Bullnose Forums

New member from South Carolina

Jamie80

Thanks for the add guys. Recently purchased a 1983 F150 XL. Looking for ideas and any help that can be offered. I will have to do some engine work to it (it runs and drives) but there is one cylinder that is not firing. Also need to replace the instrument cluster since only the speedometer works. I look forward to seeing everyone's trucks and ideas.

Welcome Jamie! :nabble_waving_orig:

Your speedometer is mechanical, the other instruments are electrical.

Do the instrument lights work?

I'm suspecting a bad ground, as not everything is driven by the instrument cluster voltage regulator.

But the ICVR can be problematic, and we have a solid state solution for that.

You might check out the documentation for an Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual applicable to your truck.

It's a great way to better understand what's going on, or has gone wrong, with your truck.

I'm suspecting a bad ground, as not everything is driven by the instrument cluster voltage regulator.

You might check out the documentation for an Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual applicable to your truck.

It's a great way to better understand what's going on, or has gone wrong, with your truck.

Welcome!

Yes, welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

What part of SC? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd add you if I had a city.

Jim is right, the gauges are electrical. But there are two versions - those with idiot lights for the oil pressure and ammeter, and those with true gauges. Which do you have?

What part of SC? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd add you if I had a city.

Jim is right, the gauges are electrical. But there are two versions - those with idiot lights for the oil pressure and ammeter, and those with true gauges. Which do you have?

Welcome, Jamie80! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I'm from Surfside Beach. Not sure which set of gauges I have. I will dig deeper into it.

The dash lights up but the fuel, oil, temp, and voltage gauges don't work.

The dash lights up but the fuel, oil, temp, and voltage gauges don't work.

You now on the map. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the gauges you might read this: Documentation/Electrical/ICVR. If that thing fails none of those three gauges work. But the page here gives some troubleshooting tips: Documentation/Electrical/Gauges.

You now on the map. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the gauges you might read this: Documentation/Electrical/ICVR. If that thing fails none of those three gauges work. But the page here gives some troubleshooting tips: Documentation/Electrical/Gauges.

*Update*

So i went to my local pick n pull and found a 1982 F 150. I was able to pull the instrument cluster from it and install it in my 83 150. Gas gauge and oil temp needles actually moved, although I'm not sure how accurate the gas gauge is, but nothing lights up on the cluster now. I'm assuming this dash cluster was semi bad as well.