Bullnose Forums

Misfire, wont smog test. Need some advice

Ok, first firing order is 15426378 with 1-4 on the right (passenger) side, 5-8 left (driver) side, Ford manuals say wire sequence on left should be 5768 to prevent cross firing. If you want to see if the wires are questionable, open the hood in the dark, if you lots of sparks then they are bad. Old rule I used in my shop was if the date code is over 3 years (it will or used to be 1Q-19 which would be 1st quarter of 2019). If they are older than 1Q-17 replace them. If you can get some good insulated plug wire puller pliers, take them off the plug, but keep the end near the head or manifold and see (a) if you have a good spark and (b) if it makes any difference in the running.

One item, you didn't by chance wash the engine did you?

I have not washed it, but then again i did just buy it in November so maybe some did? It was as dirty as it is now when i bought it. I checked the order and it appears to 15426378 so that is good (going off the wires and counterclockwise from the #1 position on the distributor). the driver side firing order is wired 5678 should i switch the 6 and the 7 then could this be the issue? Had to take off and wont be able to test this till tomorrow or Sunday.

Just re-reading this post.

So, no personal history with the truck.

Did you say how many miles are on it?

No, just bought it about 6 mo this ago. Odo says 80k but probably 180, interior is in great original shape so I dont think it's more than 180

No, just bought it about 6 mo this ago. Odo says 80k but probably 180, interior is in great original shape so I dont think it's more than 180

Certainly is a really cherry looking truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

The previous owner must have kept up on maintenance.

Still not a bad idea to see if there's a bunch of slop in the chain.

These trucks came with a nylon cam gear that wears right out.

That's why I always recommend a double roller, steel gear timing set from a later EFI 460 as replacement.

Cloyes makes one you can get from Amazon for under $50

Ok, in addition to checking the timing chain as Jim suggested, pull the plugs out, see what brand/heat range they are and line them up in order and take pictures of them so those of us who know how can "read them".

Ok, in addition to checking the timing chain as Jim suggested, pull the plugs out, see what brand/heat range they are and line them up in order and take pictures of them so those of us who know how can "read them".

Okay thanks all, really appreciate all your common sense help thus far. I went to a bullnose facebook group and wasnt getting anywhere. I'm going to take a break from this thing for Easter but I will get back to it on monday to try these suggestions and post my findings.

Okay thanks all, really appreciate all your common sense help thus far. I went to a bullnose facebook group and wasnt getting anywhere. I'm going to take a break from this thing for Easter but I will get back to it on monday to try these suggestions and post my findings.

I posted a picture of my spark plugs a few weeks back.

They seemed about perfect (to me) even though my truck smells rich at idle.

Okay Monday Update: I am getting back to working on this today. I pulled the distributor cap and turned the crank clockwise then back counterclockwise. The rotor turned instantly when turning back counterclockwise so there doesn't appear to be any timing chain slack as far as I can tell.

I pulled all the plugs and took a few pics. Let me know what you think? Are these okay to put back in or should I get new ones?

20200413_141147.thumb.jpg.456cd8a191b0798ee9cdf0f36252eb9b.jpg

20200413_141214.thumb.jpg.bcb1a3b92ea5e900708c10670ad294f3.jpg

20200413_141223.thumb.jpg.2f527af1a330eaf62dc2f525ad3b2e23.jpg

20200413_141235.thumb.jpg.4bb66c4baf3f2b2b83759ecaa3e2b01c.jpg

Okay Monday Update: I am getting back to working on this today. I pulled the distributor cap and turned the crank clockwise then back counterclockwise. The rotor turned instantly when turning back counterclockwise so there doesn't appear to be any timing chain slack as far as I can tell.

I pulled all the plugs and took a few pics. Let me know what you think? Are these okay to put back in or should I get new ones?

5&6 look ok.

What's up with #2?

With that much carbon on the insulator I don't know how it could NOT be tracking...

I won't use Autolite plugs any more.

NGK UR4/6630 is my choice now.

5&6 look ok.

What's up with #2?

With that much carbon on the insulator I don't know how it could NOT be tracking...

Okay got it. Im going to go pick up a new set and just replace them all. Time to get gapping. Will post results once finished.

5&6 look ok.

What's up with #2?

Okay got it. Im going to go pick up a new set and just replace them all. Time to get gapping. Will post results once finished.

I've never (in 40 years) had an NGK that wasn't in spec.

.042-.046 is the spec for DuraSpark.

Mine are always .044-.045