Bullnose Forums

460 Valve Cover Recommendations/Photos

Will keep an eye out for those OKC ones. The Blue Thunder look really nice but probably a little hard to justify on this motor :nabble_smiley_beam:

I think you are confused. The ones I mentioned are OMC ones. Outboard Marine Corp. But if you want OKC ones they'll just be Thunder, not Blue Thunder. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Haha I think I am.

Do you have a link for just the Thunder ones?

You can buy aftermarket covers with the twist lock style breather, or you just buy another breather (unless yours is a factory one). I like the plain chrome style personally.

I think the torque spec was something like 15-20 in/lbs but I'd have to check my Haynes book. It wasn't very much, I just snugged mine with a 1/4" ratchet and called it a day after checking for leaks.

I would go with rubber with the steel liner, use high tack on that too.

Those bars used to be a hot seller for warped covers as it would draw them straight again. Personally, they bug me the way they look.

I agree the spreader bars don't look good but till I get nicer than stock covers they do the trick. Nothing good looking about a giant cloud of smoke every time you make a turn and dump oil on your manifold:nabble_smiley_happy:

Do you have a link for just the Thunder ones?

I'm having a hard time finding those. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I use these gaskets, from Real Gaskets in Tennessee.

You don't use any dressing, just wipe down the mating surfaces with acetone or brake clean.

If I were to go back to cork, or the Fel-Pro rubber gaskets I used to use, I'd glue them to the covers and maybe use a smear of Hylomar on the face of the head.

I use these gaskets, from Real Gaskets in Tennessee.

You don't use any dressing, just wipe down the mating surfaces with acetone or brake clean.

If I were to go back to cork, or the Fel-Pro rubber gaskets I used to use, I'd glue them to the covers and maybe use a smear of Hylomar on the face of the head.

Just wanted to add, the OMC pn is 0912875.

They weren't very expensive back in the day.

Just wanted to add, the OMC pn is 0912875.

They weren't very expensive back in the day.

Thanks Jim.

Just placed an order for those gaskets.

Will keep an eye out for those valve covers. I want to stick with the stock design but would like to get away from the steel. Found a set of QFT black ones I like the look of but since I am using that hole behind the drivers side valve cover to run all my add-on wiring (and there is a lot of it) I am afraid the tall ones might crowd that area.