Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

I don't see a 'subscribe to this thread' option here.....

Jim - At the very top under Options - Subscribe via email.

Yes, I could clear-coat truly blasted aluminum, if that's what you mean. The confusion here is that the powder I've been using is Blasted Aluminum, so I don't know if you meant the powder or the aluminum with a blasted finish.

But, it isn't always easy to put a coat of clear on a previously-coated finish. That's because the finish cuts down on the electrostatic attraction of the next layer.

Given that, I like to use a powder that has the color but not the texture, and I think this Silver Lining is "it".

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim - At the very top under Options - Subscribe via email.

Yes, I could clear-coat truly blasted aluminum, if that's what you mean. The confusion here is that the powder I've been using is Blasted Aluminum, so I don't know if you meant the powder or the aluminum with a blasted finish.

But, it isn't always easy to put a coat of clear on a previously-coated finish. That's because the finish cuts down on the electrostatic attraction of the next layer.

Given that, I like to use a powder that has the color but not the texture, and I think this Silver Lining is "it".

Where are your engine dyno sheets for Dad's truck located?

I am about to post a link here to a FB page called "302, 351W and 460 parts". So get ready for some traffic.

Where are your engine dyno sheets for Dad's truck located?

I am about to post a link here to a FB page called "302, 351W and 460 parts". So get ready for some traffic.

I don't know that I have the dyno sheets posts here. But I'll look.

Traffic to the site or the forum - or both? Bring it on!

• 9 months later...

Yep, I remember. Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, at long last it is time for an update on Dad's truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

Today I got a little bit done. First, I didn't like the look of the frame where the bushing goes:

DSCN3350.jpg.ca4a77614fd26b4851573322806ceee7.jpg

So I wire-brushed it and flap-wheeled it and then finally used sandpaper on it. I think it is now smooth enough that it won't hurt the new bushing. And I'll paint it with POR-15 in a day or two.

DSCN3361.jpg.4319c430b6c0e5ac3d2467ecd7787a08.jpg

Then I set to work on some parts that hadn't gotten media-blasted. The springs aren't perfectly clean, but I think they are good enough to also take a coat of POR-15, although I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get to every nook and cranny with a brush.

Anyway, the bolts came out of the blast cabinet in great shape, so they'll get powder coated in a few days. And the rear transmission mount will also get POR-15'd.

DSCN3362.thumb.jpg.d4d5c1c51e518e9b6e345021b75595ce.jpg

Well, at long last it is time for an update on Dad's truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

Today I got a little bit done. First, I didn't like the look of the frame where the bushing goes:

So I wire-brushed it and flap-wheeled it and then finally used sandpaper on it. I think it is now smooth enough that it won't hurt the new bushing. And I'll paint it with POR-15 in a day or two.

Then I set to work on some parts that hadn't gotten media-blasted. The springs aren't perfectly clean, but I think they are good enough to also take a coat of POR-15, although I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get to every nook and cranny with a brush.

Anyway, the bolts came out of the blast cabinet in great shape, so they'll get powder coated in a few days. And the rear transmission mount will also get POR-15'd.

Got a bit done today, albeit not all that I was hoping for. Basically, "all" I got done was to touch up the frame in four places, and painting the front springs and the transmission mount.

Here are the springs, although the second coat of paint is still wet in this pic:

Front_Spring_-_Painted.thumb.jpg.da3836613948094a1856ee13e92e7cd5.jpg

And, the other day I bolted the shock mounts onto the radius arms. But, I did it a bit different than Ford did it. That's because the shock mounts usually just bolt on with no washers. However, as the bolt or nut heads turn while you are tightening them that will take the powder coating off. I had the right washers and discovered there was more then enough length on the bolts, so here's a pic of one:

Radius_Arm_and_Shock_Mount.thumb.jpg.c3e291ec71f4ad6e148970ebbda29e98.jpg

And here's a closeup, showing no scrapes or scratches. But my question is - what do you think about having plated washers showing?

Radius_Arm_Shock_Mount_Closeup.thumb.jpg.9ce4b599b0da0d7bf23912024c3a0b70.jpg

Got a bit done today, albeit not all that I was hoping for. Basically, "all" I got done was to touch up the frame in four places, and painting the front springs and the transmission mount.

Here are the springs, although the second coat of paint is still wet in this pic:

And, the other day I bolted the shock mounts onto the radius arms. But, I did it a bit different than Ford did it. That's because the shock mounts usually just bolt on with no washers. However, as the bolt or nut heads turn while you are tightening them that will take the powder coating off. I had the right washers and discovered there was more then enough length on the bolts, so here's a pic of one:

And here's a closeup, showing no scrapes or scratches. But my question is - what do you think about having plated washers showing?

I think it looks great Gary!

Amazing, the amount of time and care you put into this.

Do you have plastic lined sockets or something?

I'd like to know how many pounds of powder you go through when you're finally finished.