Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan - You are right, it was comparing the 208 to the 1356. I didn't know the 1345 and 1356 were so similar. So, that makes the decision easier.

What I'd like to do is to install the t-case while the cab is in the air as I'm pretty sure I can manhandle it into place w/o having to use the tranny jack. That'll make it much easier as getting a t-case on the tranny jack at the right angle isn't the easiest thing to do, and it is even harder to do if you are trying hard not to scratch the paint. And, playing with the linkage will be much easier with the cab in the air.

Plus, I can test-fit the driveshafts and, assuming they fit as they surely will, then I can refurb them and install them.

Sounds like a plan! :nabble_smiley_good:

That would be the easiest route, for sure... to put everything in with the cab off. However, I will say that there is an easy way to install a 1345 without a jack. Place a piece of 2x4 wooden block on the ground under the transmission output shaft. Position the transfer case such that you can rotate it onto the block with the input shaft up and the case straight up and down. You may need a little more or less wood block depending on your tire height, but for me the 2x4 put the input and output shafts pretty darn close to even. I was able to wiggle it onto the splines, rotate it until the locator pin lined up and done. Very little muscling or physical effort. It almost seemed too easy after fighting with it on a floor jack and having it twist and slip and fall off over and over as I tried to engage the splines. You may not need it, but in case you do it was sure a snap compared to trying to balance it on a jack.

I'll probably then install the 1356 on Dad's truck as the engine and tranny go in, and sort out the linkage issue later. I already know one way to make an adjustable linkage.

Gary, if for some reason the Bullnose shifter gives you issues, keep in mind that 1987 Broncos and F-Series trucks still used a top mount shifter rather than the side mount that came in 1988. Unfortunately I can't find any of my pictures online from when I had this exact shifter setup (that I no longer have :nabble_smiley_unhappy:) , however I remember that it was from a BW transfer case and had a shifter cage similar to the Ranger/Bronco II that mounted very close to the transfer case adapter and the shift lever itself was bolted to the shifter stub. Obviously a hard to find option, but maybe it is an option that somebody can find for you if the right people are looking. Maybe I can pull up my old pictures from the F150 and find the photos I took on my C6 with the 1987 automatic adapter.

**EDIT** Couldn't find any pictures of the shift linkage, I may not have taken it even though I had the lever, and here is the picture I have of that.

GEDC5471.jpg.ef0ee0cee830efc3686304471a3b67fe.jpg

I'll probably then install the 1356 on Dad's truck as the engine and tranny go in, and sort out the linkage issue later. I already know one way to make an adjustable linkage.

Gary, if for some reason the Bullnose shifter gives you issues, keep in mind that 1987 Broncos and F-Series trucks still used a top mount shifter rather than the side mount that came in 1988. Unfortunately I can't find any of my pictures online from when I had this exact shifter setup (that I no longer have :nabble_smiley_unhappy:) , however I remember that it was from a BW transfer case and had a shifter cage similar to the Ranger/Bronco II that mounted very close to the transfer case adapter and the shift lever itself was bolted to the shifter stub. Obviously a hard to find option, but maybe it is an option that somebody can find for you if the right people are looking. Maybe I can pull up my old pictures from the F150 and find the photos I took on my C6 with the 1987 automatic adapter.

**EDIT** Couldn't find any pictures of the shift linkage, I may not have taken it even though I had the lever, and here is the picture I have of that.

Do you mean this?

https://supermotors.net/getfile/937321/thumbnail/tcaseshifter87sliding.jpg

Trent has a 1987 F250... I thought he said the shifter was the same as Bullnose but I’ll ask. Maybe he can take pics if it was a 1 year deal. His truck is a T19 though, not auto.

Trent has a 1987 F250... I thought he said the shifter was the same as Bullnose but I’ll ask. Maybe he can take pics if it was a 1 year deal. His truck is a T19 though, not auto.

Mine's an '87.

The stick bolts to a stub of the linkage and comes out the top of the tunnel.

I had no idea it was a unique system, but I can take pictures tomorrow if it helps.

The 1987 linkage is unique... Trent says he’s parting the truck out so if you think you may want this, send him a message on FB:

6AFCF8BC-F4CC-4D28-B197-90B567551E79.thumb.jpeg.01da8d71202f46ecdc32c0320571e3e6.jpeg

9746EE11-D282-4F4E-9288-A1A77344D97D.thumb.jpeg.a36fdba66b5e1731e38bc8d6a4ea6f9f.jpeg

The 1987 linkage is unique... Trent says he’s parting the truck out so if you think you may want this, send him a message on FB:

Wow! Was gone most of the day with eye doctor appointments, more on later, and things go bonkers. Thanks, guys!

I've messaged Trent, whom I've been messaging with in the background re a DS-II conversion on a 90's truck, and he says he won't want much and will get me better pictures. So, we sorta have a path forward.

Thanks again, guys. :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow! Was gone most of the day with eye doctor appointments, more on later, and things go bonkers. Thanks, guys!

I've messaged Trent, whom I've been messaging with in the background re a DS-II conversion on a 90's truck, and he says he won't want much and will get me better pictures. So, we sorta have a path forward.

Thanks again, guys. :nabble_smiley_good:

I missed a bunch of posts...

I keep hearing this... that the 1356 is stronger... but is it?
Yes. The 1356 was used in 7.3L PSTD F350s & heavier. None of the older t-cases could stand up to that.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/76019/thumbnail/tcase-id-8793.jpg

...it has a rear slip yoke which is weaker and more prone to wear and problems.
The pickup version has a rear slip yoke, but Broncos have both fixed yokes.
Personally I wouldn’t rate the 1345 as inferior in terms of strength.
BW seems to, since it was never supplied for F350s.
I have read that the 1356 shifts more smoothly on the fly...
Than what? I can't tell a difference in the 2H-4H shift from the NP208F to the BW1356. I've never driven a 1345.
If the E4OD is much longer...
It's the longest, heaviest, and strongest transmission in these trucks, and for many years later (probably EVER in a light-duty pickup).
...you may need a linkage specific to it.
There's nothing special about the various link bars, other than length, which is easy to adjust with a welder.
But IDK if the mounting bosses are the same.
If you mean the t-case mounting surface: yes, they're the same for virtually all fullsize Fords.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/652266/thumbnail/tcaseboltpattern.jpg