Bullnose Forums

"The Great Unscrewing"

Hi guys! My name is Gid, I'm just shy of 21, and live in Chicago. I've had a lust for Bullnoses ever since I was 14 and made the decision to buy a 85' 2ED EFI 302W last year. Unfortunately for me, I should have done my homework more. I'm a big rail buff, and volunteer at my rail museum fixing and repairing railcars, but this is the first time I've ever had to get physical with a car. Alot has been learned, but there is still much more to go.

I can't believe this thing runs, which makes me happy, but she has alot of work to do until I can get her on the road again. I'm begging for your help to untangle this mess so I can finally get on the road with my Bull!

66725152_2418282928497338_407441969455824896_o.thumb.jpg.a60d7d1895f1a62a18afe7f91e624846.jpg

Here are some of the issues I have with her, I can't tell if they are all connected or just multiple things failing at once

1. runs incredibly rich

(I think this may be due to a improper cat delete the last owner tried, I have no cat converter, but I can't seem to find where the O2/Air Fuel Ratio sensor is)

I'm thinking if I put the O2 back on for now, maybe the computer will readjust the readings so it will run leaner again, I also know that some stuff can be done with the computer, but I have no idea how.

2. bad shorts at the TAB/TAD solenoids. For some reason, they were very rusted and shorting at the connection points, the engine did NOT like this. I'm having a hard time finding new TAB/TAD solenoids, so I'm wondering what I can do to get it on the road temporarily.

3. locked brakes/wheel bearings. Both front bearings are shot. I'm in the process of replacing them now, it seems fairly straight forward, so I don't need much in the way of advice now.

4. she LOVES to slip and slide at the slightest touch of the pedal, I can't tell if this is due to the mixture errors or just me having to get used to a old girl!

Your advice is invaluable!!!

Thank you so much!

Welcome Gid! :nabble_waving_orig:

I'd imagine your truck is in limp home mode If the O2 delete doesn't include some way to trick the ECM.

The solenoid shouldn't be impossible to find. You may find they're expensive though.

Does your truck have a rear locker?

Jack it up and spin one wheel by hand.

Does the other side go the same direction, or opposite?

If you're a rail fan, do you know anything of the Youngstown Heritage museum?

They're doing great work at keeping stock alive, and sharing with the public.

Welcome, Gid! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Is it really Chicago? I ask because I used to live in Elgin and when people asked I'd say Chicago 'cause they wouldn't know Elgin but would Chicago.

And, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I knew the town.

So, pizza? Lou's?????? :nabble_smiley_happy:

Rail? My father and brother were both hog heads (locomotive engineers to the rest of you), but I was a brakeman during my 16 months while I went to school. The Santa Fe, prior to BNSF, out of Arkansas City, KS going south.

On the truck, it sounds like you have several problems. I'll sit back and read the mail while Jim helps you 'cause it can get confusing with several jumping in at once.

O2 sensor for the 1985-86 302s is in the rear of the right exhaust manifold. If the manifold was changed, the replacement may not have had a place for it.

Two options if this is the case, get a correct manifold (may be a problem) or have an exhaust shop put a bung in the exhaust pipe. On that location you will need to probably use a heated O2 sensor for it to work properly.

Nice looking truck!

Is it really Chicago? I ask because I used to live in Elgin and when people asked I'd say Chicago 'cause they wouldn't know Elgin but would Chicago.

And, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I knew the town.

Rail? My father and brother were both hog heads (locomotive engineers to the rest of you), but I was a brakeman during my 16 months while I went to school. The Santa Fe, prior to BNSF, out of Arkansas City, KS going south.

On the truck, it sounds like you have several problems. I'll sit back and read the mail while Jim helps you 'cause it can get confusing with several jumping in at once.

I'm afraid I can't offer much expertise with the TAB and TAD solenoid.

I've seen them and understand the function, but I've never really had to troubleshoot them.

Seems like replacement is in order, anyhow....

Maybe their Motorcraft numbers would turn something up.

Time to call in David, with his uncanny eBay sleuthing abilities

I'd imagine your truck is in limp home mode If the O2 delete doesn't include some way to trick the ECM.

The solenoid shouldn't be impossible to find. You may find they're expensive though.

No sir, my truck is base package, all my bearing issues have been primary up front though.

Yea, I love the Youngstown Steel! I enjoyed my time there, especially being from NWI, where we have mills!

Guilty as charged! I'm actually in Northwest Indiana!!!! I had some kinda of fickle feeling too I would find rail guys here!! Must be some of that good Bullnose tastes! :P

I'm actually not a big fan of deep dish! Give me pub style thin-crust any day!!

O2 sensor for the 1985-86 302s is in the rear of the right exhaust manifold. If the manifold was changed, the replacement may not have had a place for it.

Two options if this is the case, get a correct manifold (may be a problem) or have an exhaust shop put a bung in the exhaust pipe. On that location you will need to probably use a heated O2 sensor for it to work properly.

Nice looking truck!

I'll take a look in the morning if it's there. The manifold I am almost certain is original, so I'll cross my fingers and hope it's there! And thank you for the complement!! She sure shines, it's been the reason I haven't given up on her!

I'm afraid I can't offer much expertise with the TAB and TAD solenoid.

I've seen them and understand the function, but I've never really had to troubleshoot them.

Seems like replacement is in order, anyhow....

Maybe their Motorcraft numbers would turn something up.

Time to call in David, with his uncanny eBay sleuthing abilities

I was able to get the pull the numbers on other solenoid on the same bracket, but the TAD/TAB's just seem so oddball. I was wondering if I could slam jam a Mustang one into it, but I just have a weird feeling about it.

86726351_2618327781826184_9213770491435679744_o.thumb.jpg.e431eb26d88853d7057534eec468c131.jpg