them for you tomorrow as I have a C6 I can measure if no one else knows the sizes. But I don't know which is out and which is in.

As for the cooler in the radiator, it must do something or Ford wouldn't have put it on there. So I'd put my extra cooler after the radiator cooler. Knock the temp down a bit with the one in the radiator and then more with the extra one.

I have a few C6's kicking around but all in different locations. I am currently without a driving vehicle so getting to them is tough. If you could do that for me it would be much appreciated. I can get my radiator measurements later but I believe those are 1/2x20 inverted flare.

That's also what I was thinking, on my daily I had it setup like the second option.

I have a few C6's kicking around but all in different locations. I am currently without a driving vehicle so getting to them is tough. If you could do that for me it would be much appreciated. I can get my radiator measurements later but I believe those are 1/2x20 inverted flare.

That's also what I was thinking, on my daily I had it setup like the second option.

I've asked Siri to remind me to get the dimensions at 10 in the morning.

1. Correct

2. If Gary can't get them I have the 4 factory lines (factory aux cooler) that I could get measurements from. I swapped them for stainless.

3. I would keep both coolers connected also. I think it would take a lot to get a c6 too cool.

Report back on how that pan works out. I have the tci on mine but have a b&m on the shelf. I've read about some having issues with the drain being right above the crossmember but I don't recall with what pan that was.

The C6 uses 5/16" lines with inverted flare fittings, flow is out the front line to the cooler then back in the rear for lubrication. Recommended flow for two coolers is transmission to radiator to air cooler then back to the transmission. Darth was set up that way from the factory.

1. Correct

2. If Gary can't get them I have the 4 factory lines (factory aux cooler) that I could get measurements from. I swapped them for stainless.

3. I would keep both coolers connected also. I think it would take a lot to get a c6 too cool.

Report back on how that pan works out. I have the tci on mine but have a b&m on the shelf. I've read about some having issues with the drain being right above the crossmember but I don't recall with what pan that was.

Yes I would be interested in knowing just so I can figure out what I need for AN adapters.

The C6 uses 5/16" lines with inverted flare fittings, flow is out the front line to the cooler then back in the rear for lubrication. Recommended flow for two coolers is transmission to radiator to air cooler then back to the transmission. Darth was set up that way from the factory.

I thought they were 5/16. Thanks. I'll just have to get adapters to upsize from -5an to -6an for my external filter.

1. Correct

Yes I would be interested in knowing just so I can figure out what I need for AN adapters.

I thought they were 5/16. Thanks. I'll just have to get adapters to upsize from -5an to -6an for my external filter.

My Bronco also has a factory installed trans cooler and it is plumbed trans to raidaitor, then to the cooler and back to the trans

Really interesting answers.

I'd thought Mark Kovalsky's answer to this question was cooler first, then radiator because the tranny needed consistent fluid temp in order for peak performance.

(Mark is -was- a second generation transmission engineer first at Roush, then at Ford, during and through the Bullnose era)

Not that I'm a fan of slush boxes, but the C6 is hella stout, and there are times I wished I had one.

Like sitting in traffic or plowing.