Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

EDIT: I've added in a document that I'm writing to bring together all of the various threads and posts about this truck:

Apparently I don't have a thread/topic about the whole of Dad's truck, just ones for EFI & E4OD. But there are lots of little details that will get lost if I don't have a place to capture them, so here's a thread about those.

Having said that, there is a question if this ought to be in the Dad's Truck project topic, so let me know what you think as I can move it easily.

Anyway, today I got a bit done toward the front suspension/driveline. I cleaned and media-blasted the two stub axles. That isn't as easy as I'd expected since there are things that need to be protected from the blasting, and there are lots of cracks and crevices in which grease hide. And if the grease isn't gotten out before the part goes in the powder coating oven it'll melt and run out from its hiding place and ruin the finish. So, I may have to bake the parts in the oven for an hour prior to coating them with powder just to bake the grease off.

Then, once they come out of the pre-bake I have to wash them again with brake cleaner and then put high-temp tape on the not-to-be-coated places, including the bearing race, splines, and the u-joint cup bores. So these things are fiddly!

Anyway, here's a before/after on the two shafts. I'm going to be coating them with Eastwood's Silver Lining instead of the Blasted Aluminum I've been using as the Silver Lining has a smoother finish and may not hold dirt/grease as easily as Blasted Aluminum.

Before_and_After_On_Axles.thumb.jpg.79fa10bd04403f788311a6c2dcdc1b27.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could just copy the entire 200 page micro-analysis from FTE:nabble_anim_blbl:

Don't think I haven't thought of that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But it ain't that easy as each post needs to be copied. Which means you could edit out some of the rabbit-chasing. But, there's usually a reference to said rabbit some place later, and then the thread is broken.

Don't think I haven't thought of that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But it ain't that easy as each post needs to be copied. Which means you could edit out some of the rabbit-chasing. But, there's usually a reference to said rabbit some place later, and then the thread is broken.

Got the front axle shafts ready for powder coating today, but didn't actually get them coated. Tomorrow.

And I did have to bake them in the oven at 400 for an hour to get rid of the grease. And scrub the grease out of the splines. And polish some bearing races. And then mask off the splines and bearing races to prevent them from getting coated.

And last, mask the u-joint cup bores. Man, that was the hard one. I first tried to put tape inside them, but that didn't work at all. Finally I found some aluminum tubing that slips in the bores nicely, and that looks like it'll solve the problem.

So now they are hanging in the booth waiting to be coated. And I hope all of the grease is out of the cracks and recesses. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Got the front axle shafts ready for powder coating today, but didn't actually get them coated. Tomorrow.

And I did have to bake them in the oven at 400 for an hour to get rid of the grease. And scrub the grease out of the splines. And polish some bearing races. And then mask off the splines and bearing races to prevent them from getting coated.

And last, mask the u-joint cup bores. Man, that was the hard one. I first tried to put tape inside them, but that didn't work at all. Finally I found some aluminum tubing that slips in the bores nicely, and that looks like it'll solve the problem.

So now they are hanging in the booth waiting to be coated. And I hope all of the grease is out of the cracks and recesses. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I can confirm that the blasted aluminum finish holds oil & grease quite well. Had I known this, I probably would have chosen something else for the valve covers on my Cummins.

I can confirm that the blasted aluminum finish holds oil & grease quite well. Had I known this, I probably would have chosen something else for the valve covers on my Cummins.

Paul - Your cover is just blasted? We didn't powder coat it? Or did we?

As for Dad's truck, I got the axle shafts PC'd today with the Silver Lining powder, which is smooth. Here's a shot of the parts hanging in the oven and you can see the pieces of tubing that I used to mask the u-joint bores as well as the tape on the splines and races:

Axle_Shafts_In_Oven.thumb.jpg.02637748c7e1197465980b3a6f3c6a05.jpg

And here are the parts with the masking removed:

Axle_Shafts_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.ad3b36efe3201a0205605e1db53cae96.jpg

Now I remember! Yes, we did PC them - Blasted Aluminum. :nabble_smiley_good:

Replying mostly to sub this thread.

Is it possible to clearcoat over the 'blasted aluminum' PC?

Would it flow out and bond in the oven?

Giving the valve covers less tooth and a chance to be cleaned.

I can see how that finish might not be the best choice for a diesel engine that gets work done.

Replying mostly to sub this thread.

Is it possible to clearcoat over the 'blasted aluminum' PC?

Would it flow out and bond in the oven?

Giving the valve covers less tooth and a chance to be cleaned.

I can see how that finish might not be the best choice for a diesel engine that gets work done.

I don't see a 'subscribe to this thread' option here.....