Bullnose Forums

Installing cruise control on aftermarket steering wheel

Assuming the question is for the nut holding the steering wheel on (not the nut holding the steering wheel :nabble_smiley_evil:), according to our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns it is 30 - 42 lb-ft.

I knew I should have looked first...

No prob. I know where things are and that makes it easier for me.

As said nicely done.

Got a question or 3.

I take it you started with a CC truck that worked?

That the replacement column has to be for CC also?

I think I have seen a post or 2 on CC but did not pay that much to them as my truck dose not have CC and the after market looked to rich for my blood at this time.

But you never know what you may come up with in your travels and want to know what to look out for :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

As said nicely done.

Got a question or 3.

I take it you started with a CC truck that worked?

That the replacement column has to be for CC also?

I think I have seen a post or 2 on CC but did not pay that much to them as my truck dose not have CC and the after market looked to rich for my blood at this time.

But you never know what you may come up with in your travels and want to know what to look out for :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

My truck already had cruise control installed from the factory, so I know I had the parts that were in working order. Adding a wheel and column from a cruise truck will not give your truck cruise control if it wasn't originally equipped, obviously, since there are many more parts involved in that system.

The steering column is a little trickier and I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer, but I will tell you what I know. The tilt column that I bought was already off the truck, so I don't know what options the donor had.

When I bought the column, the turn signal switch had a busted piece of plastic that controlled the turn signal cancellation. Instead of just replacing that small piece of plastic with a cheap and fragile aftermarket part, I bought a used but good condition turn signal switch like this:

TS_Switch.thumb.jpeg.6dafcdc7dfa021381a86667bf5c652d6.jpeg

As you can see, the "pins" for the horn and speed control are a part of that switch. As far as I know there are only two types of switches, one for tilt and one for fixed columns. I have never seen a part number mentioned outside of those 2, so I have to assume that was the only way they came.

Seems like if you wanted to verify that, the easiest way is to take the steering column cover off and look at the connection from the turn signal controller. You should see a yellow wire (maybe yellow with a blue stripe) and a blue wire. Then you'll know the pins are there.

Hi Dave,

My truck already had cruise control installed from the factory, so I know I had the parts that were in working order. Adding a wheel and column from a cruise truck will not give your truck cruise control if it wasn't originally equipped, obviously, since there are many more parts involved in that system.

The steering column is a little trickier and I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer, but I will tell you what I know. The tilt column that I bought was already off the truck, so I don't know what options the donor had.

When I bought the column, the turn signal switch had a busted piece of plastic that controlled the turn signal cancellation. Instead of just replacing that small piece of plastic with a cheap and fragile aftermarket part, I bought a used but good condition turn signal switch like this:

As you can see, the "pins" for the horn and speed control are a part of that switch. As far as I know there are only two types of switches, one for tilt and one for fixed columns. I have never seen a part number mentioned outside of those 2, so I have to assume that was the only way they came.

Seems like if you wanted to verify that, the easiest way is to take the steering column cover off and look at the connection from the turn signal controller. You should see a yellow wire (maybe yellow with a blue stripe) and a blue wire. Then you'll know the pins are there.

Chad, thanks for the information.

I know there are other "under hood parts" that make up the CC system.

I was more asking about the column and wiring.

Is there a CC harness that would be part of this "under hood parts" as there is a tie in to the brake switch and a clutch switch.

I have a non-CC column that I can check if the signal switch is set up with the 2 contacts.

Thanks again

Dave ----

Chad, thanks for the information.

I know there are other "under hood parts" that make up the CC system.

I was more asking about the column and wiring.

Is there a CC harness that would be part of this "under hood parts" as there is a tie in to the brake switch and a clutch switch.

I have a non-CC column that I can check if the signal switch is set up with the 2 contacts.

Thanks again

Dave ----

There is a multiconductor "jumper" that is necessary for adding speed control. It plugs into the two halves of C305 and pulls out the power and horn pad signals for the horn relay and the speed control.

You can see it in the illustration below. The connector labeled C305 is the one from the truck's harness. The connector labeled C305A is the female connector for the jumper, and the connector it is plugged into is the other half of C305 going to the turn signal switch and then to the horn pad via the brushes.

page-139.thumb.jpg.b10dc0d48fad603d30f6dc805bfba6c0.jpg

There is a multiconductor "jumper" that is necessary for adding speed control. It plugs into the two halves of C305 and pulls out the power and horn pad signals for the horn relay and the speed control.

You can see it in the illustration below. The connector labeled C305 is the one from the truck's harness. The connector labeled C305A is the female connector for the jumper, and the connector it is plugged into is the other half of C305 going to the turn signal switch and then to the horn pad via the brushes.

Thanks Gary.

It looks like it kind of works like the factory AC add on harness does.

So the CC amp has a lot of wires to it and you just plug this box in between the turn signal switch plug and run the rest of the wires, if any, to where they need to go.

Great something else I need to look out for when I hit the junk yard for the needed AC parts.

On that note what years work with an 81 truck?

Dave ----

Dave ----

Well, that's a very good question. And the answer is, I don't know. But all Bullnose speed control C305A harnii can be made to work.

The issue is the position of the power feed to the speed control amp. It changed somewhere between 1982 and 1985 as I'm using an '82 speed control harness in Big Blue and found the change. It is discussed in detail in this thread and following.

But that can easily be fixed by removing the red retainer from C305A and swapping pins.

Dave ----

Well, that's a very good question. And the answer is, I don't know. But all Bullnose speed control C305A harnii can be made to work.

The issue is the position of the power feed to the speed control amp. It changed somewhere between 1982 and 1985 as I'm using an '82 speed control harness in Big Blue and found the change. It is discussed in detail in this thread and following.

But that can easily be fixed by removing the red retainer from C305A and swapping pins.

Ok got it, so need to check the pin outs between the truck & the CC plugs to make sure they match up.

Thanks

Dave ----